Testing for APOE4 that's not 23andMe

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Mindbender
Contributor
Contributor

Testing for APOE4 that's not 23andMe

Post by Mindbender »

Has anyone done private genetic testing that's not through 23andMe? Worried about privacy issues with them and really this is the only variant I'm curious about for a family member.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Testing for APOE4 that's not 23andMe

Post by TheresaB »

Many labs offer this testing.

You can ask your doctor to order the test, but you many want to read about the pros and cons from here: Thinking About Testing?

You can also do a direct to consumer lab. I know Labcorp offers the test. https://www.labcorp.com/tests/504040/i- ... mer-s-risk others likely do too. You can read more about Direct to Consumer lab test options here: Direct to Consumer Lab Testing Options
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Mindbender
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mindbender »

Thank you Theresa!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Mindbender wrote:Has anyone done private genetic testing that's not through 23andMe? Worried about privacy issues with them and really this is the only variant I'm curious about for a family member.
I've done Labcorp (initially), 23andMe (when rest of family tested) and TrueHealth (In 2015, ordered by Gundry, I think now defunct). You could sign up for 23andMe with a pseudonym. My cousin did that with his mom. Also don't have them run the health and just do the cheap test for your ancestry, then download the raw data and analyze those snp's yourself (I did this in 2014, as FDA enjoined them from telling you if you were in the US).
Tincup
E3,E4
Mindbender
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mindbender »

Did you get both APOE snps from 23andMe? I did my 23andMe (with a fake name!) awhile ago but I only got one of the two SNPs related to the APOE status. But even if 23andMe offers the full APOE status these days, I feel more comfortable going with another company and just getting the APOE stuff. It's not for me, cousins are involved and 23andMe data thing is too controversial, even with a fake name.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Mindbender wrote:Did you get both APOE snps from 23andMe?
Yes, rs429358 &rs7412. I downloaded the raw data and they were there. Results from all 3 labs were identical.
Tincup
E3,E4
Mindbender
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mindbender »

Maybe my test was done earlier or something. Both mine and my son's rs7412 did not get a reading. A bit annoying given it's one of the primary ones I would want!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Mindbender wrote:Maybe my test was done earlier or something. Both mine and my son's rs7412 did not get a reading. A bit annoying given it's one of the primary ones I would want!
July 2014, also got good data for wife and children at that time.
Tincup
E3,E4
beebo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beebo »

I also used 23andMe with a pseudonym. I went a little overboard and rented a mailbox at a local UPS store, too. I had them ship the kit there. Used a new email address and VPN when I connected to their site. I paid with a prepaid Visa card (the non-reloadable kind).

These kits are given as gifts all the time, so 23andMe does not assume the buyer is the same person who sends in the DNA sample, but I'm being cautious.