Deep Sleep 4/4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
rogerskd
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Deep Sleep 4/4

Post by rogerskd »

I would second getting morning light. I find an early morning run outside plus some early time in the garden helps a lot. Now if it would only cool down ... being cold also helps.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

rogerskd wrote:I would second getting morning light. I find an early morning run outside plus some early time in the garden helps a lot. Now if it would only cool down ... being cold also helps.
Hi Roger, Yes being cool enough to sleep is always an issue for me too. Right now, temperatures are still dropping enough at night that I can sleep. I am considering the Ooler bed cooling mattress pad ( https://www.chilisleep.com/products/ooler-sleep-system). It has been discussed in Forums on this website and has gotten positive reviews. Every year I contemplate buying it. This might be the year!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Maxwell_Foster
New User
New User

Post by Maxwell_Foster »

Hi Gino,

We are all different and what works for me may not work for you.

In addition to your Deep Sleep, what is your over night HRV Metric?
HRV will help you to understand if your cross fit is having a big impact on your ability to recover,

This podcast covers it:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcas ... riability/

Things that have helped me as follows: Agree with those who say cold, it's a fine balance and you don't want too cold but the colder I am generally the better I sleep, going to sleep on a shakti mat (it helps to lower cortisol), agree with those who say eat early, for me I sleep better if I finish all eating by 3pm (understand this isn't the most social of practices) I wear a TMJ device to stop grinding and reduce snoring, I tape my mouth.

I use the X3 bar, this helps a lot especially if i do it first thing in the morning and with "B strong" bands.
https://bstrong.training/blogs/articles ... ning-bands

I go to sleep listening to a positive affirmation track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiPDV9L5qpQ

Goodluck and I hope you find something that works for you.
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Maxwell_Foster wrote:
We are all different and what works for me may not work for you.

In addition to your Deep Sleep, what is your over night HRV Metric?
HRV will help you to understand if your cross fit is having a big impact on your ability to recover,

This podcast covers it:
https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcas ... riability/
Great insights Maxwell_Foster and thank you for sharing those resources! It sounds like you have spent a great deal of time exploring your sleep. Such valuable information and something I'm currently exploring more. I still need to try mouth taping.

In case Gino hasn't subscribed to the post, we recommend people use the Quotations Function on the forum. Quoting facilitates conversation between members. It triggers an email to the forum member that you are quoting and gives that person a link to log on and open the ApoE4.info website right to your comment.

If you do feel like sharing more insights on how you use HRV, I know the forum members would love to hear it. You can start a new topic thread or search the site for more information and reply to threads that way.

We hope you'll enjoy sharing around the forum. We all have experiences that will be useful to someone else. Welcome! :D

-Melissa
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

jginorio wrote:Hello all:
Does anyone have any recommendations? Gino
Hi Gino, I don’t know if you have been following this thread on Deep Sleep but thought I’d quote you so that you’d get a notification. There have been a lot of sleep recommendations added. One a few posts above this one was directed to you, specifically.
Hope you are sleeping well! Floramaria
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

I highly recommend watching/listening to Dr. Andrew Huberman's podcast (Huberman Lab) or his YouTube channel. He has a lab at Stanford and his goal is to get actionable, no cost info out to people interested in neuroscience. He has done a recent podcast on sleep and doesn't recommend melatonin and as Vikingman mentioned above, instead expose your eyes to morning light outside within a few minutes after waking up. The exposure should last at least 10 minutes. Special sensors cells in the eyes point upwards and once the lux level light hits a certain range, your circadian rhythm is set for the day and natural melatonin will be released approximately 14 hours later. He is not a big fan of blue blocking glasses unless you insist on using phone/computer immediately before sleeping. Huberman Lab Podcast is my current all-time favorite.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

JulieAnnie wrote:I highly recommend He has done a recent podcast on sleep and doesn't recommend melatonin and as Vikingman mentioned above, instead expose your eyes to morning light outside within a few minutes after waking up. The exposure should last at least 10 minutes.
What does he recommend in winter, when it may be hours between awakening and first light?