omega-3 index won't budge

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

omega-3 index won't budge

Post by frankiesfriend »

Good afternoon,

I recently received the results of omega-3 testing from Omegaquant. Six months ago, my omega-3 index was 8.1. I was eating a vegan diet with a lot of nuts for protein at that time, so I decided to decrease the intake of nuts and add salmon and sardines to my diet. The only oils I use are avocado and olive oil, so I expected improvement with the recent test, but was surprised to learn it is again 8.1. In addition to fish (3 ounces two or three times a week), I supplement with about 800 -1000 mg DHA and 600 mg EPA, which I guess is too low.

I was thinking about taking plasmalogen oil sold by Prodrome Science. Their recommended daily dose would provide 725 mg DHA and 25 mg EPA. They advise against taking other omega-3 supplements because they don't believe they are needed. I am curious to know what omega-3 supplement (and fish intake) strategy some of you may have employed to achieve an omega-3 index of 10+, as recommended in the Bredesen protocol, and if your regimen includes plasmalogen oil with or without other supplementation.

Lastly, I wondered if the maximum omega-3 index one might achieve could be determined partly by genetics, such that for some people, an index of 10-12, considered optimum for E4's might be pie-in-the-sky.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: omega-3 index won't budge

Post by TheresaB »

frankiesfriend wrote:Lastly, I wondered if the maximum omega-3 index one might achieve could be determined partly by genetics, such that for some people, an index of 10-12, considered optimum for E4's might be pie-in-the-sky.
I’m a 4/4 and I regularly get my Omega-3 index in the desired 10-12 range. I supplement with fish oil such that the DHA component adds up to (at least) 1000 mg.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'm 3/4 and have run mine up to 17.9% (a bit high).

It takes up to 3 months to show a change in Omega-3 index tests.
Tincup
E3,E4
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

Thank you. I will increase the DHA supplementation. The Omegaquant report recommends against trying to decrease omega6, (which I did anyway by much reducing nut/seed intake), but instead to increase omega 3. My Omegaquant report also indicated that I was low in arachidonic acid, which might have resulted from lower intake of nuts and seeds. So I have my work cut out for me.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.
Tiramisu1984
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Tiramisu1984 »

Hi, I had this test too, but I don't see an index score. Is this EPA + DPA + DHA? My score is 5.6.