5 lb potatoes and 1 dozen eggs?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

5 lb potatoes and 1 dozen eggs?

Post by baccheion »

I'm currently getting 2500-2600 calories by consuming a 5 lb bag of potatoes, 1 dozen Vital Farm alfresco eggs, and 1/2 tsp Redmond salt. I also take 60,000 IU vitamin D3, 2 Naturelo One Daily (for men) pills, and 40 sprays magnesium oil.

Any issues? Too much saturated fat (24.5g MUFA, 1.0g omega-3, 8.6g omega-6, and 20.1g SFA)? 375 mg of the omega-3s = DHA. Feedback?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: 5 lb potatoes and 1 dozen eggs?

Post by Tincup »

baccheion wrote:I'm currently getting 2500-2600 calories by consuming a 5 lb bag of potatoes, 1 dozen Vital Farm alfresco eggs, and 1/2 tsp Redmond salt. I also take 60,000 IU vitamin D3, 2 Naturelo One Daily (for men) pills, and 40 sprays magnesium oil.

Any issues? Too much saturated fat (24.5g MUFA, 1.0g omega-3, 8.6g omega-6, and 20.1g SFA)? 375 mg of the omega-3s = DHA. Feedback?
Curious what your objectives are?

There are short term only potato diets that appear to work, possibly because of the very low fat would limit production of insulin? If I were going to try this I would probably eat the potatoes separated in time from the eggs. I'd also be checking my glucose at 30/60/90/120 minutes after eating the potatoes as I'd be concerned of a big spike.

Transdermal magnesium chloride should be fine.

60,000 IU's D3/day for long term seems high. I take 10,000/day and most would consider that high. Maybe if you were in health care and exposed to concentrated COVID daily. I think Gundry does 100,000 for a day or two when he's going to see patients and then drops down for the rest of the week.
Tincup
E3,E4
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

Tincup wrote:
baccheion wrote:I'm currently getting 2500-2600 calories by consuming a 5 lb bag of potatoes, 1 dozen Vital Farm alfresco eggs, and 1/2 tsp Redmond salt. I also take 60,000 IU vitamin D3, 2 Naturelo One Daily (for men) pills, and 40 sprays magnesium oil.

Curious what your objectives are?

There are short term only potato diets that appear to work, possibly because of the very low fat would limit production of insulin? If I were going to try this I would probably eat the potatoes separated in time from the eggs. I'd also be checking my glucose at 30/60/90/120 minutes after eating the potatoes as I'd be concerned of a big spike.

Transdermal magnesium chloride should be fine.

60,000 IU's D3/day for long term seems high. I take 10,000/day and most would consider that high. Maybe if you were in health care and exposed to concentrated COVID daily. I think Gundry does 100,000 for a day or two when he's going to see patients and then drops down for the rest of the week.
Objectives? I plan to eat this way as I have been. I am now curious if it's problematic. It's been a few weeks with this combo now and I've been at 60,000 IU+ vitamin D3 since the beginning of 2018..
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

5 pounds of potatoes is around 400 grams of carbs. If your system handles that, wonderful. I'd be spiking my blood sugar through the roof, which is why I suggested glucose testing after eating them. As mentioned, some eat only potatoes for several weeks as a way to lose weight, and that works. Not sure what happens when you add in the eggs. Some who do the potato diet cook and then cool them to convert more of the starch to resistant starch.
Tincup
E3,E4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

The fact you’re even asking indicates that you believe there is something wrong with how you’re eating. While there is no THE ApoE4 diet, certainly if you’ve read the primer or any of the discussions on diet in our forums, you know your diet is quite different from what most ApoE4s who are concerned about their health are doing.

Your objective?
baccheion wrote:Objectives? I plan to eat this way as I have been
Typically ApoE4’s objectives are to avoid cognitive decline/Alzheimer's, to avoid cardiovascular disease to which we are also at greater risk, to overcome diminished cognitive function, increase insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, enhance the gut biome, to emulate the dietary ways of our ancestors (since ApoE4 is the ancestral gene), to lose weight, etc. But since your objective is "to eat this way" well then you’re accomplishing that objective.

Your curiosity if this is problematic can best be answered by your own body. If I were you I’d take Tincup’s advice and buy a quality glucometer to check your glucose at 30/60/90/120 minutes after eating the potatoes. Better yet, get a dual meter and check for ketones too. Ketones are a good proxy for insulin, if you can make some ketones (doesn’t need to be much) it reflects that your insulin is low, that’s a good thing. Insulin sensitivity is critical for ApoE4s. Remember how the primer emphasizes that GLYCAEMIC CONTROL TRUMPS LIPIDS, EVERY TIME.

If I were you, I’d also get some other lab tests done to see how your body is reacting to this diet. The wiki has an article on Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options. Just because you feel fine doesn’t mean your body is happy. I speak from first hand experience. I had no idea certain foods set off inflammation in me until my doctor ran certain tests.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
baccheion
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baccheion »

TheresaB wrote:The fact you’re even asking indicates that you believe there is something wrong with how you’re eating. While there is no THE ApoE4 diet, certainly if you’ve read the primer or any of the discussions on diet in our forums, you know your diet is quite different from what most ApoE4s who are concerned about their health are doing.

Your objective?
baccheion wrote:Objectives? I plan to eat this way as I have been
Typically ApoE4’s objectives are to avoid cognitive decline/Alzheimer's, to avoid cardiovascular disease to which we are also at greater risk, to overcome diminished cognitive function, increase insulin sensitivity, reduce inflammation, enhance the gut biome, to emulate the dietary ways of our ancestors (since ApoE4 is the ancestral gene), to lose weight, etc. But since your objective is "to eat this way" well then you’re accomplishing that objective.

Your curiosity if this is problematic can best be answered by your own body. If I were you I’d take Tincup’s advice and buy a quality glucometer to check your glucose at 30/60/90/120 minutes after eating the potatoes. Better yet, get a dual meter and check for ketones too. Ketones are a good proxy for insulin, if you can make some ketones (doesn’t need to be much) it reflects that your insulin is low, that’s a good thing. Insulin sensitivity is critical for ApoE4s. Remember how the primer emphasizes that GLYCAEMIC CONTROL TRUMPS LIPIDS, EVERY TIME.

If I were you, I’d also get some other lab tests done to see how your body is reacting to this diet. The wiki has an article on Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options. Just because you feel fine doesn’t mean your body is happy. I speak from first hand experience. I had no idea certain foods set off inflammation in me until my doctor ran certain tests.
I don't explicitly think something is wrong with the approach. I am wondering if it will negatively interact with being apoE 4/3.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

baccheion wrote:I don't explicitly think something is wrong with the approach. I am wondering if it will negatively interact with being apoE 4/3.
Well, re-read the primer, read some more of of our wiki articles, and keep reading the forums on diet, you'll start to put the pieces together. Also, do some testing like I said, your body will tell you if it is okay with that way of eating. If you're constantly spiking your glucose, are insulin resistant, experiencing inflammation, diminishing your gut microbiome, and not providing your brain enough DHA, well, that is typically bad news for someone with an ε4 allele.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

baccheion wrote: I don't explicitly think something is wrong with the approach. I am wondering if it will negatively interact with being apoE 4/3.
I would say there is a lot of potential for this to negatively interact with your ApoE3/4 status specifically, as well as your more general status of being a human being. Everyone is different and maybe for you this diet works. But both Tincup and TheresaB recommend testing so you can actually see the impact this diet is having. A marker I'd suggest is getting your HbA1c tested. That is a measure of blood glucose over a longer period of time than just your fasting glucose level. There is no way to know how you are being affected by this diet without looking at some basic biomarkers.
Given that glycotoxicity is a factor that can contribute to AD as well as most other chronic diseases, knowing that your diet is not putting you into the range of prediabetes or diabetes is a real concern. (Or it would be for me, given my own understanding/belief.)
TheresaB also mentions the microbiome. Personally , I feel that a healthy microbiome is an essential component of optimal health. Again, that is my belief, based on the reading that I have done. A diet lacking in diversity continued longterm could drive down the diversity of your microbiome; this in turn affects your immune response. Anything that undermines your total health is contraindicated for you as a 3/4.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health