How to supplement PL-DHA

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Re: How to supplement PL-DHA

Post by MoJoe »

Hi Robin
We are revamping our plasmalogen formulations to increase its efficacy. In the interim the best food for absorption of PL-DHA is squid. It is low in the food chain, unusually high in DHA and has ethanolamine plasmalogens. From an environmental impact view the squid is sustainable and its relatively easier to buy fresh. Avoid farmed Salmon as the Canadian and Norwegian industry is riddled with problems of vested interests and those interests impact the quality. Krill oil is economically useless for supplying DHA. Prodrome's Neuro oil is far too expensive for what it is, it's a common oil and both it and slight (natural) chemical variations have been used since the mid to late eighties as a precursor for making plasmalogens.

Scientific articles can be downloaded free if you use the Sci-hub website and DOI.
MoJoe
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Hi Mojoe,

What I gather from your answer is that supplements do not carry the amounts we need, and that as vegetarians our only options would be to start eating fish (squid)? You write as if you own a company that manufactures supplements, is this correct? Also, what should be the intake as far as you know?

Robin
Concerned husband of an e4/e4.
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Supplements could deliver the amounts you need, but that amount is yet to be scientific elucidated. NeuroRegain delivers just 1 mg per two capsules daily, our product currently up to twenty fold more, and Prodrome's oil, according to their representative, nearly 900 mils of plasmalogens per day.

There appears to be evidence that NeuroRegain works for AD, from anecdotal evidence we believe that our product also works very well. The influence of APOE4 on the success of any treatment appears to be complicated. Whether the Prodrome's product has the conversion to Plasmalogens that they maintain is yet to be proved. but I do believe that the influence will be dose related and our revamping of our product will help discover that. A Bio-Tech friend once explained to me a dose analogy that illustrates a useful concept. It goes as thus. You are waiting for a bus, one comes along, whether it is empty or just half full, it matters not, you just want one seat and your need is met.

Yes we do run a company that makes products that we believe will help AD and we will sell an oil that will compete with Prodromes oil but I am not here for commercial reasons. This site is so very useful because most of the participants have been served a warning that there is an increased likelihood of AD in later life and their quest for treatment that will negate/ reduce that likelihood is invigorating.

I have friends / caregivers to whom we supply our products, mostly free. It is well known that sufferers of AD think that they are fine, no problems. It is frustrating that they then refuse any medication / supplements, and unless the caregiver is resolute then they just deteriorate.

This site is so different, as most of the participants are actively seeking to reduce their chances of succumbing to AD in later life. Ideas are shared as are results, there are no secrets. Ethanolamine Plasmalogens do work and these plasmalogens are at the heart of any treatment.
MoJoe
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Thank you so much. I'll have to chew on this!
mcpemberton2000
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mcpemberton2000 »

Hey Robinmg,

Good thoughts. Very cool how you are looking out for your wife’s health.

I’ve had similar questions. From what I read, it’s not that e4’s can’t process triglyceride DHA at all, it’s just they don’t process it very efficiently requiring either a higher dosage or higher dosage with more fish or omega 3 egg consumption. Rhonda Patrick confirmed that was true on one of her recent monthly Q&A with members. She takes N PURE 3 omega 3 which is only available in Norway. She has inside connection to get it so not available to us. That supplement is in tryglyceride form. Rhonda has one copy of E4. I think she takes 3-4 grams of Onega 3 per day. Wish I had better answers but my doctor has me on 2 grams of triglyceride form Bio Omega 1000 and I eat fish 2-3 times per week. Haven’t measured levels since I started that but plan to. A study cited in the thread above shows also that tryglyceride form does increase levels in the brain. Hope this helps.
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Although the statement that it does actually pass the blood-brain barrier might be true, I haven't seen any research out there that has any recommendations as to the daily amount of DHA one would need if bound to tryglycerides. Have you?

I can't figure out why the supplement you mentioned might be special by the way.

I myself found this supplement: https://www.amazon.com/NatureMyst-1250m ... B01N2V17NC
. Looks promising, what do you think?
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Hi Robin
That krill oil is rubbish. If its true to label you cannot extract Phospholipids (PL) with Super Critical CO2, you can only do so using an entrainer such as 20% ethanol with the CO2. Expecting pure CO2 to extract phospholipids is like expecting petrol and water to mix.
Phospholipids are very polar, pure CO2 super critical is very non-polar.

The company claims highest potency on the market, simply untrue with a PL of just 36%. Standard krill oil has a minimum of 40% PL.
If made in the USA you would expect them to be able to spell sugar correctly, it is professionally very sloppy to have spelling mistakes in your ingredient list, that list must be word perfect and accurate otherwise the FDA will jump all over you.

Krill oil is not a satisfactory answer in your quest for suitable supplements, let me dig around and see what I can find for you.

Prodromes Neuro oil is exorbitantly expensive at $10, 000 per kilo, there are other options but right at the moment and considering your vegan status you are between a rock and a hard place, that oil at $299 per month is probably your best option. I hope Goodenowe can reduce that price by at least 50%, that would make it more palatable for people on this forum.
Regards
MoJoe
MoJoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MoJoe »

Further evidence on effectiveness of Lyso form of PL.

Article lysophosphatidylcholine-EPA enriches both EPA and DHA in the brain: Potential treatment for depression. Journal of Lipid Research, jlr.M090464. doi:10.1194/jlr.m090464

From The results presented here show that although normally the brain EPA levels are very low (0.03
µmol/g), they can be increased by over 100-fold (to 4.0 µmol/g) by feeding LPC-EPA.
Furthermore, the brain DHA could be increased to the same extent as obtained with feeding
LPC-DHA (20). Since both EPA and DHA of the brain are increased by LPC-EPA, it may be
more beneficial than LPC-DHA, (which increases only DHA in the brain) for the prevention and
treatment of various neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease. Moreover, this
provides an opportunity to test whether the beneficial effects of EPA on mood disorders can be
enhanced if its concentration in the brain is increased. The enhanced expression of BDNF,
CREB, and 5-HT1A, and the increased phosphorylation of CREB, as well as reduced expression
of TNF-α in the brain show that increasing the brain EPA levels does result in physiological
responses commensurate with the known mechanisms for increased neuroplasticity and
cognition. Our results also show a significant increase in the EPA and DHA content of the retina
by LPC-EPA, but not by free EPA. Since the Mfsd2a-mediated transport of DHA has been
shown to be essential for normal retinal function (16), and since the increase in retinal EPA may
lead to increased production of elavonoids (44), dietary LPC-EPA could also benefit the retinal
health.

The results presented here show that although normally the brain EPA levels are very low (0.03
µmol/g), they can be increased by over 100-fold (to 4.0 µmol/g) by feeding LPC-EPA.
Furthermore, the brain DHA could be increased to the same extent as obtained with feeding
LPC-DHA (20). Since both EPA and DHA of the brain are increased by LPC-EPA, it may be
more beneficial than LPC-DHA, (which increases only DHA in the brain) for the prevention and
treatment of various neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease. Moreover, this
provides an opportunity to test whether the beneficial effects of EPA on mood disorders can be
enhanced if its concentration in the brain is increased. The enhanced expression of BDNF,
CREB, and 5-HT1A, and the increased phosphorylation of CREB, as well as reduced expression
of TNF-α in the brain show that increasing the brain EPA levels does result in physiological
by guest, on December 25, 2018 www.jlr.org Downloaded from
responses commensurate with the known mechanisms for increased neuroplasticity and
cognition. Our results also show a significant increase in the EPA and DHA content of the retina
by LPC-EPA, but not by free EPA. Since the Mfsd2a-mediated transport of DHA has been
shown to be essential for normal retinal function (16), and since the increase in retinal EPA may
lead to increased production of elavonoids (44), dietary LPC-EPA could also benefit the retinal
health.
MoJoe
robinmg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robinmg »

Hi MoJoe,

I think it's pretty amazing how much knowledge you have gathered and that you are comfortable in the scientific jargon in these detailed studies. I myself have trouble comprehending many of the mentioned terms. But I understand that the quoted article does support what you write about lyso-PL.

Best,
Robin
dng050
Contributor
Contributor

Post by dng050 »

My father has had increased trouble with word-finding and forgetting where he put his car keys etc. the last few years. He has one ApoE4 allele. After I put him on plasmalogens from NeuroRegain, he has said that he feels that his memory has improved. The episodes of forgetting come more seldom, is also my impression. He relates one episode where he had forgotten his grocery list, but nonetheless remembered the items he wanted to buy - which was very difficult previously.

I have now bought Prodome's plasmalogen oil. Currently not sure whether we should continue on NeuroRegain or try out the Prodome oil.