New Viome offering

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

New Viome offering

Post by apod »

I've had my eye on the Viome test for a while -- they seem to have a unique approach for producing actionable insights, beyond the typical gut health / microbe panel. This afternoon, I received an email about a new offering, they're calling the "Health Intelligence Service"
Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 7.51.44 PM.png
Is anyone thinking about trying out this service? Any data on how it compares to others wrt accuracy?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Viome offering

Post by DebbieG »

Here's a link to their Health Intelligence Service: https://www.viome.com/products/health-intelligence

Has anyone tried it?

Debbie
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

DebbieG wrote:Here's a link to their Health Intelligence Service: https://www.viome.com/products/health-intelligence
Has anyone tried it?Debbie
I just got the results from my Gut Intelligence test. Even that test has given me a lot to work on! Actually, I found the results to be pretty alarming, with many of the things they measure in the "needs improvement" range.
The food recommendations, especially my Super Foods which are those that will be most beneficial for me according to Voime's analysis, include many foods that I have avoided for the past several years as I have followed a ketogenic diet. Lots of legumes and grains. Even sprouted wheat is listed as a super food for me. ;)
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

My daughter did the new Viome test. It covered a lot of aspects of gut health, provided some cellular health info, and made food recommendations. For those they included a rationale for each item based on testing and reporting on a questionnaire. It looks useful to me and I might also get it.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

DebbieG wrote:My daughter did the new Viome test. It covered a lot of aspects of gut health, provided some cellular health info, and made food recommendations. For those they included a rationale for each item based on testing and reporting on a questionnaire. It looks useful to me and I might also get it.
She did Health Intelligence?
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

floramaria wrote:
DebbieG wrote:Here's a link to their Health Intelligence Service: https://www.viome.com/products/health-intelligence
Has anyone tried it?Debbie
I just got the results from my Gut Intelligence test. Even that test has given me a lot to work on! Actually, I found the results to be pretty alarming, with many of the things they measure in the "needs improvement" range.
The food recommendations, especially my Super Foods which are those that will be most beneficial for me according to Voime's analysis, include many foods that I have avoided for the past several years as I have followed a ketogenic diet. Lots of legumes and grains. Even sprouted wheat is listed as a super food for me. ;)
I've done the Viome test a couple of times (12/2017 and 5/2019). I was pretty sure that I'd nail the microbe diversity area because I eat a lot of home fermented food but sadly, my second results were pretty alarming too. Turns out that I wasn't feeding those good microbes so they weren't working for me. I hadn't been eating grains or legumes either and those are exactly what those good guys need in order to do their job for us and stay happy. I changed how I ate and started adding "some" whole grains, a couple of slices of a root vegetable, and incorporated "some" beans into my daily diet and I can tell the difference. I concentrate on getting a wide variety of vegetables and then add in some of the rest of the food groups each day. I also paid attention to how each food affected my glucose levels and inflammation. I have learned that I have sensitivities to "healthy" foods that are often recommended so now know that I need to pay attention to personalizing my food to me and not based on generalities. I was just reading the other day about how food has synergy with each other in ways that science hasn't totally figured out yet so eating the rainbow in vegetables and a large diversity of each food group is important. PM me if you'd like to chat more about this.
APOe4/4
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

floramaria wrote:
DebbieG wrote:My daughter did the new Viome test. It covered a lot of aspects of gut health, provided some cellular health info, and made food recommendations. For those they included a rationale for each item based on testing and reporting on a questionnaire. It looks useful to me and I might also get it.
She did Health Intelligence?
She did! She has some gut issues and much of what she routinely eats, which is generally pretty nutritious, was in her minimize list. Grains weren't on her enjoy or superfoods lists, though.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I just got my Viome Health Intelligence results. Overall, I'm not too impressed with this test, however, I don't know of others that are better.

On the current product page, they claim it takes 2-3 weeks for results. Once you purchase a kit, the members portal discloses that it'll likely take closer to 4 weeks. My results came after the 5th week. During the Covid-19 pandemic, I can definitely cut them slack here.

I can confirm that they have my correct date of birth in the survey and in my profile. Yet, on the Biological Age vs Actual Age, they are miscalculating my age by 1yr. It's one of those things where if they can't figure the math on a calendar, it doesn't make me confident that they can do the wizardry required to guess my age from a blood + stool sample.

They recommend that I avoid onions, because it contains fructo-oligosaccharides... while at the same time, they want to sell me a supplement with you guessed it... fructo-oligosaccharides.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.28.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.30.54 PM.png
The majority of my scores were average, with a "biological age" 3 years younger than my chronological. My Gut Microbiome Health scores were in the red, although I did max out the chart on not making much TMAO.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.35.48 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Thanks for taking one for the team. I go back and forth about these kind of tests, when I feel I still have some room for improvement in the gut arena.
apod wrote:...although I did max out the chart on not making much TMAO.
Well, that is at least some good news.

Do you eat a lot of eggs or use choline supplements at all? Just curious if you have low choline intake to begin with or it just suggests you have a good mix of gut bugs.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SusanJ wrote:Thanks for taking one for the team. I go back and forth about these kind of tests, when I feel I still have some room for improvement in the gut arena.
apod wrote:...although I did max out the chart on not making much TMAO.
Well, that is at least some good news.

Do you eat a lot of eggs or use choline supplements at all? Just curious if you have low choline intake to begin with or it just suggests you have a good mix of gut bugs.
Prior to this test, though not at the same time, I was supplementing Acetyl-L-Carnitine. During the test, I was supplementing TMG. I eat red meat and eggs at least a few times a month, sometimes a few times a week -- it varies. Interestingly, my oxalate digesting gut expression was at the complete opposite end, at 0 (and I eat a ton of spinach / dark greens). I am supplementing resveratrol and eat a lot of olive oil, which may improve the odds there.

I eat plenty of fiber, polyphenols, fermented foods (most recently fermented camel milk kefir, :?), yet, my diversity score still maintains a fairly low value on these kinds of tests.

A lot of the Viome gut scores that are in the red aren't very well explained. Like these ones (is microbial fin assembly a medically-accepted thing to warn patients about?):
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 9.33.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 9.34.18 AM.png