DHA/Phospholipids/Plasmalogens !!! What to do ???

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
slinkystrudels
Contributor
Contributor

DHA/Phospholipids/Plasmalogens !!! What to do ???

Post by slinkystrudels »

Am totally confused about what to do - first I thought DHA is phospholipid form was the way to go....then, I read on here (Dr Goodenowe I think) that it doesn’t make it to the brain. Obviously , he was setting up to promote his Prodrome Plasmalogen supplement which is prohibitively expensive .
Am massively frustrated with this - What on Earth do us 4/4s need to take to get the ‘goods’ to our brains ?! :roll:
41years old from bonnie Scotland. 4/4 ....
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: DHA/Phospholipids/Plasmalogens !!! What to do ???

Post by NewRon »

Fatty fish, twice a week.

Sardines, sardines, glorious sardines!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JD2020 »

I would love to hear your suggestions for how to incorporate sardines into your meal. I bought some, ate some, and I did not enjoy them at all.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

JD2020 wrote:I would love to hear your suggestions for how to incorporate sardines into your meal. I bought some, ate some, and I did not enjoy them at all.
You might try Season’s brand. I find they are milder. They’re also lower in mercury and arsenic than the Wild Planet ones I used to at, at least from the cans that ConsumerLab tested.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... ne-recipes

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spa ... ines-toast

I'm not sure if it's included in the first list, but I toast a brown sourdough, spread it with mustard, then place the tinned (canned) sardines on top and pour olive oil over everything.

I think somebody here once said that it's healthier to use sardines canned in water, rather than oil, as you have no guarantees as to the quality of the oils. I concur.

I would encourage everyone to try these wonderful nutritional powerhouses at least once a week. It'll take a few weeks to get used to them if you haven't tried them before but persist. Just research their benefits!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

JD2020 wrote:I would love to hear your suggestions for how to incorporate sardines into your meal. I bought some, ate some, and I did not enjoy them at all.
I put them on a bed of romaine lettuce and eat them with croutons and EVOO.
slinkystrudels
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slinkystrudels »

I forgot to say - I LOATHE fish. The thought of sardines is almost making me gag. I can’t stand any fish at all without wanting to vom 🤮
41years old from bonnie Scotland. 4/4 ....
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I eat sardines on baked crackers with hot sauce on top.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

slinkystrudels wrote:Am totally confused about what to do - first I thought DHA is phospholipid form was the way to go....then, I read on here (Dr Goodenowe I think) that it doesn’t make it to the brain. Obviously , he was setting up to promote his Prodrome Plasmalogen supplement which is prohibitively expensive .
Am massively frustrated with this - What on Earth do us 4/4s need to take to get the ‘goods’ to our brains ?! :roll:
HI Again,

You might like this article link: which is full of thoughtful, informed advice on what to eat and what supplements may be helpful to ApoE4s:
TheresaB wrote:This paper was just released.

Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer’s Prevention in ApoE4 Carriers

Also, here's a short (less than 5 minutes) video abstract given by the author: Precision Nutrition for Alzheimer's Prevention in ApoE4 carriers - Video Abstract

According to LinkedIn, the primary author, Nicholas Norwitz holds a PhD from Oxford and is an MD candidate at Harvard.

Per the paper, precision nutrition is “an emerging approach for disease treatment and prevention that takes into account individual variability in genes, environment, and lifestyle for each person” [16]."

Much of the advice in the paper is what we've heard before, but this paper cites current research. It is reassuring to know this validates the path many of us have taken. He recommends a Low Carb diet with keto option, Mediterranean food choices, and certain supplements. For the "cliff notes" scroll down (it's page 14 of my downloaded PDF version) to Table 1 for the diet and keep scrolling to Table 2 for the supplements....

I'm with you on the sardines--salmon is a great source of DHA though--and I supplement to get to the recommended amount. It may not all get to the brain, but the sardines don't swim up there either!
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

NF52 wrote:… but the sardines don't swim up there either!
Mine do. When I look in the mirror they're staring back through my eyes.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.