Recommended Labs

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
dmaurice
Contributor
Contributor

Recommended Labs

Post by dmaurice »

Does anyone have a good list of what blood work/labs I should get done? I am APOE 4/4 and started fasting a year ago as well as mostly plant based low carb eating. I have never done a full RECODE blood panel. My GP does basic blood work each year but it is missing so many things that come up on the forums. I am due my next blood work and would like to see if he can add the additional recommended labs to the orders.

Thanks!!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Recommended Labs

Post by NF52 »

dmaurice wrote:Does anyone have a good list of what blood work/labs I should get done? I am APOE 4/4 and started fasting a year ago as well as mostly plant based low carb eating. I have never done a full RECODE blood panel. My GP does basic blood work each year but it is missing so many things that come up on the forums. I am due my next blood work and would like to see if he can add the additional recommended labs to the orders.

Thanks!!
Hi, dmaurice,
As someone with ApoE 4/4 myself, I've wrestled with that same question, and you may find a range of ideas on the forum. One place to start is this section of the Primer written by a practicing physician and ApoE4.info Board member who is also ApoE 4/4: Biomarkers:Blood Tests. You may also want to consider areas that seem to be commonly cited by both Dr. Bredesen and other researchers as needing to be boosted in those of us with ApoE 4.4, including Vitamin B-12 (methycobalamin is the version recommended, not the usual store version) and Vitamin D3.

If you have a family history of coronary artery disease or early heart attacks, you may want to check LDL-P (P= particle number) using an NMR lab test for cholesterol. If you have a family history of diabetes, you may want to focus more on tests that go beyond glucose levels to look at insulin resistance.

If you have to pay for tests yourself, check out the options here: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options. These companies and others often have semi-annual sales on lab tests, so if you subscribe to some annoying emails, you'll also hear when the sales happen.

Good luck!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

dmaurice wrote:Does anyone have a good list of what blood work/labs I should get done? I am APOE 4/4 and started fasting a year ago as well as mostly plant based low carb eating. I have never done a full RECODE blood panel. My GP does basic blood work each year but it is missing so many things that come up on the forums. I am due my next blood work and would like to see if he can add the additional recommended labs to the orders.

Thanks!!
This was posted in another group. It is a RECODE report that someone posted. You can get an idea what is in a full report.
Tincup
E3,E4
dmaurice
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dmaurice »

Thank you both!!!