Dental crown replacement with zirconia or ceramic?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Britta
Contributor
Contributor

Dental crown replacement with zirconia or ceramic?

Post by Britta »

What material should we choose for a dental crown replacement on a molar tooth?
Zirconia, porcelain or ceramic?
I heard zirconia is more durable but it's a metal after all (!) and I am worried about the problems that come along with having metal in your mouth over a long period of time (toxicity?).
My Dad needs to get a crown on his molar replaced and the dentist already took the imprint today. I told him I wanted to do some research to see which material would be the best solution for an Alzheimer Apoe4 patient.
If anybody knows about Zirconia vs ceramic, please let me know in the comments. I am grateful for any input, since I have to make the decision soon.
Thank you!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Dental crown replacement with zirconia or ceramic?

Post by Tincup »

Britta wrote:What material should we choose for a dental crown replacement on a molar tooth?
Zirconia, porcelain or ceramic?
I heard zirconia is more durable but it's a metal after all (!) and I am worried about the problems that come along with having metal in your mouth over a long period of time (toxicity?).
My Dad needs to get a crown on his molar replaced and the dentist already took the imprint today. I told him I wanted to do some research to see which material would be the best solution for an Alzheimer Apoe4 patient.
If anybody knows about Zirconia vs ceramic, please let me know in the comments. I am grateful for any input, since I have to make the decision soon.
Thank you!
I've always used porcelain or ceramic for crowns, without known issue. Recently needed an implant for a middle upper front tooth. Most all the implant dentists where I live use titanium. I found a lab in Germany that would test for allergies with a blood sample. Only problem is I live in the US and the lab needed to get the blood in 48 hours. Could not be guaranteed with COVID. I had lengthy email conversations with the lab and they said they just didn't see problems with zirconia. So I selected that. My root canal tooth got pulled in Oct and the implant placed, however my bone wasn't structurally ready for the implant, so removed it in Dec. and am waiting for my bone to fill in. During the time it was in, had no issue with it.
Tincup
E3,E4
Britta
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Britta »

Tincup wrote:
I've always used porcelain or ceramic for crowns, without known issue. Recently needed an implant for a middle upper front tooth. Most all the implant dentists where I live use titanium. I found a lab in Germany that would test for allergies with a blood sample. Only problem is I live in the US and the lab needed to get the blood in 48 hours. Could not be guaranteed with COVID. I had lengthy email conversations with the lab and they said they just didn't see problems with zirconia. So I selected that. My root canal tooth got pulled in Oct and the implant placed, however my bone wasn't structurally ready for the implant, so removed it in Dec. and am waiting for my bone to fill in. During the time it was in, had no issue with it.
Hi Tincup,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like going with a zirconia implant is better than using a titanium implant. I have heard that from different sources. Glad you chose that one.

I wonder if that's the same when it comes to porcelain, ceramic and/or zirconia for a crown.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Britta wrote:
Tincup wrote:
Hi Tincup,
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sounds like going with a zirconia implant is better than using a titanium implant. I have heard that from different sources. Glad you chose that one.

I wonder if that's the same when it comes to porcelain, ceramic and/or zirconia for a crown.
I need an old crown replaced next week. The dentist recommended I use gold again because I'm a "grinder" (which I didn't even know ha!). I think the gold crowns are alloys, so maybe this isn't great from a metals perspective. At the same time, if it lasts the rest of my life that's a big plus. Dentistry is so stratospherically expensive, and I have four other gold crowns, some very old, that may some day need replacing. I should just have all my teeth pulled and get dentures, call it a day, and use the savings on a vacation. I think I'm going to take my chances and opt for the stronger gold crown with less chance of having to redo it again in the future, meanwhile hoping that metal detox strategies help, once I figure out what more I need to do on that front.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:I should just have all my teeth pulled and get dentures, call it a day, and use the savings on a vacation.
Well here we are in the same boat again, circ! I've had two teeth pulled in the last 6 months. Awaiting stunningly expensive implant on one of them. I am afraid to get X-rays at this point, worried that my dentist will find more symptom-free abscesses that require costly action.
If we both opt to get all of our teeth pulled and use the savings for our fabulous vacations, we might have a chance to meet. Paris, maybe?
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

floramaria wrote: If we both opt to get all of our teeth pulled and use the savings for our fabulous vacations, we might have a chance to meet. Paris, maybe?
Yes, please! :lol: 8-)

I've actually been willfully rebelling against the protocol to remove asymptomatic teeth that had root canals, remove all mercury (I would have to remove five gold crowns just to see where the mercury may be hiding), get injections into my jaw, clean out wisdom teeth cavities etc … There's no way in heck I can spend that kind of money unless I'm in pain or there are signs of problems.

The current crown replacement is because the dentist can see the tooth wearing away beneath it.

One of my root canals that had suggestion on the CT scan that it could have aymptomatic infection did eventually start causing pain. So I had that done, but I chose another root canal rather than to have it removed. The first, done 20+ years ago, clearly (on X-ray) had not been done well, but the redo looks extremely good. I realize microscopic things can be happening. I still just think I'm better off having my teeth as long as I can keep them. I could well be wrong, but I'm saving a lot of money on the gamble. If I end up with AD regardless of my efforts I don't want to be on the street with it.

When faced with the exhortibant cost involved with functional medicine, I often skip steps and remind myself that Dr. Bredesen has improved cognition in people who are more impaired than I am even when they weren't able to fulfill all the steps of the protocol. Now, if I were 4, 4 I don't know what I'd do, and I feel a lot of sympathy toward people who may have more vulnerabilities of whatever kind, or who just have the bravery, time and resources to do it all.

So as I see it, you're in an interesting position. You've gotten rid of two potential problem teeth. If your dentist finds more, you can go the whole nine yards or settle on half way as a compromise?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

circular wrote:
floramaria wrote: If we both opt to get all of our teeth pulled and use the savings for our fabulous vacations, we might have a chance to meet. Paris, maybe?
Yes, please! :lol: 8-)

I've actually been willfully rebelling against the protocol to remove asymptomatic teeth that had root canals, remove all mercury (I would have to remove five gold crowns just to see where the mercury may be hiding), get injections into my jaw, clean out wisdom teeth cavities etc … There's no way in heck I can spend that kind of money unless I'm in pain or there are signs of problems.

The current crown replacement is because the dentist can see the tooth wearing away beneath it.

One of my root canals that had suggestion on the CT scan that it could have aymptomatic infection did eventually start causing pain. So I had that done, but I chose another root canal rather than to have it removed. The first, done 20+ years ago, clearly (on X-ray) had not been done well, but the redo looks extremely good. I realize microscopic things can be happening. I still just think I'm better off having my teeth as long as I can keep them. I could well be wrong, but I'm saving a lot of money on the gamble. If I end up with AD regardless of my efforts I don't want to be on the street with it.

When faced with the exhortibant cost involved with functional medicine, I often skip steps and remind myself that Dr. Bredesen has improved cognition in people who are more impaired than I am even when they weren't able to fulfill all the steps of the protocol. Now, if I were 4, 4 I don't know what I'd do, and I feel a lot of sympathy toward people who may have more vulnerabilities of whatever kind, or who just have the bravery, time and resources to do it all.

So as I see it, you're in an interesting position. You've gotten rid of two potential problem teeth. If your dentist finds more, you can go the whole nine yards or settle on half way as a compromise?
I've had so much dental work over the decades partially due to the lack of fluoride in my childhood water, sugar gum in my teens and overaggressive dentistry. Now I have a woman conservative dentist that I trust. The past few years, I've been plagued with gum pockets which tightened up with three times a day floss (Xlent charcoal coconut floss) and ultrasonic cleanings every three months. It's my impression that starting alendronate for osteopenia has halted the decline and possibly explains my 103 y/o mom's incredible teeth. The dentist claims she would "be out of business" if everyone had her teeth/gums. She never snacks and uses baking soda, but also took alendronate for decades until the last few years. You might consider exploring if bone loss is contributing to your dental woes. Please PM me if you have any specific dental questions since I've had it all: implants, bridge, root canal splits, etc...
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

KatieS wrote: I've had so much dental work over the decades partially due to the lack of fluoride in my childhood water, sugar gum in my teens and overaggressive dentistry. Now I have a woman conservative dentist that I trust. The past few years, I've been plagued with gum pockets which tightened up with three times a day floss (Xlent charcoal coconut floss) and ultrasonic cleanings every three months. It's my impression that starting alendronate for osteopenia has halted the decline and possibly explains my 103 y/o mom's incredible teeth. The dentist claims she would "be out of business" if everyone had her teeth/gums. She never snacks and uses baking soda, but also took alendronate for decades until the last few years. You might consider exploring if bone loss is contributing to your dental woes. Please PM me if you have any specific dental questions since I've had it all: implants, bridge, root canal splits, etc...
Thanks for the tip about the Xlent floss. I hadn’t heard of that before and will try it. My gum pockets have not been bad. I’ve been dissolving an oral probiotic in my mouth most nights; I first learned about that on another thread here, and it has been helpful in reducing pocket depth. I do have some level of osteopenia, so your comment about alendronate is something I’ll keep in mind.
“Overaggressive dentistry” is a good description of my situation. I went to the hygienist and during the cleaning complained about a tooth that was bothering me. That tooth felt “hollow” and sometimes It moved a little. The hygienist took X-rays and conferred with the dentist. The dentist said “No wonder that tooth feels loose. You have an abscess.” Because I have such a fear of oral bacteria getting into my brain, I had him pull the tooth, right then. BUT.....the tooth he pulled was not the problem tooth. It was a molar that had never bothered me in any way. Horrible miscommunication. Two months later, once that extraction site had healed, I had the actual offending tooth pulled. It was cracked at the root, and had an abscess which explained all of the symptoms, including why it was loose. My dentist insists that the first tooth he pulled did have an abscess and needed to be pulled. I don’t believe him.

I do believe him though that last year was an extraordinary year for stress-induced cracked teeth.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

floramaria wrote:
KatieS wrote: I've had so much dental work over the decades partially due to the lack of fluoride in my childhood water, sugar gum in my teens and overaggressive dentistry. Now I have a woman conservative dentist that I trust. The past few years, I've been plagued with gum pockets which tightened up with three times a day floss (Xlent charcoal coconut floss) and ultrasonic cleanings every three months. It's my impression that starting alendronate for osteopenia has halted the decline and possibly explains my 103 y/o mom's incredible teeth. The dentist claims she would "be out of business" if everyone had her teeth/gums. She never snacks and uses baking soda, but also took alendronate for decades until the last few years. You might consider exploring if bone loss is contributing to your dental woes. Please PM me if you have any specific dental questions since I've had it all: implants, bridge, root canal splits, etc...
Thanks for the tip about the Xlent floss. I hadn’t heard of that before and will try it. My gum pockets have not been bad. I’ve been dissolving an oral probiotic in my mouth most nights; I first learned about that on another thread here, and it has been helpful in reducing pocket depth. I do have some level of osteopenia, so your comment about alendronate is something I’ll keep in mind.
“Overaggressive dentistry” is a good description of my situation. I went to the hygienist and during the cleaning complained about a tooth that was bothering me. That tooth felt “hollow” and sometimes It moved a little. The hygienist took X-rays and conferred with the dentist. The dentist said “No wonder that tooth feels loose. You have an abscess.” Because I have such a fear of oral bacteria getting into my brain, I had him pull the tooth, right then. BUT.....the tooth he pulled was not the problem tooth. It was a molar that had never bothered me in any way. Horrible miscommunication. Two months later, once that extraction site had healed, I had the actual offending tooth pulled. It was cracked at the root, and had an abscess which explained all of the symptoms, including why it was loose. My dentist insists that the first tooth he pulled did have an abscess and needed to be pulled. I don’t believe him.

I do believe him though that last year was an extraordinary year for stress-induced cracked teeth.
Which dental probiotic do you take now? Severals years ago, I took this one:

Does your's improve your dental hygiene depth readings? Mine used to be 2&3, but when the bone loss started, I suddenly had higher readings.

Cracked teeth can result from nocturnal bruxism due to untreated sleep apnea. In retrospect, I think the latter created this and morning dry mouth (snoring); all contributing to my dental demise.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

KatieS wrote:Which dental probiotic do you take now? Severals years ago, I took this one:
... _lig_dp_it
Does your's improve your dental hygiene depth readings? Mine used to be 2&3, but when the bone loss started, I suddenly had higher readings.

Cracked teeth can result from nocturnal bruxism due to untreated sleep apnea. In retrospect, I think the latter created this and morning dry mouth (snoring); all contributing to my dental demise.
That is the probiotic I take.
I plan to be evaluated for sleep apnea at some point; I’ve been on a waiting list for a long time. My bruxism seemed stress related. I watched too much news.