My experience may help others eat the right foods

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

My experience may help others eat the right foods

Post by LBKnudson »

I have recently discovered Dr. Bredesen’s book and his treatment protocol fits what I have been doing for several years. I thought if I describe it, it may be helpful for someone on the forum.

About ten years ago, my wife and I did a program done by Jonny Bowden with good results in our fitness. He mentioned a link to a Dr. Blaylock to whose newsletter we have subscribed to for years. And recently, Jonny Bowden turned us on to Dr. Bredesen.

When I started, I made a chart that had every nutrient necessary to keep the human body healthy on the X axis. Along the Y axis, I put all the foods that are good for you and which fit roughly the equivalent of what Dr. Bredesen outlines.

Then I found out which of those nutrients were contained in the Y axis foods placing an X if the food had it. I didn’t delve into how much of each nutrient it had, just if it had it.

Then I determined which of the nutrient were not in any of the foods I had listed. For them I would need supplements.

It turned out that there are certain foods, particularly vegetables, which are very high in many important nutrients but which people rarely eat, for example, parsley. The other obvious ones like kale, spinach, broccoli, etc. people eat but not all of them daily.

So, I decided to experiment. I got a lot of kale, spinach, broccoli and parsley. I dehydrated them, then powdered them, then put them in capsules. I later added a few more like sage, oregano, rosemary, pomegranate peel and tangerine peel and did the same.

Daily I take two capsules of each plus supplements that were not contained in the foods on my list, plus I eat those foods. Many of the supplements that I take are those Dr. Bredesen recommends, and I avoid the things that he and Dr. Blaylock mention.

Although I am retired, I work in a factory which gives me plenty of exercise. The result is that although I am 72, I look and act like 60.

Perhaps this will give some of you ideas of how to stay healthy that fit into Dr. Bredesen’s protocol.
MicheleCC
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My experience may help others eat the right foods

Post by MicheleCC »

LBKnudson wrote:I have recently discovered Dr. Bredesen’s book and his treatment protocol fits what I have been doing for several years. I thought if I describe it, it may be helpful for someone on the forum.
...Although I am retired, I work in a factory which gives me plenty of exercise. The result is that although I am 72, I look and act like 60.

Perhaps this will give some of you ideas of how to stay healthy that fit into Dr. Bredesen’s protocol.
Welcome to the apoe4.info website, LBKnudson! Your post will more than likely make a difference for someone looking for ways to get the nutrients they need to optimize their health. This site is all about creating community by sharing our experiences, learning and supporting one another. We've got a great group of caring and knowledgeable people using this website. Glad to have you aboard!

How to get the most of the apoe4.info website
As a new user, I'd like to point your attention to a few things that may be of use to you as you browse and learn how to navigate the site. For starters, the "How-to" offers you tips on navigating, responding to posts, following threads and more.

The Primer
You've obviously already been learning and applying the dietary principles to optimize your health as taught by Dr. Bredesen. If it's of interest to you, the Primer is a good place to start learning more about all things apoe4. It's another excellent resource.

Your analytical approach and creative solution to meeting your nutritional needs is a great example of 21st century health care--personalized nutrition! Thanks again for sharing.

Warm regards,
MicheleCC
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Certified Nutrition Educator & Consultant
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (NANP)
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

LBKnudson wrote:So, I decided to experiment. I got a lot of kale, spinach, broccoli and parsley. I dehydrated them, then powdered them, then put them in capsules. I later added a few more like sage, oregano, rosemary, pomegranate peel and tangerine peel and did the same.

Daily I take two capsules of each plus supplements that were not contained in the foods on my list.
I love this idea! I've been getting ready to order a dehydrator for soaked nuts and was thinking it would be good to dehydrate herbs that I'm at risk of not using before they go bad. This is a cool idea to make custom supplements of some things I'm not eating regularly.

How to you powder the dehydrated vegetables?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Jmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jmac »

LBKnudson wrote:It turned out that there are certain foods, particularly vegetables, which are very high in many important nutrients but which people rarely eat, for example, parsley. The other obvious ones like kale, spinach, broccoli, etc. people eat but not all of them daily.

So, I decided to experiment. I got a lot of kale, spinach, broccoli and parsley. I dehydrated them, then powdered them, then put them in capsules. I later added a few more like sage, oregano, rosemary, pomegranate peel and tangerine peel and did the same.

Daily I take two capsules of each plus supplements that were not contained in the foods on my list, plus I eat those foods.
What a great idea! I buy parsley and other herbs in bulk and make my own teas --- but I like the idea of also encapsulating them as I can take the capsules when I travel and will get more if I add to my daily regime. Since I buy them dried all I'll have to do is powder 'em and encapsulate.

I can also give them to my husband who doesn't like any veggies aside from broccoli. I slide organic spinach, pumpkin seeds, broccoli and herbs into scrambled eggs and he doesn't complain, enjoys.

I'm thinking to powder the herbs, put in a bag, run a rolling pin over them?
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Wow. Your work is very impressive. Is it possible for you to share your x/y graph? I like the idea of dehydrating essentials. Sometimes I have more than I can eat before they go bad. For me though I think I would just add some to a smoothie. I don't think I would have the patience. Maureen
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

I use just an ordinary coffee grinder sort of appliance. Some of the stuff powders more easily than others. I tried to powder raspberry leaves but it's hard to get them into the capsules. Same for blueberries and raspberries. The leaves end up too fluffy and the berries get too sticky. So I just keep the berries dried but whole and I make tea of the raspberry leaves. I use an Excaliber dryer that cost me less than $200. I wiped out two smaller ones before I got the bigger one. I've got some kale in it today.

It's a very convenient system, especially if you want veggies quickly and you don't like the taste of some of them. Like I think I said once in capsules they don't take up much space at all and I think they'll store for quite a while. I'm sure there is some loss of quality but the idea is to have at least SOME of them in your body. It's okay to eat fresh salads, too, as much as you want. A lot of the stuff, like pomegranate peel, taste horrible so this is about the only way I can get it into my body.

As to what's on my x/y graph, I'll try to give you a list of what's on the y axis. You put your own foods on the x. Just look up what;'s in the various foods on Google.
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

Okay, here's my y axis stuff. I could put it in a column but it'll be easier for me to type it if I just type it:

apigenin, kaempferol, metal chelator, luteolin, lutein, myricetin, quercetin, coq10, iron, alpha linoleic acid, calcium, glutathione, anthocyanin, hesperidin, naringenin, nobiletin, tangeretin, zinc, catechin, ellegic acid, vitamins a, all the b's through 12, vit k, vit e, vit c, epicatechin, zeazanthin, magnesium, chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, selenium, iodine, BES5, argenine, potassium, chromium, copper, DHA, lysine, MSM, resveratrol, silymarin, EGCG, protease I, Maltase, Lipase, Lactase, Phytase, Acetyl L-carnitine, manganese phosphorus, protein, ferrulic acid, salvestrol 40, beta glucans, L or D carnosine, Rutin, Vit B17, Sulfuraphane, arabinogalactan, NAC, Indole-3-carbinole, astaxanthan, and proanthocyanidins.

Add any other ones you want. I did this a few years ago and haven't updated it or added anything to it. It just put me on the right track. My original question was: is there a small selection of food that would give you all the nutrients the body needs. Theoretically, if you had those foods preserved and stored you could exist healthy for long time if normal food channels were not available. (Look at my intro to see why I might be knowledgeable about that sort of thing.)

The problem is what do you do with this information once you have it. How do you actually incorporate it into your life so that it will help you be healthy?
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Thanks for the information.
LBKnudson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LBKnudson »

PS All you have to do is Google which foods contain _________ for the obscure ones. For the ones in normal nutritional rundowns just Google the nutritional content of _____________.