Toenail fungus - any implications for AD?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Toenail fungus - any implications for AD?

Post by DebbieG »

Hi,

I've read that brain autopsies of elderly adults with Alzheimer's contained some types of fungi (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5976758/). I'm wondering if toenail fungus (onychomycosis) can make it to the brain. I didn't find any indication it can in an internet search, so maybe it's always confined to nailbeds.

Does anyone know if toenail fungus can have an impact on Alzheimer's progression?

And if anyone has good treatment ideas for an elderly person who is apoe3/4 and has a severe case of onychomycosis, I would love to learn more.

Best regards,
Debbie
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Toenail fungus - any implications for AD?

Post by circular »

DebbieG wrote:Hi,

I've read that brain autopsies of elderly adults with Alzheimer's contained some types of fungi (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5976758/). I'm wondering if toenail fungus (onychomycosis) can make it to the brain. I didn't find any indication it can in an internet search, so maybe it's always confined to nailbeds.

Does anyone know if toenail fungus can have an impact on Alzheimer's progression?

And if anyone has good treatment ideas for an elderly person who is apoe3/4 and has a severe case of onychomycosis, I would love to learn more.

Best regards,
Debbie
My understanding is that they only call it toenail fungus when it's confined to the toes, but that the same fungus can spread to other areas of skin, at which time it takes on some other name. I learned this because I've had a fungal rash on my upper body lately, and the cream the doctor gave me for it is also for toenail fungus, which I don't have, so maybe it's something else but the same medicine works. I am also generally more flushed and have the sense the infection may be more systemic because of that, but I don't know if that's logical. I'm seeing an immunologist in the near future and plan to ask about it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

I developed a toenail fungus two years ago that wouldn't go away with any of the over-the-counter treatments I tried. I knew the doctor could prescribe an anti-fungal prescription but had always read it was quite a powerful drug and I was hoping to find something less impactful on my whole body. I started reading about people who swear by using Vick's Vaporub and tried that initially. Then I looked more into it and found a study pointing to the camphor and eucalyptus oil that's the effective ingredients for toenail fungus. This led me to try out an essential oil formula made specifically for toenail fungus. I would put a drop on my toenail every night before bed and did this for about 6 months. It worked wonderfully and I no longer use it and am toenail-fungus-free. The oil blend I used is called Nail Fungus Magic, from a company called Original Swiss Aromatics.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

circular wrote: Hi,
My understanding is that they only call it toenail fungus when it's confined to the toes, but that the same fungus can spread to other areas of skin, at which time it takes on some other name. I learned this because I've had a fungal rash on my upper body lately, and the cream the doctor gave me for it is also for toenail fungus, which I don't have, so maybe it's something else but the same medicine works. I am also generally more flushed and have the sense the infection may be more systemic because of that, but I don't know if that's logical. I'm seeing an immunologist in the near future and plan to ask about it.
Thanks, circular. I hope your immunologist visit is helpful.
DebbieG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DebbieG »

babl wrote:I developed a toenail fungus two years ago that wouldn't go away with any of the over-the-counter treatments I tried. I knew the doctor could prescribe an anti-fungal prescription but had always read it was quite a powerful drug and I was hoping to find something less impactful on my whole body. I started reading about people who swear by using Vick's Vaporub and tried that initially. Then I looked more into it and found a study pointing to the camphor and eucalyptus oil that's the effective ingredients for toenail fungus. This led me to try out an essential oil formula made specifically for toenail fungus. I would put a drop on my toenail every night before bed and did this for about 6 months. It worked wonderfully and I no longer use it and am toenail-fungus-free. The oil blend I used is called Nail Fungus Magic, from a company called Original Swiss Aromatics.
Thanks, babl! I'll get some for them and me. Several years ago I had toenail fungus that I couldn't get rid of, and I did do the prescription route. It worked well for me, but my dermatologist advised me to use terbinafine cream daily. This sounds better.
babl
Contributor
Contributor

Post by babl »

Hi DebbieG! I hope it works as well for you as it did for me! I'll bet it also smells better than the terbinafine cream, too! :D
Mags
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mags »

Hello Debbie G,
My Dad (90) has very advanced vascular dementia; he deteriorated overnight, after becoming delirious in a routine hospital visit, where he was given antibiotics, and furosemide. At the same time, he developed horrendous toenail fungus on his big toe. This isn't very scientific, but my hunch is, that the already present, fungus, was able to spread rapidly in the brain, after the drugs, and set off the down-regulating process of dementia..
Anyway, his toenail fungus disappeared completely (as did the delirium) after we cut out all carbs from his diet (apart from very occasional blueberries) We were also then able to get him off all medications, that he was on (including beta-blockers for high blood pressure) He now only has vitamin D prescribed. He must have at least one copy of Apoe4, cause I have 2 :-) I would say cut down on carbs, as much as possible..but it's only n=1, of course :-) My dad only eats fish, (mainly salmon and mackerel) mussels, eggs and venison, and he's as strong as an ox :-D
4/4 grateful to this community
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

It's common for toenail fungus (tinea unguium) to reoccur if re-infected from foot fungus (aka Athlete's foot, tinea pedis). It might make sense to treat the foot if you see signs of fungus there as well.
Slacker
E4/E4