Supplements that may cause internal bleeding?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Supplements that may cause internal bleeding?

Post by Metta4 »

Hi all,

This is a stab in the dark, but you all are more familiar with the supplements I'm taking for the Bredesen protocol than any of the doctors I am dealing with at the moment. Aside from estrogen, progesterone, and turmeric, is there anything else recommended on the protocol that could be related to a recent episode of retinal bleeding/ocular migraine? My cholesterol is high - 295, but my H1C is 4.8 and my blood pressure is on the low side, and my CRP and ESR tests are normal, so I doubt it's something systemic

I stopped taking 2 ml of testosterone about 2 months ago, but was still taking 5 mg. each of dhea and pregnenolone (have since stopped). I have also stopped the 100 mg. of progesterone 4/d week, to let it wash out, but have lowered my estradiol dose to .0375 2/wk until this is figured out. (Also on a low dose of thyroid.) I am one of those "progesterone is a poison" people.

(I had cataract surgery 2 years ago and had 6 months of retinal bleeding following that, so this could be related.)

I am just hoping there is something else obvious I can take a look at. Thanks in advance.
birdie18
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Supplements that may cause internal bleeding?

Post by birdie18 »

Metta4 wrote: Aside from estrogen, progesterone, and turmeric, is there anything else recommended on the protocol that could be related to a recent episode of retinal bleeding/
Metta4, a web search on each of your supplements will give you a list of the potential 'blood thinners' in your repertoire. For example, ginger and garlic, though normally very safe can slow clotting in some people. High doses from a combination of natural blood thinners could contribute to bleeding. There are other possible factors but a review of your herb and vitamin list is a worthwhile investigation.
birdie18
APOE4.info Intern2020
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Naturopathic Physician
tweet: vis medicatrix naturae
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

Thanks, for responding, birdie. I forgot to mention ginger, and thank you for your advice. There's a lot of noise in the search results though since most results are of the "don't take this with coumadin" variety.

My promethease report turned up an association of migraines with a gene that affects the calcium voltage channels of a cell. That's intriguing since that's also the leading theory of the cause of electrical sensitivity, which I also have, that weak force and microwave radiation affect the calcium voltage channels (the related symptom of course being headaches.)

Also an association with the progestin receptor (hmm).
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

Hi Metta4:
Are you taking high dose fish oil?
Metta4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Metta4 »

I am taking the ProOmega from Nordic -- so that's 1125 EPA + 875 DHA plus 1/2 the dose of Nordic's Omega-3 Phospholipids, which adds 250 mg. of Omega 3s. Every now and then I take a large dose (1000 mg.) of krill oil instead of the second Pro Omega.

So I guess that's a high dose, the question is, is that too high? Seems like the literature indicates higher doses than this.
roxanne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roxanne »

I guess it all depends on the other supplements that you are taking and that adds up to a high dose. You take Curcumin and Ginger, Garlic, Progesterone. Last year I scratched an itch under the lower eyelid and felt a rush of liquid that turned out to be blood, I attributed it to the high dose of supplements, but the doctor didn't agree. He thought it might have been a bug bite. I backed off a little with the fish oil, though. I'm taking the same fish oil as you do, with the exception of your second dose and no krill.

Supplements are wonderful, but sometimes I wonder if we are not overdoing them. Tricky.
frankiesfriend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankiesfriend »

This is a stab in the dark, but you all are more familiar with the supplements
Hi Metta4,
I concur with roxanne that high fish oil, combined with other "blood thinning" foods and supplements, and especially medications, may be a cause of bleeding. I was reading precautions regarding high fish oil doses in Consumerlab's review of fish oils. They cited a case study of a man who had experienced bleeding in his eye (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 3X20952974).

My own experience is that I periodically get small capillary breaks with bleeding into the skin of my forearms primarily, and once in a while in my fingers. I take high doses of fish oil, but also ginger and curcumin, and I eat walnuts and other Omega3 sources daily. I rarely take medications, but once in a while will take an Advil, and will see one or several small areas of bleeding the next day. I'm not sure it is the fish oil, per se, but perhaps the combination of omega3's and other supplements, foods, and medication.

I don't know if this is helpful, but I think that you might be on the right track. I am curious what your eye doctor said about the bleeding following your surgery.
E3/E4, My mother was diagnosed with AD at age 73, my age on my next birthday.