Wife that hates leafy veg

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
lumia
Contributor
Contributor

Wife that hates leafy veg

Post by lumia »

Hello again and sorry for the half-year silence. Now we have settled in San Diego and got some time reading Dr. Bresden's book (the 2020 one specifically).

Generally, I don't have too much of an issue with the current 12/3 diet, but I already found a big resistance in adopting it: my wife. Specifically, she hates most vegs, probably as the side effect of her mother forcing her to eat those at a young age. How does she hate it? Well, she couldn't even stand riced cauliflower without heavy spices, and the "common" vegetables that I know she's OK with are napa, green beans, and broccoli.

So what should we do to handle this? I personally have no issues with vegetables of any kind.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Wife that hates leafy veg

Post by NF52 »

lumia wrote:Hello again and sorry for the half-year silence. Now we have settled in San Diego and got some time reading Dr. Bresden's book (the 2020 one specifically).

Generally, I don't have too much of an issue with the current 12/3 diet, but I already found a big resistance in adopting it: my wife. Specifically, she hates most vegs, probably as the side effect of her mother forcing her to eat those at a young age. How does she hate it? Well, she couldn't even stand riced cauliflower without heavy spices, and the "common" vegetables that I know she's OK with are napa, green beans, and broccoli.

So what should we do to handle this? I personally have no issues with vegetables of any kind.
Hi lumia,

It can be hard to understand the visceral dislike someone else has for foods we enjoy--or at least don't mind. I was raised with German sauerbraten served with extra vinegar on the table, and love it, but abhor the idea of sushi which my kids love. And anything stronger than a green pepper is usually "too spicy" for my Midwestern-type taste buds!

So one way to think of this is not getting specific vegetables from the plate to your wife's stomach, but instead getting the needed nutrients in, even if that means some creative sources or supplements. Here's a recent topic posted by one of our Board members that I found well worth reading and hope you might enjoy also:
The best diet for ApoE4s -Precision Nutrition - latest paper
TheresaB wrote:This paper was just released.

Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

Also, here's a short (less than 5 minutes) video abstract given by the author: Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer's Prevention in ApoE4 carriers - Video Abstract
4/4 and still an optimist!
Family Tree Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Wife that hates leafy veg

Post by Family Tree Guy »

lumia wrote:Hello again and sorry for the half-year silence. Now we have settled in San Diego and got some time reading Dr. Bresden's book (the 2020 one specifically).

I eat most of my greens by tossing them in my morning smoothie with a bunch of frozen blueberries. Once the spinach, kale, chard, or whatever is all mixed up in the smoothie, I don't even taste them. The flavor of the berries dominates the smoothie. If your wife can accept the taste of a berry flavored smoothie, just sneak some greens in there!