Has Ivermectin Been Looked at as Treatment Possibility?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
richhahn
Contributor
Contributor

Has Ivermectin Been Looked at as Treatment Possibility?

Post by richhahn »

What made me wonder is an anecdotal report from a doctor who said one of his Alzheimer's patients had shown improvement when he took Ivermectin for Covid-19. We know that Ivermectin acts as an anti-inflammatory, so that led me to think there might be something there.

Next, I searched on Alzheimer's and parasite and found several references to Toxoplasma gondii or T. gondii. While the link is not conclusive, I found this recent report Is Toxoplasma gondii a potential risk factor for Alzheimer's disease? A systematic review and meta-analysis (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 1019308769).

Highlights
  • The relationship between Alzheimer disease and toxoplasmosis in the world were systematically reviewed.
  • Based on the results of this meta-analysis, T.gondii can be considered as a risk factor for the development of AD.
  • The OR of the risk of T. gondii IgG antibody in Alzheimer patients compared to control groups was 1.53 (95% CI: 1.07–2.18).
  • Further studies are needed to identify the genotypes of Toxoplasma that can be involved in the development of AD.
Since there potentially appears to be a relationship between T. gondii and AZ, I searched on Ivermectin and toxoplasma gondii and found this in vitro study. In Vitro Effects of Ivermectin and Sulphadiazine on Toxoplasma gondii. (https://europepmc.org/article/PMC/4116007).

Result: These results indicate that ivermectin significantly inhibited replication of the tachyzoites of T. gondii RH strain.

I have read there also may be a viral component to Alzheimer's, so again Ivermectin might fit in here as well.

It would be interesting to know if anyone here who has taken Ivermectin has seen any improvement in their symptoms.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Re: Has Ivermectin Been Looked at as Treatment Possibility?

Post by Tincup »

For what it is worth, here is an anecdote where a guy using Ivermectin prophylactically for COVID had his Lyme to go into remission. Not that Lyme & AD are related.
Tincup
E3,E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

richhahn wrote:What made me wonder is an anecdotal report from a doctor who said one of his Alzheimer's patients had shown improvement when he took Ivermectin for Covid-19. We know that Ivermectin acts as an anti-inflammatory, so that led me to think there might be something there.

[*]Based on the results of this meta-analysis, T.gondii can be considered as a risk factor for the development of AD.

I have read there also may be a viral component to Alzheimer's, so again Ivermectin might fit in here as well.
Hi richhahn, Thanks for following up on the anecdotal report of AD symptom improvement that might be associated with ivermectin. What you found is interesting, and worth paying attention to. It is certainly worth watching to see if more reports of this correlation start to appear as people with cognitive problems are treated with ivermectin for COVID-19 infections.
As you said, there have been numerous studies that make a strong case that viruses and other pathogens contribute to AD. Inflammation also. So T. Gondi could be a factor. More investigation of this might prove to be valuable. So far, though, the correlation based on the meta-analysis seems fairly weak. This is a paragraph from the report. (Emphasis added)

Despite the fact that there was no evidence of publication bias (P = 0.079) using formal statistical test, the visual inspection of the funnel graph suggested that the observed effect was fueled mainly by three studies with large effects (and large standard errors). Moreover, the file-drawer effect (i.e. publishing mainly studies with positive results) might play a role in the phenomenon. Results of this meta-analytic study suggested that T. gondii can be considered a risk factor for the development of AD and exacerbation of its symptoms. However, the number of published relevant studies is still relatively low, and the risk of the presence of publication bias is relatively high.

Hopefully if anyone here on the Forums has had experience with ivermectin, especially as it relates to cognitive improvement, they’ll report that here.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

I spent a couple hours yesterday listening to youtube videos regarding Ivermectin and going to FLCCC.com that has a wealth of information on this drug. Studies are small but amazing and the fact that MSM ignores this information is disturbing. The chance that a study on its effects on Alzheimer's will be conducted is doubtful given that it is cheap and off patent at this point. Considering its safety record if I could get some I would certainly be taking it.
richhahn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by richhahn »

FLCCC has a paper you can give to your doctor that may convince them to prescribe it for you. If not, they have a list of doctors who do prescribe it, some are tele-doctors so available anywhere in US where telemedicine is allowed. If all else fails, many take horse ivermectin that only has apple flavoring added to it.

If I remember correctly, it was Dr. Kory of the FLCCC who told of a doctor contacting him and telling him about his Alzheimer's patient improving after taking Ivermectin for Covid-19.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Thanks Richcahn, I am going to try and get some.
Nequals1Guy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nequals1Guy »

I know a lot of folks that were chomping on the ivermectin horse paste during c19 outbreak. All the farm and ranch stores sell it. Folks also swallowed the serum that is usually given to cows and pigs via injection. Not sure how wise this would be to periodically swallow the liquid injectable form of ivermectin. From what I've read on actual ivermectin used for humans with an eye parasite, it's usually a pretty low dose that's swallowed for a period of only a few days.
Dod
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dod »

For what it's worth, I have heard it said by some one of the senior doctors who are more than dismayed that ivermectin has not been officially endorsed for early treatment of our virus issue, that people have seen their post-virus brain fog cleared with the drug
Jlhughette
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jlhughette »

I used to use ivermectin for my sheep for parasites, which is common. However, over time the parasites become immune to it. Perhaps since humans don’t normally use it for themselves, perhaps it might work at first for parasites, viruses, or other insults, but long term use might turn out to be ineffective. It is fairly well known that parasites adapt to long term use in livestock. .
Hughette
3/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

From Amazon.com: Durvet 3 Pack of Ivermectin Paste, 0.21 Ounces each, Apple Flavored Horse Dewormer

I've heard that Tractor Supply also carries this product.

The product label says it's not for human use, but...
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!