Thoughts/reactions to the J&J covid vaccine?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Thoughts/reactions to the J&J covid vaccine?

Post by Nequals1Guy »

I am curious if anyone has experienced side effects from the Johnson & Johnson (Single shot) Covid vaccine? Particularly, if you have already had Covid and got vaccinated after already having Covid. I know the standard answer is to get vaccinated but is there any hesitation by anyone other than myself regarding vaccination?

My experience with getting Covid was somewhat mild. No loss of taste or smell or other noticeable neurological symptoms. I only had a couple of days of fever and malaise. The duration of the sickness was probably a good 7-10 days of less than optimal health. On the other hand, my identical twin brother got the Moderno vaccination and it knocked him down severely for a good week. He felt way worse from the vaccine than I felt with Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Thoughts/reactions to the J&J covid vaccine?

Post by Julie G »

My son had COVID back in March of 2020 and just received the J&J vaccine. He had minimal side effects; slight arm soreness, a bit of fatigue, some aches and pains. It didn't seem to slow him down as he went mountain biking the next day. FWIW, I never had COVID and felt pretty badly after the 1st Moderna vaccine. I'm not looking forward to the 2nd. :?
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

Thanks Julie. I guess my initial concern is around the fact that some evidence seems to point to SARS-CoV-2's ability to bind its spike proteins to endothelial cells of the brain. It's hypothesized that this can "cause the blood-brain barrier to become leaky, potentially causing the neurological symptoms associated with COVID-19."
(https://www.drugtargetreview.com/news/7 ... cientists/)

I wonder if similar effects could be expected with the vaccines. Additionally, I wonder if the APOE4 brain does an extra good job of "cleanup.," hence leading to a potentially greater buildup of debris piles in the brain.

I don't know if anything I just said makes sense.

CharityCat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CharityCat »

I got my first Pfizer shot on Friday morning. I slept through Friday night, napped most of Saturday, and slept through Saturday night too. I never sleep that much! My arm also got pretty sore, but that’s gone as of today. Definitely better than winding up sick... I hope the second shot isn’t way worse or anything— that’s on the 23rd.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

CharityCat wrote:I got my first Pfizer shot on Friday morning. I slept through Friday night, napped most of Saturday, and slept through Saturday night too. I never sleep that much! My arm also got pretty sore, but that’s gone as of today. Definitely better than winding up sick... I hope the second shot isn’t way worse or anything— that’s on the 23rd.
My husband had the same reaction as you to the first Pfizer shot-- and he never naps! He was fine after the second shot. That was when I learned what that fatigue felt like, along with some aches (like having moved a ton of heavy furniture) after the second shot. Nothing too bad, although I was glad the day after Shot #2 wasn't busy! Enjoy knowing you had that immune reaction!
4/4 and still an optimist!
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

I had the J&J vaccine last Tuesday and it was no joke! I was hesitant with all the vaccines because of allergies and previous reactions to other vaccines. For context I'm a 3/4, diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and I also have something autoimmune going on. I never contracted COVID-19 before being vaccinated. I have a long history of getting severely ill with the flu and even colds. Past flu infections would leave me fatigued for a few months after being infected as an adult. As a child, if I got the flu, I'd normally end up being hospitalized because my fevers would go really high.

With the J&J, thank goodness only one shot, I had a sore arm and then that night experienced an extreme amount of body pain, headaches, and nausea. I had successfully brought my Fibromyalgia pain symptoms into remission so the pain after the shot was really bad for three days, heavy duty brain fog, apathy, fatigue, and migraine like headaches. I'm still feeling some brain fog.

I've talked with a few other people who had the J&J vaccine and the ones really feeling miserable had underlying autoimmune conditions.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

Update. I took the J&J shot. Brain fog has lasted two weeks and I'm starting to wonder if I'm screwed. ..but at least I didn't die of blood clots.

NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Nequals1Guy wrote:Update. I took the J&J shot. Brain fog has lasted two weeks and I'm starting to wonder if I'm screwed. ..but at least I didn't die of blood clots.

Hope the fog lifts soon! And admire your ability to see the ray if sunshine in the fog.

If you're interested, here's a link to the CDC's reporting system that is available for medical and public use:

Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System
4/4 and still an optimist!
nerdymel23
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nerdymel23 »

Nequals1Guy wrote:Update. I took the J&J shot. Brain fog has lasted two weeks and I'm starting to wonder if I'm screwed. ..but at least I didn't die of blood clots.
I took the J&J on March 30th and my brain fog is finally starting to lift. I had a headache for two weeks. Do you follow any of the protocols in the Wiki? I was digging through the information and it was a good reminder that I had the power to work through this to get myself back on track. I added back in some previous supplements after my noticing a few blood markers were out of optimal range.
ApoE3/4
Board Certified Functional Medicine Health Coach
Certified Wahls Protocol Health Coach
Certified ReCODE Health Coach
TLS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TLS »

NF52 wrote:

Hope the fog lifts soon! And admire your ability to see the ray if sunshine in the fog.

If you're interested, here's a link to the CDC's reporting system that is available for medical and public use:

Vaccine Adverse Effect Reporting System

Thank you for posting about the brain fog. I took the shot 2 weeks ago and initially had a fever, chills, headache, etc. That went away after 2 days but I had a weird reaction with my head. It was hard to think (brain fog) and my head felt 'funny' for 2 weeks. I would not call it a headache, more of a feeling of light pressure. It's much better now.

I don't know if I had COVID but suspect I may have had it in the very beginning when the disease first arrived.
apoe 3/4