BHRT talk with Bredesen, Hathaway and Julie G

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: BHRT talk with Bredesen, Hathaway and Julie G

Post by NF52 »

Quantifier wrote:Well, my consultation with the gynecologist was disappointing. She's opposed to bHRT as primary prevention (whether it's cognition issues or bone loss), and even more so for breast cancer survivors.

I guess my options are: 1) sign up with PreCODE (which would also get me the lab work, maybe imaging?)
2) find a Functional Medicine practitioner, hopefully one that is covered by my insurance
3) try to get around the hormone issue with fermented soy products

Any other ideas?
Hi Quantifier! You may want to check out the paper listed in TheresaB's's post below. I started it somewhat skeptically (sort of a default position!) and ended up printing it out, re-reading it and being impressed by the "here's what might be helpful; here's what seems really important" style. The lead author is young, but one of the co-authors is Dr. Richard Isaacson, who is head of. the NYU Cornell Weill Medical Center's Alzheimer's Prevention Clinic. A colleague of Dr. Isaacson is Dr. Lisa Mosconi, Director of the Women's Brain Project at the same center, and her book The XX Brain may also be helpful to you.
TheresaB wrote:This paper was just released.

Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

Also, here's a short (less than 5 minutes) video abstract given by the author: Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer's Prevention in ApoE4 carriers - Video Abstract

According to LinkedIn, the primary author, Nicholas Norwitz holds a PhD from Oxford and is an MD candidate at Harvard.

Per the paper, precision nutrition is “an emerging approach for disease treatment and prevention that takes into account individual variability in genes, environment, and lifestyle for each person” [16]."

Much of the advice in the paper is what we've heard before, but this paper cites current research. It is reassuring to know this validates the path many of us have taken. He recommends a Low Carb diet with keto option, Mediterranean food choices, and certain supplements. For the "cliff notes" scroll down (it's page 14 of my downloaded PDF version) to Table 1 for the diet and keep scrolling to Table 2 for the supplements.

Regarding supplements, for me, this is the first time I've heard lithium recommended for ApoE4s. I've heard it recommended in general before, but not in the context of being specifically recommended for our genotype. I'd like to hear thoughts from others on their experience regarding lithium.
4/4 and still an optimist!