New Viome offering

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New Viome offering

Post by SusanJ »

apod wrote:Interestingly, my oxalate digesting gut expression was at the complete opposite end, at 0 (and I eat a ton of spinach / dark greens). I am supplementing resveratrol and eat a lot of olive oil, which may improve the odds there.
Not sure what that 0 means. Is 0 a bad thing?

If it's "bad", it could just mean you don't have much in the way of Oxalobacter formigenes, which unfortunately is common after one takes antibiotics. However, there are many other bugs that can also handle oxalate.

If that's good, it could be genetic and other dietary influences (like your camel dairy for calcium). Oxalates are definitely complicated.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SusanJ wrote:
apod wrote:Interestingly, my oxalate digesting gut expression was at the complete opposite end, at 0 (and I eat a ton of spinach / dark greens). I am supplementing resveratrol and eat a lot of olive oil, which may improve the odds there.
Not sure what that 0 means. Is 0 a bad thing?

If it's "bad", it could just mean you don't have much in the way of Oxalobacter formigenes, which unfortunately is common after one takes antibiotics. However, there are many other bugs that can also handle oxalate.

If that's good, it could be genetic and other dietary influences (like your camel dairy for calcium). Oxalates are definitely complicated.

Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!
This was the report in the way of my microbiome's oxalate metabolism.
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 2.27.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 2.28.52 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Interesting about the "oxalate metabolism pathway" but it makes me wonder what the heck they are looking at.

So, did they recommend to take out high oxalate foods like spinach?
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

SusanJ wrote:Interesting about the "oxalate metabolism pathway" but it makes me wonder what the heck they are looking at.

There's a bunch of recommendations, most of which I agree with as common sense diet guidelines. Spinach pops up on the avoid due to the oxalate pathway scores (+ my Uric Acid Production Pathways with a similar "Not Optimal" score.)

For some foods like almonds, it simply lists: Almonds - Minimize (20 nuts) without any context behind the recommendation. Kale is another one, just listed as "Kale - Minimize. (1 cup)."

I can see tremendous value if Viome can find a way to modulate an individual's scores over time through their recommendations + supplements, but I'm pessimistic that they're still trying to figure out how to do that.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Wonder if anyone else here has done the Viome test. Would be interesting to compare notes...
Sara Barthel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sara Barthel »

apod wrote:I just got my Viome Health Intelligence results. Overall, I'm not too impressed with this test, however, I don't know of others that are better.

On the current product page, they claim it takes 2-3 weeks for results. Once you purchase a kit, the members portal discloses that it'll likely take closer to 4 weeks. My results came after the 5th week. During the Covid-19 pandemic, I can definitely cut them slack here.

I can confirm that they have my correct date of birth in the survey and in my profile. Yet, on the Biological Age vs Actual Age, they are miscalculating my age by 1yr. It's one of those things where if they can't figure the math on a calendar, it doesn't make me confident that they can do the wizardry required to guess my age from a blood + stool sample.

They recommend that I avoid onions, because it contains fructo-oligosaccharides... while at the same time, they want to sell me a supplement with you guessed it... fructo-oligosaccharides.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.28.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.30.54 PM.png

The majority of my scores were average, with a "biological age" 3 years younger than my chronological. My Gut Microbiome Health scores were in the red, although I did max out the chart on not making much TMAO.
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 11.35.48 PM.png
Thanks for sharing your results and insights, apod, I found this so interesting! For stool tests, I love the Gut Zoomer by Vibrant Wellness because it appears to be the most comprehensive and sensitive/specific currently on the market however it would be interesting to run others on myself to look for trends. Additionally, I just wanted to add that I work with a lot of people with digestive disorders and often people who cannot tolerate foods containing FOS can tolerate supplements with FOS.
Sara Barthel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sara Barthel »

apod wrote:
SusanJ wrote:Interesting about the "oxalate metabolism pathway" but it makes me wonder what the heck they are looking at.

There's a bunch of recommendations, most of which I agree with as common sense diet guidelines. Spinach pops up on the avoid due to the oxalate pathway scores (+ my Uric Acid Production Pathways with a similar "Not Optimal" score.)

For some foods like almonds, it simply lists: Almonds - Minimize (20 nuts) without any context behind the recommendation. Kale is another one, just listed as "Kale - Minimize. (1 cup)."

I can see tremendous value if Viome can find a way to modulate an individual's scores over time through their recommendations + supplements, but I'm pessimistic that they're still trying to figure out how to do that.
Your comments on oxalates on this post got my wheels turning and I'd be very curious to know more about how they came to this conclusion as well or what aspects they are testing. If high uric acid, that can also be a sign of insulin resistance/blood sugar – since so many healthy foods contain oxalates I would probably want to do a deeper dive with something like an OAT (organic acids) test from Great Plains to find out more.

As for 'minimizing foods', my first question is whether these are foods that this person consumes on a regular basis? I work with a lot of people with digestive issues and when they have intestinal permeability and do a food sensitivity test all of the foods they eat on a regular basis show up as sensitivities. When they change their diet and retest, all of the new foods then pop up as sensitivities. The underlying issues is healing intestinal permeability but I always recommend people rotate foods so they're not eating the same things more frequently than every 72 hours. This helps with increasing bacterial diversity too!
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Sara Barthel wrote:...since so many healthy foods contain oxalates I would probably want to do a deeper dive with something like an OAT (organic acids) test from Great Plains to find out more.
An OAT test is what got me looking at oxalates in the first place, so I agree it's a good test if anyone suspects they are a problem. Even though I'm not an endogenous producer, I have other genetics in play. It's why I put a section in the Oxalate wiki about genetics. My family is full of kidney stone producers, and my issues are very much genetic. My body doesn't care that spinach is healthy. ;)

I've done a 4 day rotation on most foods for 10 years, and it certainly helped some with gut healing. But for me, lowering oxalates has been the game changer for both my gut health and overall health.

And thanks for the Gut Zoomer tip. Someday in the near future, I'd like to do another gut check to see if the tests match how I feel these days.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SusanJ wrote:Wonder if anyone else here has done the Viome test. Would be interesting to compare notes...
I have done it. Will post my results as soon as I have a chance to pull up the report. Yes, comparing will be interesting. I did the less comprehensive Gut Intelligence test from Viome.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Reposted quoting apod
Last edited by floramaria on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health