Phosphatidyl choline supplementation help needed

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Plum
Contributor
Contributor

Phosphatidyl choline supplementation help needed

Post by Plum »

Can someone please explain a few things to me that I am struggling to get my head around...

I know I need to take supplements to get choline as I can't get it from my diet. Which is best to take, choline or phosphatidyl choline?

How much do I need to take? I'm e3/e4.

What is used to make the choline/phosopphatidyl choline in the supplements? I am very allergic to a number of things so need to choose carefully. I am seeing some saying sunflower oil and I am assuming others are being made from soy. Are there any other options?

Many thanks for your help

Plum
Plum e3/e4
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Phosphatidyl choline supplementation help needed

Post by BrianR »

Plum wrote:Can someone please explain a few things to me that I am struggling to get my head around...

I know I need to take supplements to get choline as I can't get it from my diet. Which is best to take, choline or phosphatidyl choline?
Chris Masterjohn has some useful information on this page: The Choline Database (Scroll down to the section "What Are the Best Choline Supplements?')

As to the quantity to take, he states:
I recommend all adults shoot for at least 550 milligrams per day (mg/d), which is the equivalent of four egg yolks.

People with low MTHFR activity should consume 900-1200 mg/d, which is the amount in seven to nine egg yolks.
See https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/tools/20 ... calculator for advice regarding how much choline you should consume based on your genetics.
Plum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Plum »

BrianR wrote:
Plum wrote:Can someone please explain a few things to me that I am struggling to get my head around...

Chris Masterjohn has some useful information on this page: The Choline Database (Scroll down to the section "What Are the Best Choline Supplements?')

As to the quantity to take, he states:
I recommend all adults shoot for at least 550 milligrams per day (mg/d), which is the equivalent of four egg yolks.

People with low MTHFR activity should consume 900-1200 mg/d, which is the amount in seven to nine egg yolks.
See https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/tools/20 ... calculator for advice regarding how much choline you should consume based on your genetics.
Thank you very much for the info.
Plum e3/e4
Plum
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Plum »

Another question after reading the above links....

According to the Chris Masterjohn calculator I need 8 egg yolks. I then see that there is mention of how to calculate this for children because they eat less than adults. As an adult who only eats 1400 calories, do I reduce my choline requirements to 6 egg yolks or not?
Plum e3/e4