Chronically low oxygen saturation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Chronically low oxygen saturation

Post by Josiah »

I have become concerned about my chronically low SpO2 (averages 92-93% day and night). I was encouraged when Julie Gee responded to a FB post of mine suggesting that Dr. B would view my low SpO2 as a biomarker that definitely needed to be raised. My inclination is to begin supplemental oxygen immediately and continue until I could hopefully correct the underlying cause of my low SpO2. I have tried getting support for this plan from my two PCPs (VA and Medicare Advantage) and been met with little sympathy. They don't view 92% O2 saturation as a matter of concern.

I would like to upgrade my understanding of the research justifying why my MCI would benefit from raising my SpO2 up to 95 or 96%.
I'd also like to better educate myself about the connection between supplemental oxygen and blood oxygen saturation.
Any suggestions and/or links would be appreciated.
E3/E3 male age 84
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Chronically low oxygen saturation

Post by Julie G »

Hi Josh! I wish I had better news for you. I suspect that this is another case where Dr. Bredesen is suggesting "optimal" levels vs. what mainstream medicine considers to be "acceptable". As you know, normal oxygen saturation is between 97-100%. Dr. Bredesen would like to see nighttime saturation as close to daytime as possible with 96% being a cut-off for needing CPAP treatment. As you can see from the link that I shared that age and various health conditions can contribute to lower levels. Are you working with a FMP that has helped you pinpoint why yours are lower?

Especially if you have known vascular issues, Dr. Bredesen is a big fan of Exercise With Oxygen Therapy (EWOT). It simply involves breathing high levels of oxygen while exercising. This practice has been used in Germany since the early 1950s. It has lots of research to demonstrate efficacy and may be particularly helpful for those who are dealing with vascular issues that lead to poor oxygen delivery. You can read more about it here and use the link to find a facility near you.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Josiah wrote:I have become concerned about my chronically low SpO2 (averages 92-93% day and night).
What is the elevation where you live? As elevation increases, SpO2 decreases.
Tincup
E3,E4
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Josiah »

My elevation 482 above seal level.
E3/E3 male age 84
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Josiah wrote:My elevation 482 above seal level.
OK, so that doesn't apply to you.
Tincup
E3,E4
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by laureleastman »

Does anyone have experience with other ways to increase oxygen saturation other than the great options listed above (CPAP & EWOT)? Thanks in advance :)
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

laureleastman wrote:Does anyone have experience with other ways to increase oxygen saturation other than the great options listed above (CPAP & EWOT)? Thanks in advance :)
Tape your mouth at night. Breathing instructor Patrick McKeown has many books, here is one.

Get a pulse oximeter and monitor with breathing exercises. One friend uses this SpO2 ring device. This will allow overnight monitoring.

I'd experiment with various breathing exercises. One is the Wim Hof Method, website also, a number of exercises in Patrick McKeown's Oxygen Advantage book. A FB group devoted to Oxygen Advantage & other breathing techniques.

During many of these breathing exercises, you'll see your SpO2 drop during the exercise, but the key is what happens overnight. The mouth taping at night may be enough to prevent apnea during sleep and keep from a big drop then.

The concept in many exercises is to increase your serum CO2 sensitivity, so you can breathe MORE easily. Paradoxically, because of the Bohr Effect, your cells get more oxygen when serum CO2 is higher. This is because the higher CO2 (more acid or lower pH) weakens the affinity of hemoglobin for O2, therefore allowing it to disassociate more easily to get into the cells.

Another excellent, and recent book on the breathing topic is Breath, by James Nestor.
Tincup
E3,E4
laureleastman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by laureleastman »

Tincup you are amazing, thank you for taking the time to outline this for me and the many other readers who will benefit from your generous sharing of knowledge.
4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

laureleastman wrote:Tincup you are amazing, thank you for taking the time to outline this for me and the many other readers who will benefit from your generous sharing of knowledge.
You are certainly welcome!

I edited my line above, replacing less with MORE.
The concept in many exercises is to increase your serum CO2 sensitivity, so you can breathe MORE easily.

Another reference is Conscious Breathing: Discover The Power of Your Breath, by Anders Olsson. Anders did breathing experiments with James Nestor in his book above. Anders' site. I have his Relaxator device.
Tincup
E3,E4