Deep Sleep 4/4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Deep Sleep 4/4

Post by Family Tree Guy »

jginorio wrote:Hello all:
A couple of months ago I purchased an Oura ring to track my sleep. I've been surprised, negatively, as to the amount of deep sleep that I get nightly. It fluctuates around 30 min. I take 5mg melatonin, I have blue light blocking glasses, I've taken some magnesium but I haven't been able to get more than that.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thxs,

Gino
Gino- my suggestion is that you give a specific type of meditation a try. Binaural beats are a type of music that you listen to with headphones. A slightly different frequency is played into each ear, and your brainwaves experience phenomena called 'entrainment' where they sync to this frequency difference. So if right ear 'hears' 405 Hz and the left ear 'hears' 400 Hz, then your brain syncs to 5 Hz. Deep sleep is associated with what are called delta waves, quite slow. Find some delta wave binaural beats, and listen to them for 20 minutes in the evening before bed. I have found this to have profound influence on my own sleep. And there is some pretty solid science that you can effectively 'train' your brain to get better at going to this type of delta wave deep sleep by regularly using this technique. Some nights I am busy and don't get around to listening to my delta waves before bed and I almost always notice a difference in my rest the next morning.
Linduska
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Linduska »

Vikingman wrote:If I stop eating early and have a small window for TRE then I get much more deep sleep. No late TV, food or alcohol helps . Exercise earlier in the day helps my deep sleep as well as staying very hydrated during the day.
Apologies, I am new here, what is TRE?

I too started tracking my sleep and found out with alarm that my deep sleep is often as little as 30 mins (been averaging about 54mins recently, which is an improvement). I’ve been experimenting with different things but can’t quite put my finger on what helps, it seems to be so random. I eat early, never exercise in the evening, too.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Time Restricted Eating. The liver secretes enzymes every 12 hours starting with the first calorie your consume. At the end of the 12 hour time frame it stops secreting the enzyme. If you eat outside the 12 hour window then your body will have to work much harder and it leads to metabolic issues and weight gain.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Vikingman wrote:The liver secretes enzymes every 12 hours starting with the first calorie your consume. At the end of the 12 hour time frame it stops secreting the enzyme.
Do you happen to have a reference for that? I'm in the middle of looking at research on TRE early in the day versus later in the day and want to see how that fits with some research I've already been reading about the circadian rhythm in the liver. Thanks.
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

You can look up TRE or Time Restricted Eating. The liver enzyme study was in a book I read a couple years ago by Dr. Sacha Panda called "The Circadian Code".
Vikingman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vikingman »

Also Dr. Rhonda Patrick probably wrote about it too.
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

I follow Dr. Andrew Huberman (@hubermanlab) advice on NO melatonin and ditch the blue light fear in addition to what Tiramisu1984 added above. I wear the Oura too and my sleep score is optimized 90% of the time.
JulieAnnie
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by JulieAnnie »

I follow Dr. Andrew Huberman (@hubermanlab) advice on NO melatonin and ditching :P the blue light fear in addition to what Tiramisu1984 added above. I wear the Oura too and my sleep score is optimized 90% of the time.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm1TxQj9IsQ

Melatonin reference is at 18m 30s in....
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

I've had success with sleeping in a dark room, winding down with a book, and not eating after dinner. I also saw improvements in my sleep that I attribute to supplements. For a long time, my Oura ring said I didn't get enough REM sleep. Last summer I added the lowest doses of pregnenolone and DHEA I could find in the morning. For nighttime, I use L-Theanine, 5-HTP, and Magnesium L-Threonate, but recently quit taking melatonin, with no impact on my sleep. A while back, I added Nordic Naturals Omega-3 phospholipids and CDP Choline at night and this combination seems to really have improved my REM sleep. Everyone is different, and there's a lot of information available through books like Matthew Walker's, podcasts, etc. I have family members with serious sleep issues so I know getting everything right for good sleep stats can be very difficult. Good luck getting it figured out.