Overwhelmed!!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Overwhelmed!!

Post by Surupe »

Hi everyone!
I need some guidance with cholesterol levels.
I ended up with an awful genetic jackpot. I’m Apoe 4/4, LDLR rs41291058 Hetero CT, ApoB rs6413458 Hetero AG, AND PCKS9 rs662799 Hetero AG. The last 3 are genes that code for familial hypercholesterolemia. I’d say it is extremely rare to have all 4 cholesterol gene mutations.
All this to say, how do I lower my ldl levels without statins or PCSK9 inhibitors? I’ve tried artichoke extract, plant sterols and stanols, red yeast rice, Cholestid, optimizing thyroid and hormones, diet, and exercise. The levels don’t budge.
Any other ideas that could lower ldl?
E4/E4
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Overwhelmed!!

Post by MicheleCC »

Hi Surupe, have you considered bile flow? Exercise and artichoke help with bile flow, but I'm thinking ox bile supplements, along with fiber and bitters. I've seen many clients over the years who have seen their cholesterol, esp. LDLs, drop when they increase their bowel movements by adding more dietary fiber and bitter foods. Some relied more on supplements (pectins, oat bran) and digestive bitters (gentian) to jump start the process. More than any other foods, I'd have to say apples, grapefruit, beets and dandelion greens have proven most helpful for people I've worked with.

Given your genetic stack, you might consider investigating your microbiome to see what secrets it holds for you. Viome offers a consumer direct test that may offer some insight.

I personally have the genes for poor fat metabolism (choline, Vit D, etc) and have low cholesterol, but high CRP and Lp(a). Have you had a particle size test?

Warm regards,
Michele
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MicheleCC »

Surupe wrote:Hi everyone!
I ended up with an awful genetic jackpot. I’m Apoe 4/4, LDLR rs41291058 Hetero CT, ApoB rs6413458 Hetero AG, AND PCKS9 rs662799 Hetero AG. The last 3 are genes that code for familial hypercholesterolemia. I’d say it is extremely rare to have all 4 cholesterol gene mutations.
All this to say, how do I lower my ldl levels without statins or PCSK9 inhibitors? I’ve tried artichoke extract, plant sterols and stanols, red yeast rice, Cholestid, optimizing thyroid and hormones, diet, and exercise. The levels don’t budge.
Hi Surupe,
Have you considered bile flow specifically? Exercise and artichoke help with bile flow, but I'm thinking ox bile supplements, along with fiber and bitters. I've seen many clients over the years who have seen their cholesterol, esp. LDLs, drop when they increase their bowel movements by adding more dietary fiber and bitter foods. Some relied more on supplements (pectins, oat bran) and digestive bitters (gentian) to jump start the process. More than any other foods, I'd have to say apples, grapefruit, beets and dandelion greens have proven most helpful for people I've worked with.

Given your genetic stack, you might consider investigating your microbiome to see what secrets it holds for you. Viome offers a consumer direct test that may offer some insight.

I personally have the genes for poor fat metabolism (choline, Vit D, etc) and have low cholesterol, but high CRP and Lp(a). Have you had a particle size test?

Warm regards,
Michele
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Surupe wrote:Hi everyone!
Hi Surupe: Can you tell us what your levels are, and if you have had an NMR with particle numbers and IR Scores? A lot of knowledgeable people here can help you if we can see your numbers. As Apoe 4's we all struggle with higher ldl but that's not the whole picture. Take a deep breath and know there's always something we can do, no matter what our genes are.

Roxanne
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Thank you for your thoughtful response!!
I have delved into my microbiome and have Methane predominant Sibo. I also did a GI effects from Genova which revealed high levels fecal fat, triglycerides and phospholipids. I also have of 4 types of Bacteroides that are very high, high levels of pseudoflavonifractor, and zero detectable levels of akkermansia. The report showed I have an imbalance with Beta-glucoronidase.
I’m treating with SBIprotect and Atrantil since I could not tolerate the antibiotics or Candibactin.
I’ve been afraid to add fiber since my gut is so messed up right now. Do you think that would cause additional problems?

LDL p is 1798, small LDL is 860, OxLdl is 55 (low), Triglycerides are 152. LP-IR score is 56. I’m not sure what a NMR is. I got a full report from Cleveland Heart Labs which shows 14 values of lipids.
E4/E4
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Surupe wrote:Thank you for your thoughtful response!!
I have delved into my microbiome and have Methane predominant Sibo. I also did a GI effects from Genova which revealed high levels fecal fat, triglycerides and phospholipids. I also have of 4 types of Bacteroides that are very high, high levels of pseudoflavonifractor, and zero detectable levels of akkermansia. The report showed I have an imbalance with Beta-glucoronidase.
I’m treating with SBIprotect and Atrantil since I could not tolerate the antibiotics or Candibactin.
I’ve been afraid to add fiber since my gut is so messed up right now. Do you think that would cause additional problems?

LDL p is 1798, small LDL is 860, OxLdl is 55 (low), Triglycerides are 152. LP-IR score is 56. I’m not sure what a NMR is. I got a full report from Cleveland Heart Labs which shows 14 values of lipids.
Surupe:

An NMR is a lipoprofile that directly measures the different particle numbers and size of cholesterol, which is what you got. What is your HDL? The good news is that your oxldl is low, your trigs are a bit high, and your LP-IR score is high.
As a 4/4 it's normal to have an LDL higher than other apoe's, but if you can bring your small LDL lower that would be one of the things to tackle first together with your IR score. Did they test insulin and A1C? In my opinion and those of others on this forum, these markers are the most important. Have you read the wiki on insulin resistance? That would be a good place to start.

I do take niacin 500mg (make sure it is the one that produces a flush for it to work) every day and that seems to help with triglycerides, YMMV. Also, going lower on your carb intake will help with trigs and to bring the small ldls lower. Tincup and Theresa are very knowledgeable on this area and I'm sure they will chime in and give you more thorough information.

In the meantime, baby steps are the way to go, start one thing at a time, be patient with yourself, and enjoy the journey. Let us know how you do, we are all learning together.

Roxanne.
Surupe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Surupe »

Thank you so much, Roxanne. I also have one copy of the gene for type 2 diabetes! My A1C is 5.0 and glucose is 105. I’m not Keto but I do eat low carb. My diet is rigid due to Sibo stuff but I eat 1 apple a day. Everything else is low carb. I don’t think I can go any lower. Keto was awful for my thyroid.
I was on Niacin before but my cardiologist took me off it because he thought it was dangerous. Maybe I should try it again. My HDL is now 55 which is right where I want it.

I might try some of the stuff that Michele suggested.
I appreciate your insights! Honestly, with my profile, I think my cholesterol looks pretty good.
E4/E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Ox bile might also help with your gut. In his book Dirty Genes, Ben Lynch lays out a protocol for gut problems, and I found that 2 of his recommendations, Oil of Oregano and Ox Bile were very helpful to me.