Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Targets for Ketosis using BioSense

Post by Julie G »

I have been playing around with the Biosense meter for the last few days. Lowest score I have been able to get is 37. I thought it was not working but when wife uses it she gets 0. Tired to eat a bunch of berries at lunch to see if I could lower it but no effect. Is it ok to be constantly at this high level.
Nm95ab, I'm very interested in your experience. Have you concurrently (or ever) tested BHB via finger sticks? Are you equally high there? I have a call later today with the CEO of Biosense and plan to share your experience to see if anyone else has ever reported the same. FWIW, they can check your meter remotely to see if it is out of calibration. That may be something that we need to arrange to ensure that you're getting accurate results.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Ok, I'm a little slow I think :)

SO 100 ACE's over the day (5 measurements) should >= 100 ACE's which when /10 (or 8) gives me a ketone of on average 1.0 over the day?
Do I have that even a little correct?

Sorry my masters is in military history lol

Thanks, friends.
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Richard McG wrote: SO 100 ACE's over the day (5 measurements) should >= 100 ACE's which when /10 (or 8) gives me a ketone of on average 1.0 over the day?
Not a user, but as I interpret Julie's post, correct. You should also be able to divide individual measurements by 8 to see the variability over the day.
Tincup
E3,E4
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Thanks, sir as always.

I have the latest software updates just today and gee I am blowing MAX ACEs of 40 each time so far. hmmm

So I guess my blood work should come in around 2.0 ketones. OMAD and usually I top on a good at .08-1.5. Will keep testing.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

SO 100 ACE's over the day (5 measurements) should >= 100 ACE's which when /10 (or 8) gives me a ketone of on average 1.0 over the day?
Hi Richard, the correlation between ACEs and BHB is not that straightforward. The team at BIOSENSE are learning that some people, who are very well keto-adapted, are blowing much higher numbers and for that population, the scale would be more like 20 ACEs = 1mM BHB. If you're blowing 40s, you would certainly fall into that population- kudos. The only way to know for sure is to test both, keeping in mind the lag time between the two ketones with BHB typically rising first. .

Also, see the formula below for determining the end of the day score. We've had a few folks mistakenly think they just need to add their readings.
___
To calculate the Ketone Score after 3 measurements:

Ketone score = Ketone score1 + Ketone score2
= Ketone score1 + 0.5*(ACE2 + ACE3)*(Time3 – Time2)
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Sorry, Julie what is BHB again....blood test/draw?

When did you take your 3 blood tests in the day usually?

Sorry, not sure if I follow the formula? Could you provide an exemplar with some rough numbers it pls?

Thanks again Julie and Tincup. You folks are amazing.

Oh, Julie is your book still coming out in August re. Amazon? Or can I buy it earlier elsewhere?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sorry, Julie what is BHB again....blood test/draw?

When did you take your 3 blood tests in the day usually?

Sorry, not sure if I follow the formula? Could you provide an exemplar with some rough numbers it pls?

Thanks again Julie and Tincup. You folks are amazing.

Oh, Julie is your book still coming out in August re. Amazon? Or can I buy it earlier elsewhere?
BHB is beta-hydroxybutrate typically obtained through finger sticks although it can be venous as well via a blood draw.

The BIOSENSE team recommends a minimum of 3 daily tests for 80% correlation with BHB. The correlation is higher with more testing. I like to recommend 3-5 daily tests; fasting, before breaking your fast, before each meal, and finally before bed. If you do OMAD, you can begin retesting again an hour or so after your meal.

Re. the formula, see if the graphs below help. And, you needn't bother yourself with it if you download the BIOSENSE app as the end of the day score will be automatically calculated for you.

Thank you for your kind words; not sure what book you're referencing. I helped Dr. Bredesen write "The End of Alzheimer's Program" that came out last summer. He has a new one featuring Alzheimer's survivors coming out in August and I plan to write a "Bredesen Protocol SIMPLIFIED" book (with a lot of nutrition and lifestyle info) that's at least a year out. :D
ketone_score_algorithm.pptx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie G wrote:
To calculate the Ketone Score after 3 measurements:

Ketone score = Ketone score1 + Ketone score2
= Ketone score1 + 0.5*(ACE2 + ACE3)*(Time3 – Time2)
So you are calculating the average ACE value for two measurements times the time difference. I assume Time1 & 2 are in hours?

I also assume to fully expand the equation (for clarity) you'd get:

Ketone Score = 0.5*(ACE1 + ACE2)*(Time2 – Time1) + 0.5*(ACE2 + ACE3)*(Time3 – Time2)
the correlation between ACEs and BHB is not that straightforward. The team at BIOSENSE are learning that some people, who are very well keto-adapted, are blowing much higher numbers and for that population, the scale would be more like 20 ACEs = 1mM BHB.
Not surprising as BHB and acetone are two different metabolites. From other studies, it appears that people tend to store less BHB as they get more adapted. From other acetone meters, acetone also seems more correlated with acetoacetate production as it occurs. Hence, may be more useful for someone with say epileptic seizures where the acetoacetate appears to be the active agent in preventing seizures.
Tincup
E3,E4
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Oh, thanks so much.......Julie yes I was referring to the book this August. Sorry, I thought you were heavily involved in that one also.

Thanks for the formula. I seem to just get 40s ACE all the time. Mind you have only done about 7 times in the last two days. My Blood ketones though are like .8 to 1.0 - 90% of the time.

Maybe the biosense was a bad investment on my part :)

Thanks, friends.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for the formula. I seem to just get 40s ACE all the time. Mind you have only done about 7 times in the last two days. My Blood ketones though are like .8 to 1.0 - 90% of the time.
Richard, I'm fascinated with you experience and want to better understand it. Have you tried eating a non-keto meal (or even just an apple) and then retesting an hour later? I'd be very interested to see if that lowers your number.