High CRP and Homocysteine

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

High CRP and Homocysteine

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Hi, long time no chat!

My lab scores have significant decreased (homocysteine 10.2, hs CRP 8.1). My cholesterol is high (over 250) also. In the four months since the first lab test, I have significantly reduced red meat consumption and have been taking heavy duty B supplements - NO impact on the scores I received yesterday.

Historically, my CRP and cholesterol have been excellent. With supplementation I have never been able to make a dent in the homocysteine score.

I am thinking of statins. Thoughts team?
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: High CRP and Homocysteine

Post by floramaria »

Tiramisu1984 wrote:Hi, long time no chat!

My lab scores have significant decreased (homocysteine 10.2, hs CRP 8.1). My cholesterol is high (over 250) also. In the four months since the first lab test, I have significantly reduced red meat consumption and have been taking heavy duty B supplements - NO impact on the scores I received yesterday.

Historically, my CRP and cholesterol have been excellent. With supplementation I have never been able to make a dent in the homocysteine score.

I am thinking of statins. Thoughts team?
HI Tiramisu1984, Assuming you are already taking the methyl forms of the B vitamins. at what level?
On pg 176, The End of Alzheimer's, Dr Bredesen's recommendations for those with homocysteine over 6 are for daily intake of
20-50 mg P-5-P
1 mg methyl B12
.8 up to 5 mg methylfolate.
After 3 months on that regimen, if homocysteine is still high he recommends adding 500 mg trimethylglycine (TMG) . (I have also read
recommendation for higher TMG intake, but have no direct experience and could not find the reference for the higher intake.)
Re-check homocysteine 3 months after adding the TMG, then if still high, try lowering methionine containing foods in the diet. ) Nuts beef, Lamb, cheese, turkey, pork, fish, shellfish, soy, eggs, dairy, and beans.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Thank you so much Floramaria. I just checked my homocysteine from four months ago and it was actually higher (12.6), so the supplements are working. I am ordering TMG now. My TSH is high, and there is a correlation between high TSH and high cholesterol. Time to see a doctor.....Thanks!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Tiramisu1984 wrote:With supplementation I have never been able to make a dent in the homocysteine score.
I've taken up to 2- 500 mg TMG capsules (life extension) per day with no side effects. I'd say to split the dose, taking one in the morning and one at lunch just to be safe. I've seen some studies use up to 6 grams per day, but I'd probably only do that if you're working with a doctor.

Hard to know where in your methylation cycle might be off the rails. You might also be low on choline. If you don't already get enough (do you use Cronometer or other tracker?), try adding choline (food or supplement) or go straight to taking phosphatidylcholine (for PC, take the sunflower version). Creating PC, uses a lot of methyl groups, so supplementing that directly can spare your methyl groups for the work of converting homocysteine.

If that doesn't work, see Hacking Homocysteine for other ideas.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Thanks SusanJ. I'm in St. Pete BTW. I'm already supplementing with choline. I think I need a doctor's help. My labs have really taken a downward turn. Will try your recommendation.