4/4 diet confusion

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
HopefullyNotDoomed
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 4/4 diet confusion

Post by HopefullyNotDoomed »

slinkystrudels wrote:Hopefullynotdoomed , this is is very helpful and something I didn’t know re the breakdown of the DHA. I suppose I can ‘force’ myself to eat the oily fish , perhaps with a nice dressing to hide the fishiness lol .
I was just hoping not to have to if I could take supplements instead . I will however search for a high quality krill oil straight away as I have heard it mentioned before on here .
Thanks !
One more thing; Sardines and Mackerel are good not just because of the Omega-3 but also because they are small, which means they contain less mercury, which is always a good thing. Tuna has a lot less Omega-3 and has tons of mercury so another reason to avoid it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

slinkystrudels wrote:Hopefullynotdoomed , this is is very helpful and something I didn’t know re the breakdown of the DHA. I suppose I can ‘force’ myself to eat the oily fish , perhaps with a nice dressing to hide the fishiness lol .
I was just hoping not to have to if I could take supplements instead . I will however search for a high quality krill oil straight away as I have heard it mentioned before on here .
Thanks !
You may want to listen to the recent podcast mentioned in this thread. In the comments at that topic page krill oil is mentioned.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Regarding dairy, I eat lots of full fat yogurt, cheese, and butter and feel well. I am not alone here.

I think true consensus regarding diet among our members is narrow, but I don't recall seeing disagreement with these two:

- Avoid highly processed foods containing industrial seed oils and other recently invented ingredients.
- If you're insulin resistant, reduce/eliminate sugar and starchy food.

And perhaps also this:

- If you eat animal products, pay attention to what the animals ate. Grass fed beef and dairy, pastured chicken and eggs, and wild caught fish are better for us than the less expensive alternatives.

We have vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarians, pescatarians, Mediterranean dieters, Gundry dieters, Bredesen dieters, keto dieters, full-on carnivores, and many a la carte eaters who pick and choose elements of multiple plans. As a species we are highly adaptable eaters, and there are many viable eating patterns.
khooks03
Contributor
Contributor

Post by khooks03 »

Big confusion!!! Everyone keeps talking about meat being ok as long as it's grass-fed, pasture-raised, etc. However, isn't our basic problem an inability to dispose of cholesterol? If so, how can we eat any meat---or egg yolks? Is there no cholesterol in grass-fed, pasture-raised? I definitely get an inflammatory response when eating meats but so far none for eggs. Can I eat egg yolks? If so, why is it ok? I'm one of those people who has to get the facts behind the statements before feeling free to move ahead. Thanks so much for being patient with me. I've been on this journey for four years now, am super skinny because of dietary changes and frankly, starving 24/7! My husband is at stage 4 Parkinson's so there's not much time to read. Please help. Thanks so much!
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

khooks03, the majority of the cholesterol carried in the human bloodstream (in particles such as LDL and HDL) doesn't come directly from the absorption of cholesterol in food, but is synthesized in that person's liver. And the synthesis of cholesterol is controlled by insulin. So if your goal is to reduce cholesterol levels (in particularly LDL, which carries cholesterol from the liver to the various tissues) you should work on keeping your insulin under control - avoiding too-high and too frequent rises in insulin.