Bredesen's new book and Cronometer problems

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Bredesen's new book and Cronometer problems

Post by Jan18 »

I'm so confused and exasperated. When I plug in my numbers using Bredesen's formula for macros starting on pg. 194 of the new book, then put them into cronometer.com, I get different macro grams! (FYI, I'm ultimately choosing "lose 1 lb/wk" on cronometer, but even before I choose that, when I just use "maintain" to double check the result I get using his formula, the macro grams come out different!)

Also, he says I can tell cronometer to track the complete proteins and incomplete proteins separately, since plant proteins shouldn't figure into our total protein macro amount. Where do I do that? I cannot find on cronometer.com how to separate those.

And we're supposed to track total carbs? Why not net carbs?

These questions have been plaguing me and maybe why I've stopped losing weight?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Bredesen's new book and Cronometer problems

Post by Julie G »

Hi Jan! As you probably already know, everyone's macronutrient ratios will be a bit different based on their BMR, age, activity level, unique protein needs, etc.

In the book, we do reference “net carbs” (total carbs − total fiber = net carbs) to highlight the importance of fiber, but for the sole purpose of calculating macronutrient ratios, we recommend using total carbs to make the math work.

It is important to distinguish between plant and animal protein as the former is often incomplete and generally less bioavailable. Additionally, all plants have some protein and the last thing we want you to do is limit plants for fear of exceeding total protein. For that reason, we recommend using the "Add Note" option on Cronometer to keep track of your total animal protein.

I'm happy to jump on a call to help you sort out your macronutrient ratios and show you how to get Cronometer set up, just reach out at Juliegee@apoe4.info.
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

Jan18 wrote:
Julie G wrote: ... It is important to distinguish between plant and animal protein as the former is often incomplete and generally less bioavailable. Additionally, all plants have some protein and the last thing we want you to do is limit plants for fear of exceeding total protein. For that reason, we recommend using the "Add Note" option on Cronometer to keep track of your total animal protein. ...
at Juliegee@apoe4.info.
You could also add a custom Cronometer biometric to track daily total of either plant or animal protein.
Add a Biometric: Web Version
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

BrianR wrote: You could also add a custom Cronometer biometric to track daily total of either plant or animal protein.
Add a Biometric: Web Version
Thank you, BrianR. I'm looking into doing that. :)
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

Julie G wrote: I'm happy to jump on a call to help you sort out your macronutrient ratios and show you how to get Cronometer set up, just reach out at Juliegee@apoe4.info.
Hi Julie!
Thank you so much for the offer. I may need to ask some questions. Though I have been using cronometer.com for a few years, I occasionally run into these computation issues!

I have to have an endoscopy and then the swallowable camera to check out my GI due to the low ferritin levels. Had colonoscopy last year and all was fine. Have to figure out why I'm losing iron stores. I am hoping it isn't anything serious. I eat eggs almost every day, chicken and salmon and occasionally red meat, so I thought I was getting enough iron. But when I discontinued the oral iron per my functional med doctor, my ferritin went down to 15.

I have read at Cleveland Clinic that overweight people might lose weight if low iron is addressed, so maybe that is why I haven't been able to continue losing weight!

Anxious to figure out the low iron, but procedure isn't until June 30 and then the camera thing isn't until three weeks later...meanwhile, I'm back on iron supplements.

But I am pleased that other cognoscopy values have improved! :)

Barbara
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Jan18 wrote:
Julie G wrote: I'm back on iron supplements.
When I looked at iron supplements years ago, Ferrochel (brand) iron bisglycinate (made by Albion and in many different products) was clearly better than the iron sulfate products.
Tincup
E3,E4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

When I looked at iron supplements years ago, Ferrochel (brand) iron bisglycinate (made by Albion and in many different products) was clearly better than the iron sulfate products.
Thanks, Tincup! My iron is that Ferrochel brand! (Sorry for late thanks...I rarely check email anymore because most of my communication is through text and I get dozens of junk email daily...it has turned into an albatross!)
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jan18 wrote:...I rarely check email anymore because most of my communication is through text and I get dozens of junk email daily...it has turned into an albatross!)
Hi Jan18! As a Moderator of the forum, I noticed that you're using an aol email account. If may come free with Comcast or another internet service provider, but you may want to still check out this 2018 article about aol email being a favorite target of hackers and suggestions for how to improve your privacy options. Lots of options out there besides gmail, but it does pretty accurately filter out my spam mail. Life is too short to have that hassle!

An easy transition from AOL to Gmail
4/4 and still an optimist!
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jan18 »

[/quote] Hi Jan18! As a Moderator of the forum, I noticed that you're using an aol email account. If may come free with Comcast or another internet service provider, but you may want to still check out this 2018 article about aol email being a favorite target of hackers and suggestions for how to improve your privacy options. Lots of options out there besides gmail, but it does pretty accurately filter out my spam mail. Life is too short to have that hassle!

An easy transition from AOL to Gmail[/quote]

Thanks so much for weighing in, NF52! I'll check out the article.

However, I hesitate to change my aol email as I've had it since the late 80's or so when we educators got our first Macs (remember those tiny screens on bulky boxes? ha!) I don't want the stress of contacting all my legitimate emailers with a new email. Ugh!

AOL filters out a ton of spam. It is companies/real estate offices/etc. that must have gotten my email address from other companies or that I have to give my email address to access their sites that send me stuff that doesn't get filtered. I think rather than hitting "delete" for those, I should be marking them as "spam" so that subsequent ones from them will be sent to Spam by AOL. AOL offers that method of weeding out stuff to the individual user.

I'll say this for AOL: I've had it now over 30 years and have never been "hacked."

Going to read the article now......thank you for offering help, NF52!!!!
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

Jan18 wrote:..
However, I hesitate to change my aol email as I've had it since the late 80's or so when we educators got our first Macs (remember those tiny screens on bulky boxes? ha!) I don't want the stress of contacting all my legitimate emailers with a new email. Ugh!

AOL filters out a ton of spam. It is companies/real estate offices/etc. that must have gotten my email address from other companies or that I have to give my email address to access their sites that send me stuff that doesn't get filtered. I think rather than hitting "delete" for those, I should be marking them as "spam" so that subsequent ones from them will be sent to Spam by AOL. AOL offers that method of weeding out stuff to the individual user.

I'll say this for AOL: I've had it now over 30 years and have never been "hacked."...
Yup, as a former special educator, I was an early Mac adopter and still love it! And also had an AOL account and had to wrestle with the customer service rep to cancel it. As for notifying people (I've switched from AOL to Yahoo to Gmail over the years) I found that using the Gmail was enough for most people, since they simply reply to the latest address they have. For the extended family and those not frequently in touch, I just sent out a group b/c gmail notice and asked them to switch. I didn't end the Yahoo account for years, but since it was dormant, only the spam was left after a while. Bye-bye spam. (And now I'm a fiend about labeling things as spam on both email and phone calls (by blocking the number). Good luck!
4/4 and still an optimist!