Hemp Protein Powder

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
mala
Contributor
Contributor

Hemp Protein Powder

Post by mala »

I was surprised to read in "T End of Alz. Program" that "We do not recommend any protein supplements (powders), either animal or plant-based, with the exceptions of spirulina and nutritional yeast". I'm wondering why?

As a vegan, I add a 9cc scoop of Nutiva organic hemp protein to each of three daily meals. (extra protein was recommended to me on the forum). Hemp otherwise gets good press in the book, including hemp hearts, the inside of hemp seed. Something about the processing? The Nutiva packaging says: "our hemp seed protein is made from raw hemp seed and cold-pressed, milled and filtered.. No hexane, preservatives or additives are used at any point in this process..". They have a hi-fibre and a regular version, I randomly alternate between them.

thanks
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hemp Protein Powder

Post by SusanJ »

Sala wrote:"We do not recommend any protein supplements (powders), either animal or plant-based, with the exceptions of spirulina and nutritional yeast". As a vegan, I add a 9cc scoop of Nutiva organic hemp protein...
JulieG wrote:
Hi Mala, good question. I'm pinging Julie G, who helped with the book. Hopefully she has some insights for you.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

While I do not know what Dr Bredesen's reasoning was for not recommending protein supplements, my understanding is that longevity research points to low-but-sufficient protein intake to be better for longevity and slowing down the aging process (see for example David Sinclair's book Lifespan).
mala
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mala »

Quantifier wrote: my understanding is that longevity research points to low-but-sufficient protein intake to be better for longevity and slowing down the aging process (see for example David Sinclair's book Lifespan).
Thanks Quantifier, understand, eg excess turns on MTOR pathway. Me vegan, skinny, becoming "elderly", have osteopenia, calculated my protein intake from Cronometer & in grams per bodyweight it was lowish (I'm trying to avoid hunting for my figures). & Ive seen a bit of extra recommended as we age. (the forum also suggested this to me). Hence a touch of additional.

Can anyone elucidate regarding the quote from the wonderfull book?
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

This is of interest to me also. I add pea protein powder to smoothies. I am also vegan, thin and in my seventies.
Maureen
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

I know Whey protein powder is highly insulinogenic, which as 4s trying to maintain insulin sensitivity is counter productive.

Many other protein powders, such as pea protein come from sources containing lectins which can be another problematic issue raising inflammation.

There is an association of lower protein leading to greater longevity, but that's mostly with animal sources of protein, methionine activating the mTOR pathway, not plant sources of protein. There's also a raising homocysteine connection with animal protein.

When it comes to Hemp powder specifically, I think the main issue is that it is a processed food, not a natural source of protein and natural sources are just always better. Have you tried organic hemp hearts? When I was recovering from a procedure and upping my protein, I would add a sprinkling to my daily evening salad.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
organicsummer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by organicsummer »

TheresaB wrote:I know Whey protein powder is highly insulinogenic, which as 4s trying to maintain insulin sensitivity is counter productive.

Many other protein powders, such as pea protein come from sources containing lectins which can be another problematic issue raising inflammation.

There is an association of lower protein leading to greater longevity, but that's mostly with animal sources of protein, methionine activating the mTOR pathway, not plant sources of protein. There's also a raising homocysteine connection with animal protein.

When it comes to Hemp powder specifically, I think the main issue is that it is a processed food, not a natural source of protein and natural sources are just always better. Have you tried organic hemp hearts? When I was recovering from a procedure and upping my protein, I would add a sprinkling to my daily evening salad.
Tagging artbellio since you were interested in the whey protein discussion.
Brain Performance Coach, Arizona
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach