Best fish for max DHA and minimum mercury?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Linduska
Contributor
Contributor

Best fish for max DHA and minimum mercury?

Post by Linduska »

I’m curious as to what are the most recommended types of fish that are helpful for the DHA but that do not have mercury? Which fish are best to avoid?
We usually buy wild caught in the USA...
Appreciate your help. I think this would be the most meaningful change for me, since I’m low on DHA, to incorporate the right fish. Is once a week enough?
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best fish for max DHA and minimum mercury?

Post by grommet »

Salmon (wild, not farmed), Mackerel, Sardines, Herring, and Trout are the top picks per this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hdVpzvLbYo

Caviar amplifies DHA in phospholipid form which supposedly is more beneficial for APOe4 carriers.
Dan
ε4,ε4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Dr Rhonda Patrick, a fellow ApoE4, is very fond of Salmon Roe as a preferred source of DHA. You can read more from her website:

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/topics/salmon-roe
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Anab
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Anab »

Any particular brand of salmon roe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Family Tree Guy »

Linduska wrote:I’m curious as to what are the most recommended types of fish that are helpful for the DHA but that do not have mercury? Which fish are best to avoid?
We usually buy wild caught in the USA...
Appreciate your help. I think this would be the most meaningful change for me, since I’m low on DHA, to incorporate the right fish. Is once a week enough?
A brand named SafeCatch actually tests every fish they use for mercury before canning them. You can find them on Amazon and I like their canned salmon quite a bit. Kind of a funny story that they were a startup with a fast mercury test and quickly found out that none of the big companies wanted to actually test all their fish for mercury, so these changed their business model.
Linduska
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Linduska »

Thank you!