Marothoners have MORE coronary plaque

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Marothoners have MORE coronary plaque

Post by Julie G »

Heart Risk? Marathoners Have Increased Artery Plaque
http://www.runnersworld.com/health/hear ... ery-plaque

Does the new study adds weight to the “excessive endurance exercise hypothesis,” which posits that too much exercise, like marathon training and racing, has negative effects on the heart?
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Marothoners have MORE coronary plaque

Post by Doctor Lost »

Bad Link Julie
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Sorry, Doc- try again. I fixed it.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

I knew about the Jim Fixx problem, but the increased atherosclerosis is somewhat surprising.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

A friend sent me this last spring:

Boston Marathon Run Up- Marathons: In the Long Run Not Heart Healthy

Subject: The Heart Breaking Research on Marathons March April 2014 Missouri Medicine: The Journal of the Missouri State Medical Association

The significance of this peer-review article is that is shows not only hard fibrotic coronary plaques but also fatty thrombus prone atheroma are more common in marathon runners than match sedentary individuals. The editorial by cardiologists Carl Lavie, MD and Peter McCullough are the most up to date regarding the dangers of marathon type running going into ?Marathon Month?

This series will feature in the final MarApr 2014 Missouri Medicine later this month.
For immediate press; previous embargo lifted.

The PDF file can be found at http://www.msma.org/docs/communications ... dicine.pdf
Missouri Medicine is peer-reviewed, indexed, and content is linked with PUBMED CENTRAL and included in MEDLINE, EBSCOhost data bases.
Missouri Medicine is owned by the Missouri State Medical Association (MSMA) has been in publication since 1904 and has won numerous awards as best in state publication (Ranley Awards).
Missouri Medicine provides exclusive content to MedHelp.org a top world internet health forum with over 12 million
unique visitors per month and the MedHelp.org e-newsletter which has a quarter million subscribers. This past year
Missouri Medicine articles have been feature internationally:
Wall Street Journal, Outside Magazine, Runner?s World, NBC news, General Surgery News, Anesthesia News, etc.
Besides having a national presence, Missouri Medicine is the largest circulation healthcare publication in Missouri and catchment area includes seven medical schools.
Tincup
E3,E4
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Extremely interesting! Thank God I've never been a marathoner...I can barely do moderately-long bouts of exercise. Pretty much a sprinter by nature; that's why my former coach divided up my cardio: 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the elliptical, and 10 minutes on the recumbent. Never mind that I get bored after FIVE minutes on each. lol

I'll have to read the biomechanics of this phenomenon...and wondering to what it's attributed? Too many stress hormones/cortisol activated with extreme endurance activity?

Moderation truly is the key.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Interesting that there were only 50 or so men studied and 52% former or current??? smokers. Now that boggles the mind. Running and training for a marathon and a smoker, who would confess to that? I do have a question though, why would they exclude anyone with a creatine level over 2.0? What does that do to skew the study?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

"why would they exclude anyone with a creatine level over 2.0?"

Creatinine level <2.0 should exclude anyone with kidney issues. I'm not sure that is a criterion I would question.

I've seen other references to the U shaped benefit curve to exercise, going back 25+ years. I also recall seeing data where some of the inflammatory blood chemistry markers were elevated similarly in people who'd just completed a marathon and those who'd just had a heart attack...

Its been years since I read those studies, so don't have actual references.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, Gina- I noted that crazy conundrum. Most of my marathon friends aren't smokers :shock: But, I'm guessing (in this study) they were primarily FORMER smokers. Who know how that played into the results here?

George and all, when you come across that research against endurance cardio, feel free to add it here.

FWIW, my son is a carb-fueled endurance athlete. He's put about 3,500 miles on his bicycle this year and he's got HIGH homocysteine :?