How long for dietary change to show up in bloodwork

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

How long for dietary change to show up in bloodwork

Post by FitFoodie »

I've googled this and seen three months, but I'm curious to hear your experiences about how long you have to eat differently for it to possibly show up in your bloodwork, particular lipid profile.
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How long for dietary change to show up in bloodwork

Post by aphorist »

FitFoodie wrote:I've googled this and seen three months, but I'm curious to hear your experiences about how long you have to eat differently for it to possibly show up in your bloodwork, particular lipid profile.
In most RCT studies, it's at least 1 month.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Dave Feldman has documented large day-by-day lipid differences related to dietary changes via extensive self-testing. He has developed a theory - the lipid energy model - to explain that variability along with other important discrepancies between the conventional wisdom and what the world's collective research data from many studies indicate. All the details are available on his website.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

FitFoodie wrote:I've googled this and seen three months, but I'm curious to hear your experiences about how long you have to eat differently for it to possibly show up in your bloodwork, particular lipid profile.
Marc talks about Dave Feldman's work and, as I recall, Dave saw things in 3-5 days - he had a specific number of days that I don't recall without going back to his site. Personally, I know I can make things happen quickly, perhaps even over night and certainly in a few days.

My highest LDL reading (~159 mg/dL) was on the 7th day of a 7 day water fast. My Tg's were 126 mg/dL, which is very high for me. Why? Because fasting I was using fat for fuel and it needs to be transported. Gundry and I chatted about this on a consult. More typical values for me would be LCL-c of 107 mg/dL and Tg's in the 60 mg/dL range. I can change things overnight. Gundry wants us to have Tg's <50 and I told him the only way for me to get there would be to carb up the night before the blood draw - keeping my fat in my fat stores because of the higher carbs. I'm always in mild ketosis. Now, for most folks on a high carb diet, reducing carbs will typically reduce Tg's.

Insulin is very pulsitile, can can change in minutes. Hence fasting insulin values can move around quite a bit. Catherine Crofts' research with Joseph Kraft's data suggest that insulin is best "stress tested." Either on a 5 hour Kraft glucose/insulin challenge test or at exactly two hours after glucose bolus or carby meal. You can search our site for both Kraft and Crofts' work.
Tincup
E3,E4
FitFoodie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by FitFoodie »

Thank you all for the interesting replies. I scanned the Feldman page and will read more. Already it resonates. I'm not eating keto, but suspect I'm a "lean mass hyper-responder." Ever since I've had control of my diet (post-college cafeterias), I've energized with fat: dairy, olive oil and nuts. I eat other stuff, but those are the foods I eat more of than the average person imo.
My weight is at the low end of normal and doesn't move much, whether I'm breastfeeding post-partum, sitting in an office all day, or running around and working out regularly.
I spent Jan-Mar eating my normal diet minus refined sugar and dairy and meat. A lot more sardines and broccoli. About when I was planning to get bloodwork, covid lockdown happened.
After my mom died in April, I lost steam and returned to a lot of cheese, buttery treats, and some non-fish meat.
I'm donating blood in 10 days and apparently they give you lipid numbers (along with a covid antibody test). I'm using this as motivation to get back on my test-eating plan. Sounds like the changes I make now might show up.
I have my old numbers in an email to myself. They're remarkably consistent. I don't like how the triglycerides have crept up though.
Ratio 3.2
Total 247
HDL 78
LDL 149
Triglycerides 98
ratio 3.2
total 253
HDL 78
LDL 159
triglycerides 66
total 235
triglycerides 72
total 248
HDL 85
LDL 153
triglycerides 50
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'm of the opinion that a CAC scan is a better indicator of issues than lipids. If you have zero CAC score, then your risk is very low. If you have a non-zero CAC score, then, according to the Raggi paper, holding an annual volume increase to <15% gives you nearly the same risk as a zero score. CAC score thread., This guy materially regressed his CAC score.

Widowmaker movie.

More on CAC IHDA.ie
Tincup
E3,E4