For My Fellow EVOO Epicurians

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: For My Fellow EVOO Epicurians

Post by lumia »

Not really an "epicuran" question, but anyone tried putting EVOO into their coffee? I'm considering replacing the coconut oil in my coffee with EVOO (still has LCT oil, though), but I'm unsure whether the strong flavour of EVOO would combine well with coffee, especially given the polyphenols tend to give the flavours in the oil...
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Lumia, just my opinion- BLEH :shock:... not to mention that the heat of the coffee could destroy the polyphenols.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

I tried it years ago...BLEH is right. I do like coffee with a little cocoa butter, but then I suppose the saturated fat is something you are trying to avoid. If you do try to add low SFA oil to coffee, I'm pretty sure the way to go is with neutral-flavored refined oils rather than virgin--cocoa butter excepted.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

lumia wrote:Not really an "epicuran" question, but anyone tried putting EVOO into their coffee? I'm considering replacing the coconut oil in my coffee with EVOO (still has LCT oil, though), but I'm unsure whether the strong flavour of EVOO would combine well with coffee, especially given the polyphenols tend to give the flavours in the oil...
I haven't tried EVOO in coffee, but I have been brewing some berry powders and spices in with my coffee lately and digging the variety. I could see macadamia nut oil pairing better with coffee than EVOO, which tends to have a strong bitterness / irritant quality to it (oleocanthal) when you've got the good stuff.

I picked up some cacao powder the other day from Chococru. I've been experimenting with nuts tossed in olive oil + cacao powder and finding the taste fairly chocolatey and satisfying without need for a sweetener (granted, I eat 100% unsweetened bakers chocolate like candy.) This goes great with a cup of black coffee.
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

I would have to second the macadamia oil suggestion even though I have not tried it. I used to like flavored coffees with hazelnut or almond. Mac oil probably has great lipid profile for what you are aiming at.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I've only seen roasted macadamia nut oil in stores. I avoid that because I don't trust that the roasting process didn't oxidize the oils in the nuts. Has anyone seen this not roasted?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

circular wrote:I've only seen roasted macadamia nut oil in stores. I avoid that because I don't trust that the roasting process didn't oxidize the oils in the nuts. Has anyone seen this not roasted?
This is the one I usually see at the store: http://www.mac-nut-oil.com/why-mac-nut-oil.php
We begin with the finest tree-ripened Australian macadamia nuts and mechanically cold press them using no solvents or chemicals. This traditional method of extracting the oil ensures the highest quality and preserves the superb aroma and taste-that's what makes MacNut Oil the gold standard. And, because MacNut Oil is the only oil we process, there is no risk of cross-contamination with other nuts.
In a proprietary process, we press the nuts using a chilled expeller press and then filter it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Ah, I forgot about that one. I had it once long ago but didn't like that it's in a clear bottle, thinking the light could oxidize the omega 3s in it? They always put roasted mac oil in cans it seems, and yet it's probably too far gone to need the special packaging.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

circular wrote:Ah, I forgot about that one. I had it once long ago but didn't like that it's in a clear bottle, thinking the light could oxidize the omega 3s in it? They always put roasted mac oil in cans it seems, and yet it's probably too far gone to need the special packaging.
If I recall, Olivado has one of the highest quality Avocado oils. It looks like they also sell Extra Virgin Mac Nut Oil in a dark glass bottle.
http://www.olivado.com/products/extra-v ... te]Olivado Extra Virgin Macadamia Nut Oil is all natural and contains no trans fats, additives, preservatives or artificial ingredients. Like all Olivado oils, Olivado Extra Virgin Macadamia Nut Oil is bottled in dark glass to further ensure long life.[/quote]Although, I'd probably rather just eat the nuts with my coffee (usually tossed with a tiny bit of olive oil and seasoned with herbs / spices / salt.) It is nice for some variety -- I find the oil tastes mildly sweet on a salad.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hey that's a good find. I think I got a little bored with how mild maca oil was, the unroasted but clear-bottled version. I may try this one. Maybe I'll even toss my coffee in the Blentec with the nuts and see what happens 8-) Or try that with hazelnuts ... Actually I prefer it straight up but I also like to experiment.