Photobiomodulation?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Photobiomodulation?

Post by Julie G »

Hi all, Just wondering if anybody is using this? If so, through what modality? Has it been helpful. TIA for any information.
JD2020
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Photobiomodulation?

Post by JD2020 »

I purchased this long ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_75

on the advice of my former DO to help manage a skin condition. I had finally learned the source of the problem (mercury), but even after chelating and my skin returning to looking normal, my back was still painful. The thought (which made sense to me) was that the nerves were hypersensitive and registering pain even though lesions were pretty much resolved. The idea was that this would help with inflammation, calm overreaction. A person at the company told me it would help the mitochondria work better (her lingo was more technical, but I cannot remember the details).

I think it helps with aches and pains. As an example, I pulled the muscles around my rib a couple of weeks ago. It seems less painful on the days that I used the device a couple of times throughout the day. Is this the sort of info that you are looking for?
Marinochka
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Photobiomodulation?oR

Post by Marinochka »

Hi Julie. I am 55 y.o.female 4/4 and using vielight neuro gamma every other day for last couple of months. We bought this device for my mom who was diagnosed with dementia four years ago and passed away last December. It helped her a little initially but she declined very fast and we stopped using it since she refused to wear it at all. I recently remembered that I still have it and suggested that my father who is 83 and mentally intact start using it. He has a heart failure and shortness of breath on exertion. He is a strong believer in traditional medicine and was greatly surprised that vielight neuro improved his shortness of breath and overall energy level. After that we bought vielight 633 red. I believe that both of the devices improve his mitochondrial function and work great for him. As I mentioned before I am using vielight neuro too. However, I don’t notice any difference in cognition or overall health. I have been on protocol for last 3 years. I am on a very low carb diet, eating once a day and exercising at least 6 times a week, taking supplements and seeing my functional medicine doctor a few times a year. So far I feel pretty sharp mentally. I am doing everything I can to escape my mom’s fate. I just hope that veilght is helping too.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Julie G wrote:Hi all, Just wondering if anybody is using this? If so, through what modality? Has it been helpful. TIA for any information.
I used photobiomodulation for pain and healing, not cognition, so you can skip down to my last paragraph if that’s all you’re interested in.

For a few years I regularly visited my trained and licensed laser therapist who used a Thor branded Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) device. https://www.thorlaser.com/enquiry.php?u ... CnEALw_wcB

I initially saw my therapist to recover from orthopedic foot surgery and then subsequently to deal with pain and to try to keep inflammation down. She followed the prescribed protocol, by initially addressing the lymphatic areas then would treat my pain areas.

Intellectually I understood how the light was penetrating below the surface of the skin to address the damaged tissue, improving lymphatic flow, improving circulation, and strengthening mitochondria. But I rarely felt different as a result of the treatment. My attitude was since my pain issues were really obnoxious that at best it was helping me, at worse I was wasting my money.

Then COVID came. My therapist worked out of her home and shut down her operation. Not going to my regular visits every two weeks hasn’t made any noticeable difference.

I do believe there is value to PBM and would use it again, especially for surgical recovery, but it was no miracle worker for me and won’t go back to therapy for my foot. I await the results of a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial of 228 participants that was supposed to conclude earlier this year. That trial used Vielight, a cranial PBM device for Alzheimer’s intervention. To my knowledge, results haven’t been released, but even then since the trial is being conducted by an interested party, the manufacturer of the device, the results need to be viewed critically. Bottom line, my attitude about the cranial photobiomodulation is if you have the money, do it, IF you can accept that at best it will be helpful but not a cure, and at worse you may waste your money.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

I use photobiomodulation almost daily -- cosmetically, for eye health, mitochondria/ATP, healing wounds faster, and nitric oxide supply. I haven't used it on the brain, simply because I don't have the know how and right equipment. According to Michael Hamblin, shining light on your lower legs also stimulates the bone marrow to release stem cells.

I think it would be wonderful if we as a group can find a good and affordable protocol for brain health, too.

P.s. Using red light therapy before exercise gives me more energy. My experience with wound healing and red light has been impressive, and my eye sight has definitely improved. There are also signs that it may lower ocular pressure. I will find out at my next opthalmology appointment if it does for me.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you, all- that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I'm doing a FaceBook Live with Dr. Bredesen and Marvin Berman, PhD to talk/learn about PBM for cognition and more. Join in if you're interested- on Dale Bredsesen, MD's Facebook page at 2PM PT on Thursday. You can always listen afterwards but ask questions if you join live. I look forward to learning more.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I use this;

https://redlightman.com/product/infrared-mini-830/

I use it intermittently, except when I sprained my ankle. I'm not sure if it helped for definite.

However, when I do use it, it's mainly on my forehead and on my thyroid, and I use it for about 10-15 mins in total. I'd usually use it for a few days in a row. I'm getting second dose mRNA today, so I'm doing my thymus!

I find I have to use it in the morning, otherwise it gives me very restless, shallow sleep and I awake tired. This probably indicates that it's having some systemic effects.

This guy has more info but you've probably seen it already and I'm not sure how reliable the info is;

https://selfhacked.com/blog/infrared-ra ... -benefits/

Dr Hamblin has retired (I think) to South Africa and I think is working for a university there. I'm sure he'd be amenable to chatting about it and answering any questions!
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

I was trying to post a screen recording but I can't.

1hr 13m in is a photobiomodulation protocol for macular degeneration:

https://youtu.be/ObtW353d5i0
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks to all for sharing!
I'm doing a FaceBook Live with Dr. Bredesen and Marvin Berman, PhD to talk/learn about PBM for cognition and more. Join in if you're interested- on Dale Bredsesen, MD's Facebook page at 2PM PT on Thursday. You can always listen afterwards but ask questions if you join live. I look forward to learning more.
Due to an emergency, the photobiomodulation FB Live is rescheduled for next Thursday, 7/1 at 2pm PT.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Julie G wrote: Due to an emergency, the photobiomodulation FB Live is rescheduled for next Thursday, 7/1 at 2pm PT.
Hi Julie, sending best wishes that whatever and whosever the emergency is, it resolves quickly and easily.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health