Osteoporosis and ketogenic diet link?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Gigi
Contributor
Contributor

Osteoporosis and ketogenic diet link?

Post by Gigi »

I am posting this for a friend who is in her early 60's, an avid runner and a 3/4. This seems relevant for many of us:

I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. There was a recent article in the New York Times about a relationship between osteoporosis, the ketogenic diet, and women athletes. A pediatrician who works with epileptic children who are on ketogenic diets said that all of his patients have horrible bones. I’m wondering if others have found this to be an issue and what they are doing about it?

many thanks!
Gigi
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Osteoporosis and ketogenic diet link?

Post by Plumster »

It might be a more urgent issue for those on an animal-based keto diet?
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/keto-d ... e-density/
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Osteoporosis and ketogenic diet link?

Post by Tincup »

Gigi wrote:I am posting this for a friend who is in her early 60's, an avid runner and a 3/4. This seems relevant for many of us:

I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. There was a recent article in the New York Times about a relationship between osteoporosis, the ketogenic diet, and women athletes. A pediatrician who works with epileptic children who are on ketogenic diets said that all of his patients have horrible bones. I’m wondering if others have found this to be an issue and what they are doing about it?

many thanks!
Gigi
My keto wife has a T-score of 1.1 or thereabouts (means her bone density is 1.1 times the mean bone density of a 30 year old woman - she was 58 at the time). I'm not sure the epileptic children's diets are optimal. There are a lot of ways you can do keto.
Tincup
E3,E4