Help for my sister

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Help for my sister

Post by Silverlining »

Julie...what product are you using to get 1000mg dha a day? It's time for me to reorder. I've been taking Nordic Naturals Algae Omega

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Produ ... rodID=1654

However, I've been thinking of ordering the DHA, or DHAXtra (xtra has 900 mg dha) instead.

https://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Produ ... rodID=1654

Thanks for the info!
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Personally, I don't trust Nordic Naturals. I wrote to them asking how much vitamin E (which we probably shouldn't be supplementing, unless, maybe, it's primarily the gamma form) they add to the product (see ingredients), and I got a weird response saying basically "we put in enough to work as an anti-oxidant". I wrote again and they still couldn't give me a straight answer.

As I've said before, I'm opposed to more than minimal fish oil supplementation, but, for IBD, I take a formulation heavy on EPA:

http://www.iherb.com/Renew-Life-Norwegi ... Gels/15196

And I take a small amount of astaxanthin with it.

If it weren't for the IBD, I'd probably try to get all my omega-3s from plants (which would require tons -- easy enough with chía seeds and walnuts -- since conversion to the longer-chained versions is minimal).

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Silver- I guess I'm living life dangerously ;) using Nordic Naturals, Xtra DHA. Two capsules give me 900mg of DHA. (I rounded up to 1,000mg- my bad.)

G and I have gone round and round regarding the need for DHA supplementation. (Head spinning) While I greatly respect his perspective, I worry about primarily using EPA because of the limited conversion rate to DHA- especially given E4 carriers' documented need for additional DHA. Aphorist just linked a great new paper on the subject: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=828
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

The question to ask is. Is there a bias by vegans or vegetarians that may be detrimental to their health that can't be negated without a meat source, as man is an omnivore. I don't want to struggle with all the complications of being a vegan or vegetarian. I wish them well in their endeavors to try and live without meat and be healthy. I wonder if they ever found any vegan or vegetable only societies in ancient man.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Thanks G, J, and WA!

"Dissenting opinions present opportunities for research resulting in radical reformation".....quote by Silverlining

(haha, feeling comedic today)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Welcomeaboard wrote:The question to ask is. Is there a bias by vegans or vegetarians that may be detrimental to their health that can't be negated without a meat source, as man is an omnivore. I don't want to struggle with all the complications of being a vegan or vegetarian. I wish them well in their endeavors to try and live without meat and be healthy. I wonder if they ever found any vegan or vegetable only societies in ancient man.
There's another slant here. I wish I were unselfish enough to be vegan and thus have less of an impact on our environment. I do believe its the ethical thing to do environmentally....but I'm selfish and want optimal health for myself.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Stavia,

I'm with you on wanting to have less of an impact on the environment. But the main reason I'm almost entirely vegan is precisely concern for my own health. I look at the long-term epidemiological data (unfortunately, this is the best data we have -- short-term studies don't help much, since high-meat and esp. high-fat diets seem to have certain positive effects only during the first 6-12 months) -- like the Seventh Day Adventist studies -- and conclude that eating a small bit of meat a few times a month is the most meat I'd want to aim for. None would probably be better.

And then there's the recent work on TMAO. A new study just came out, confirming last year's results:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/heart-failu ... ood-308056

OK, back to work. Took a break as I packed my phone in a bag of rice to dry it out after dropping it in the soapy water-filled sink as I listened to foreign language podcasts to help stave of dementia.... Doh!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

aha G very interesting! Ty for sharing.

and the rice works. Don't open it for at least 24 hours though....
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I have total respect for vegans, BUT given E4 carriers even greater need for healthy levels of DHA, choline, B vitamins, Vitamin D, and proper balance of zinc/copper...a vegan diet gives me pause. I'm guessing there IS a role for animal protein in our optimal diet.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Julie,

I concur with you.
Tincup
E3,E4