A question about fasting and Omega 3

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Catherine Bridle
Contributor
Contributor

A question about fasting and Omega 3

Post by Catherine Bridle »

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have a question regarding fasting and Omega 3 intake. I am aware that as an E4/4 i need to take in a large amount of Omega 3's. I also know that intermittent fasting is recommended as a prevention tool. I currently fast 18/6 during the week (have a bit of a break at the weekend). I also do a 42 hour fast once a week. During this 42 hour fast, I take no supplements including Omega 3 fish oil. I am wondering whether this break of 42 hours with no fish oil may have a negative effect? I guess it depends on whether the body stores Omega 3's in which case i doubt there is no negative effect, or whether the body requires a regular supply. Does anyone know the answer to this?

My other thought is whether i could take the fish oil during the fast and whether this would have a negative effect on the fast itself. I have heard that a low amount of fat during a fast might not be a problem? Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks :-)
Catherine
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: A question about fasting and Omega 3

Post by NF52 »

Catherine Bridle wrote:Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have a question regarding fasting and Omega 3 intake. I am aware that as an E4/4 i need to take in a large amount of Omega 3's. I also know that intermittent fasting is recommended as a prevention tool. I currently fast 18/6 during the week (have a bit of a break at the weekend). I also do a 42 hour fast once a week. During this 42 hour fast, I take no supplements including Omega 3 fish oil. I am wondering whether this break of 42 hours with no fish oil may have a negative effect? I guess it depends on whether the body stores Omega 3's in which case i doubt there is no negative effect, or whether the body requires a regular supply. Does anyone know the answer to this?

My other thought is whether i could take the fish oil during the fast and whether this would have a negative effect on the fast itself. I have heard that a low amount of fat during a fast might not be a problem? Can anyone confirm this?

Catherine
Welcome, Catherine!

You have impressive intermittent and long-fasting experience! The question of the body's ability to store Omega 3 fish oil supplements probably really comes down to whether the brain gets the use of those supplements, and whether a temporary lapse, if any, has a long-term effect for ApoE 4/4s. Sounds like a great PhD dissertation! Here's the next best thing: a link to Dr. Hussein Yassine of UCLA (I think) who specializes in studying DHA and the best sources of Omega 3's speaking to Dr. Peter Attia. It's pretty dense in spots, and it's only at the end that he really dives into the ApoE 4 links. I listened about a week ago and came away with the sense that he thinks we 4/4's need real fish (like salmon) once a week (not daily) and that supplements may not cross the blood brain barrier as effectively after about age 60. I'm still taking mine though, along with the salmon.

https://peterattiamd.com/husseinyassine/
And here' the post where one of our forum members shared Dr. Yassine's interview: Dr. Rhonda: Get some DHA in phospholipid form

Welcome to a community of folks eager to share their experiences and questions!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Catherine Bridle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, i listened to the Peter Attia podcast with Hussein Yassine a few weeks ago and came away with the same things as you. I am probably over thinking it and am likely getting more than enough Omega 3 through diet and supplementation. If he only recommends fish once a week (surely too low in my view?) then I guess Omega 3s must be stored in the body.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Catherine Bridle wrote:Thanks so much for your reply. Yes, i listened to the Peter Attia podcast with Hussein Yassine a few weeks ago and came away with the same things as you. I am probably over thinking it and am likely getting more than enough Omega 3 through diet and supplementation. If he only recommends fish once a week (surely too low in my view?) then I guess Omega 3s must be stored in the body.
Hi again!
You may want to check out our Primer, wriitten by a doctor who is also 4/4. There’s a link to it in the second paragraph on our Welcome page, which you can access from the top of any Forum page.
Sounds like you’re well-read and feeling great!
4/4 and still an optimist!
Catherine Bridle
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks! I have read it but i could probably do with re-reading it again :-)
lucytownsend
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lucytownsend »

Catherine Bridle wrote:Hi everyone,

Catherine
Welcome to ApoE4.info we are gratetful you have found us. I see you've found Primer which is an invaluable resource. Thank you so much for posting on this forum and sharing your experience with the community.
There is also the How to guidewebsite which is a useful tool to help new members navigate the website.

Again, thank you for contributing to the discussion.
Lucy Townsend
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
ReCOACH Coach
Certified Patient Advocate