Veggie burgers?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Veggie burgers?

Post by Richard McG »

I LOVE veggie burgers!

Are there ANY ones that are Bredesen approved by you kind folks? On some searches, I have noticed that Bocca burgers come up and Morningstar ones.

https://www.bocaburger.com/

https://www.morningstarfarms.ca/en_CA/h ... IXEALw_wcB

Are these community approved in your humble opinion? :)

Not a great kitchen guy but willing to try to make homemade ones - any recipes you like? Enjoy my veggie burgers with a little kick/spicey lol!

ps. My practitioner says NON-GMO - Soy burgers are good to go? Do you agree?
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Veggie burgers?

Post by zc_hl »

Composition of one of the Boca burgers:

INGREDIENTS:
WATER, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, REDUCED FAT CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART-SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT ENZYMES, ANNATTO [COLOR], VITAMIN A PALMITATE), CORN OIL, WHEAT GLUTEN, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF THE FOLLOWING: CARAMEL COLOR, METHYLCELLULOSE, SOY PROTEIN, DRIED ONION, CHEESE POWDER (CHEDDAR CHEESE [MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES], CREAM, SALT, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, LACTIC ACID), SALT, NATURAL FLAVOR (NON-MEAT), HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, DISODIUM INOSINATE AND DISODIUM GUANYLATE, SESAME OIL, SPICES AND HERBS, DRIED GARLIC, MANNITOL, YEAST EXTRACT.

Reduced fat cheese but corn oil. Seriously?
zc_hl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zc_hl »

This is processed food. Do you a favor and not eat that :)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Before I switched to a whole foods diet, I used to love the Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burger. See the ingredients below, Some I would definitely avoid now, like vegetable oil, wheat, corn starch, etc.
water, cooked black beans (black beans, water), cooked brown rice (water, brown rice), onion, vegetable oil, whole kernel corn, soy protein, tomatoes, onion powder, wheat gluten, dried egg-white, bulgur wheat, green chiles, modified milk ingredients, corn starch, spices, tomato powder, tomato juice, salt, garlic powder, natural flavour, paprika, soy sauce powder (soybeans, wheat, salt), jalapeno pepper, maltodextrin, acacia gum, onion juice concentrate, carrot juice concentrate, citric acid, xanthan gum, turmeric.
That said, it would be pretty easy to modify the recipe to fit within Bredesen guidelines. This looks like a fun version to experiment with. I would consider less "breadcrumbs" and substitute with almond flour.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Ditto what Julie said, used to love Morningstar black bean burgers and their meatless chicken patties. Knowing what I know now, wouldn't touch them, and just about all processed food, with a ten foot pole.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Roger Dodger that's what I thought. Noticed it on another post about Boca Burgers on a menu. They must have been hand made. Thanks, Julie for the "fun version" will use that from now on.
Stay safe guys!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Richard McG wrote:I LOVE veggie burgers!

Are there ANY ones that are Bredesen approved by you kind folks? On some searches, I have noticed that Bocca burgers come up and Morningstar ones.

ps. My practitioner says NON-GMO - Soy burgers are good to go? Do you agree?
We are Gundry patients. Gundry's list and Bredesen's are pretty congruent. Gundry would nix the soy because of lectins, he does allow fermented soy, however (like miso, tempeh & natto). In the third paragraph of this link it says, "most recent food lists". If you click on lists, you'll see we've uploaded copies of Gundry's lists. On the lower right, you'll see "plant based meats". In that list is "Hillary's root veggie burger." There are minor ingredients that are not compliant, but Gundry thought it is OK. Since my uploaded list is a few years old, decided to look at Gundry's site for the most recent. Hillary's root veggie burger is there on the 4th page of the list.
Tincup
E3,E4
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Thanks, Tincup! I will print out that recipe also. Hitting the kitchen this weekend. My wife is going to assist just to make sure I don't screw it up :)

Gundry has some amazing points. I do get confused sometimes though. My Bredesen practitioner though is not 100% on board with Gundry as opposed to Bredesen. I guess it is an evolving science.
Hboroughs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hboroughs »

We absolutely love Amy's Sonoma burgers. The oils used are maybe not ideal, but at least they are the last ingredient. We saute them 6 minutes per side right from the freezer (with a little avocado oil), top with an avocado and serve on top of salad greens. Delicious but not for every day consumption if you are staying away from Omega-6 oils.

organic quinoa, organic mushrooms, organic onions, gluten free oats, filtered water, organic walnuts, organic celery, organic carrots, organic garbanzo flour, organic potatoes, sea salt, expeller pressed high oleic safflower and/or sunflower oil, organic garlic
marigold
Contributor
Contributor

Post by marigold »

How much animal protein should be eaten by someone with the APOE 4 gene? Where can I find info on the best diet? I do have the Bredesen Book The End of Alzheimer's. Any other helpful books?