Biosense ACEs vs pinprick BHB's

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
johnseed
Contributor
Contributor

Biosense ACEs vs pinprick BHB's

Post by johnseed »

I'm trying to monitor my diet and, after watching Dr Bredesen's October Town Hall, purchased a Biosense breath meter. I have been checking my BHB levels for some months using pinpricks and ketone test strips and pretty familiar with the results which consistently reflect a combination of how many hours I've fasted and how ketogenic my diet has been.

I'm perplexed at the Biosense results which don't correspond well to either my expectations or to my concurrently tested BHB levels.

For example, at a Christmas eve feast, I uncharacteristically binged on fruit and cake and this morning, as expected, my BHB levels were only 2 mmol/L. However, the Biosense showed 12 ACEs. Half an hour it was 8 ACEs and half hour after that 6 ACEs.

Is anyone else on this forum comparing Biosense ACEs to BHB's? I'd like to be using this device to fine-tune my diet and I'd been hoping to be able to learn the impacts of particular foods on ketosis which I understand may vary from person to person

I'm wondering if my device is faulty or is it that the readings are unreliable?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Biosense ACEs vs pinprick BHB's

Post by Tincup »

johnseed wrote: Is anyone else on this forum comparing Biosense ACEs to BHB's? I'd like to be using this device to fine-tune my diet and I'd been hoping to be able to learn the impacts of particular foods on ketosis which I understand may vary from person to person
There is a thread on the Biosense topic here.

From the last post in the thread:
Julie G wrote:FWIW, they can check your meter remotely to see if it is out of calibration. That may be something that we need to arrange to ensure that you're getting accurate results.
I have no experience with the Biosense, but have used a Ketonix breath meter and have used Precision Xtra and KetoMojo finger stick meters. From learning about the Ketonix and breath acetone, it seems like breath acetone is more of a "real time" measure of ketone production while serum beta hydroxybutyrate is the "storage" form.

From the [url=https://www.ketonix.com/]Ketonix site[/url] wrote:When fat is metabolized into ketone energy (acetoacetate), breath ketones are released (acetone). The more fat that is used to create ketones, the more breath ketones are released.

When your cells need ketone energy, all acetoacetate is used (except for what was turned into acetone). Neither urine or blood ketones are formed in this context.

When your cell energy need decrease, the excess acetoacetate have two fates: 1) when cells are not adapted, it leaves body in the urine. 2) when cells are adapted, some acetoacetate could be saved for later, when ketone energy is needed again.

In other words, when there is any breakdown of fat into ketone energy, breath ketones are released. When the need for ketone energy decrease, the excess ketone molecules will be disposed in urine or packaged into a more stable molecule (beta-hydroxybutyrate) which can circulate in blood until ketone energy is needed again. Urine and Blood Ketones are present when ketosis decrease.

For healthy people, measuring blood ketones does not mean much, it could be nothing and you still be ini ketosis but your cells need all ketone energy it can get. It could be high from accumulating over a period or just zero because your have not been in Ketosis in a while.

Blood Ketones are only a valid measure for people with type 1 diabetes or type 2 taking SGLT2 inhibitors (also called gliflozins) medicatio, as the Blood ketones can not be converted back to acetoacetate when blood glucose is high.
Tincup
E3,E4