I am so lost abouts diets.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
kayakmac08
Contributor
Contributor

Re: I am so lost abouts diets.

Post by kayakmac08 »

With intermittent fasting, I like to go over 16hr. from time to time, just because it extends the window in which I am in ketosis, and leads to a little bit more metabolic flexibility. I consider that an advantage for helping combat inflammation and insulin resistance, two things which I am prone to, partially because I am 4/4. But I think the 14-16hr. range is still good.

With the veggies, I agree that it makes sense for you to keep them moderated so that your carbs don't creep up too high and interfere with Keto. I hope that Keto works for you! Strictly for the purposes of avoiding Alzheimer's, I don't think Keto is necessary at our age, but it sounds like your reasons for doing Keto are more for gut health. And that's a worthy goal, since reducing inflammation (whether in the gut or anywhere else) is a key part of avoiding Alzheimer's if you're a 4/4. However, actually, I do worry a bit about whether Keto might be harming your gut health instead of helping. There is some concern being raised in the medical community about the impact of Keto on gut health, such as mentioned in this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6678592/. Nonetheless, I think your experiment with Keto is worthwhile. It definitely works for some people, so maybe it will for you! Oh, also, I would be cautious to make sure you are getting enough fiber on Keto, if I didn't mention that already.

With cheese, the concern is because of the powerful effects of cheese (because of the high saturated fat content) on the levels of oxidized LDL and LDL-P (especially the small, dense variety) in 4/4s. Cheese (and saturated fat, generally) often causes those levels to shoot up dramatically in 4/4s, which over time can lead to inflammation, hardening of the arteries, and plaque buildup in the arteries, which in turn leads to the production of amyloid plaque throughout the body (as the body reacts to the inflammation and particle build-up in the arteries and organs). That amyloid will eventually start accumulating in the brain if you are a 4/4 (often by the time you're in your 30s or 40s), and often leads to Alzheimer's in 4/4s by the time they're in their 60s. And of course all this is associated with cardiovascular disease, which tends to strike 4/4s earlier. Part of this earlier onset of Alzheimer's and cardiovascular disease in 4/4s is because we already (even without cheese) tend to accumulate oxidized LDL and LDP-P in our bodies, and so eating cheese just makes the problem worse.

But that's not the end of it. To make matters worse, 4/4s are also are hyperinflammatory, which means they produce MORE amyloid plaque than the average person, which of course ends up in the brain. And it gets even worse: As if all this wasn't bad enough for 4/4s, we also struggle to REMOVE amyloid plaque buildup out of the brain after it accumulates there (although for most folks, like your average 3/3, this isn't such an issue). And so the amyloid sticks around (quite literally) in the brains of 4/4s who eat lots of cheese, and starts to kill the brain, leading to Alzheimer's eventually. And so, what I am getting at is that, for a 4/4 to keep cheese as a regular part of their diet is just asking for trouble. And yes, you're right that one of the big espousers of this wisdom is one of our "favorite" people on this forum, Dr. Gundry (close guess with Dr. Bredesen, haha). But although I think Gundry is a little overzealous when it comes to things like lectins, I think he's onto something with his dire warnings about cheese, because it overlaps with a lot of other medical professionals. Lots and lots will say that 4/4s should avoid cheese. Here is a video where Dr. Gundry gets onto his soapbox about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm_IvOYSgww. And now I'll get off mine lol.

As for the rest of the stuff you're doing, I think it's great. The red meat isn't ideal, but it's not as bad as cheese, especially if you try to stick to leaner cuts and/or grass-fed sources. And since you're figuring out Keto, it makes a little more sense to stick with red meat for now.

As for my experiences, it's important for me to clarify that my goals for my diet were never to address GI issues, but strictly to prevent Alzheimer's, since it runs in my family (both sides) and because I am 4/4. It sounds like your goals have more to do with gut (and mental/psychological) health than Alzheimer's prevention at this point. However, I will say I have noticed some mental health benefits from my approach. I have seen improved focus, energy, less brain fog, and consistently a better mood after about two weeks in my current routine. I attribute this to my exercise and also theorize that I was slightly insulin resistant beforehand but have lost that. I used to constantly have sugar cravings throughout the day and mid-afternoon crashes after eating lunch, which would usually be accompanied by a vague mild depressed feeling, but now all that has completely gone. I can go 18 hours without eating and barely notice and I don't have strong cravings anymore, for anything, really. And my mood stays much more stable and positive, content. It's freeing. And I don't get tired much anymore, like at all. If anything, I have the opposite problem more often now. And on top of this, my gut health seems to be a little bit better. I am more regular and consistent, in every way. Now is this due to my diet specially? I am not sure. I think exercise is a big part. And there are other variables involved. But I think diet has a played a role.

Hope this is helpful!
  • 4/4 male, born 1989
  • Status discovery: 2020
  • Regimen: 14+ hr. fast/day; 200-300 min of mod-vig exercise/week; Med-esque diet; Supplementing with Trig DHA, B vits, D3
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

leolouo wrote:Im born in france, so its part of my dna and so far, it doesnt feel like a good idea since its a very nice source of fat and even some protein are in it.
Diet is one of the most individual things out there, and it's hard work to figure out what works. If I ate beans, even pressure cooked, like Quantifier, I would be crippled because I can't tolerate high oxalate foods. And, I'm on my 3rd major round of modifying my diet to work better for me. It's a process for sure.

I want to add that Bredesen's protocol suggests avoiding dairy because it is often inflammatory for people. Most dairy in the US has an A1 protein (from Holstein cattle), which seems particularly inflammatory. Most European cheese contains A2 protein (from N. European cattle lines, and including some herds of Guernseys and Jerseys in the US) and is typically more well-tolerated by folks.

Goat and sheep's cheese has the A2 protein. So, they recommend if you do eat cheese, stick to the A2 versions and you should be okay. I'd say don't worry about the goat cheese unless you have some unexplained inflammation.
leolouo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leolouo »

Diet is one of the most individual things out there, and it's hard work to figure out what works.
It is. but, I carefully read the last paper about Apoe4 and systemic impairments from that condition and how Low Carb helps but how the pure state of Ketosis looks like its simply a game changer. Thats why i fail to think going only Low carb is enough. When reading carefully every line about the Keto diet from this article, it appears that it changes everything. And every single argument that says Keto might be a problem is demolished by the scientific explanation. Lipids? not a problem, since Ketosis changes how Lipids are moved and it doesnt stack nor lack recycling anymore. By the way, thats why according to this article, Lipids and cheese isnt really a problem anymore once you are in ketosis.

There is a problem though. Eating less than 25g of carb a day is extremely difficult, even when buying only nuts meats cheeses and the lowest carb veggies, once you count things, between those almonds etc, it is so easy to reach the 25g. And if you keep it under 25g, it is so easy to not get enough calories. Thats where im struggling.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

leolouo wrote: There is a problem though. Eating less than 25g of carb a day is extremely difficult.....
Hi leolouo, like many people here I am able to eat more than 25 grams of carbs per day and stay in ketosis. It took me awhile (over a year) to get to the point where I could be more lenient with my diet and still have ketones above 1.0, but I do that with my carb intake in the neighborhood of 60 grams/day. I know that some people do keep their carb intake super low , but I don’t find it necessary and it may not be for you either. Have you been measuring your ketone levels? For me , that was essential in the early days of getting into ketosis.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
leolouo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leolouo »

floramaria wrote:
leolouo wrote: There is a problem though. Eating less than 25g of carb a day is extremely difficult.....
Hi leolouo, like many people here I am able to eat more than 25 grams of carbs per day and stay in ketosis. It took me awhile (over a year) to get to the point where I could be more lenient with my diet and still have ketones above 1.0, but I do that with my carb intake in the neighborhood of 60 grams/day. I know that some people do keep their carb intake super low , but I don’t find it necessary and it may not be for you either. Have you been measuring your ketone levels? For me , that was essential in the early days of getting into ketosis.
Hi, i dont because when i checked for the machines that test it, they either are super expensive or pretty inconsistent and inaccurate. So i chose to use the How i feel metter. But ill see how this is going
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

leolouo wrote:
floramaria wrote:
Hi, i dont because when i checked for the machines that test it, they either are super expensive or pretty inconsistent and inaccurate. So i chose to use the How i feel metter. But ill see how this is going
Hi leolouo, I just checked Keto-Mojo's website and they have a basic starter kit on sale now for $44.99. Unfortunately they don't ship to Canada. (Have friends in the US? Maybe someone could order it for you and then forward it.) Kit includes the meter, lancets and 10 strips of both ketone and glucose strips. That is the meter I have used for years. I don't measure my glucose of ketones often anymore, but getting an actual measurement of where you are can be so helpful. You might be able to add in some of those complex carbs you are missing and still be in ketosis.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
jginorio
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jginorio »

Hi leolouo:
I feel exactly the same way you do. I'm 46 and 4/4. My mother was diagnosed with ALZ which lead me on a journey to understand whats going on and what I could do to mitigate my risks. I've read books (bredesen, gundry, etc) I've listened to dozens of pocasts (Attia, Rhonda, Lugavere, D;agostino, etc) I;ve lost count of how many studies, papers, etc I've read.

At first I tried to find a Bredesen protocol trained physician (I live on an island in the caribbean, so there are none here). I contacted several in the US but all required the first meeting to be at their facility. So I decided to try and implement the protocol as best I could on my own, which has led me on a confusing and, sometimes, overwhelming path.

I started with keto, followed it fairly strict for a couple of months. I felt great, drop 20 pounds, everything was perfect until I got my labs done. My cholesterol, lipids were out of whack. My wife kept the same diet and her lab work was perfect. Come to find out that as 4/4 we don't metabolize fats very well, so we need to be in mild ketosis. Kept reading specifically about nutrition for 4/4 and there are landmines all over the place (fats, omega 6 vs omega 3, etc etc)

Got so frustrated, that I just decided to keep it simple until hopefully I can find a trained physician that can help guide me in this process:
1. I exercise 4-5 times a week and try to be as lean/fit as possible.
2. I do blood work every 3-4 months. I pay particular attention to: glucose, A1C, homoysteine. I change things up according to the results
3. Purchased an OURA ring and have been paying close attention to sleep, particularly, deep sleep (which apparently is another issue with 4/4)
4. Supplement with - Omega 3, CoQ10, niacin, resveratrol, vitamin b,c,d...At night experimenting with ashwagandha and magnesium for better sleep.

I'm trying to not let the possibility of getting ALZ consume me and I try to manage the simple things and, hopefully, avoid the same situation as my mother..

Just my 2 cents,

Wish you the best,

Jorge