Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Post by SarahAnne »

Has anyone had experience using exercise devices that switch between low and high oxygenation during exercise? The one I’ve heard about is called “Live O2” (https://liveo2.com) but there are others. If there is another thread on this, please refer me! I couldn’t find it using the search function, but I’m very low-tech.

This equipment simulates a high altitude (low oxygen) environment during the initial phase of an exercise session and then switches to an oxygen rich environment during the intense phase of exercise. I think it’s similar to high intensity intervals with an oxygen chaser. The theory is to force oxygen rich blood into the brain and ultimately create an adaptive response that strengthens the brain over time. My local Bredesen-trained practitioner is using Live O2 in her practice for people at risk for, or in early stages of, AD. It’s expensive though and it’s rigorous.

More broadly, I believe one of my biggest issues is low oxygen/blood flow to the brain. I have very low blood pressure, cold extremities (Reynaud’s) and low energy. Obviously this also has many causes, but I read somewhere that if your fingers/toes seem always cold, your brain is an extremity that is also deprived. So the broader question is what you all think about other oxygen based approaches such as inversion tables, hyperbaric oxygen, maybe cryo-therapy, etc.

Sincere thanks,
SarahAnne
E3/E4, plus 2 generations of maternal AD (ie. high mitochondrial mtDNA risk)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Brain Oxygenation-High/Low O2 Exercise

Post by Julie G »

Has anyone had experience using exercise devices that switch between low and high oxygenation during exercise? The one I’ve heard about is called “Live O2” (https://liveo2.com) but there are others. If there is another thread on this, please refer me! I couldn’t find it using the search function, but I’m very low-tech.
Hi SarahAnne! Nice to see you posting. Yes, Dr. Bredesen is a big fan of this therapy. he refers to it as EWOT (Exercise With Oxygen Therapy.) I did a quick search and found a few hits; see here.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

SarahAnne wrote: More broadly, I believe one of my biggest issues is low oxygen/blood flow to the brain. I have very low blood pressure, cold extremities (Reynaud’s) and low energy. Obviously this also has many causes, but I read somewhere that if your fingers/toes seem always cold, your brain is an extremity that is also deprived. So the broader question is what you all think about other oxygen based approaches such as inversion tables, hyperbaric oxygen, maybe cryo-therapy, etc.
SarahAnne,

I'll come at this from a different perspective, breathing. Fundamentally would like to decrease sensitivity to CO2 as this drives the urge to breathe. Because of the Bohr Effect, the higher the serum CO2, the more O2 gets to the cells. This is from a rightward shift of the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve.

CO2 tolerance can be trained (think free divers as an endpoint).

I have a few posts on this, here and here.

In the posts are several approaches to training this. Here is another. As well as this one from Simon Borg-Olivier.

First, start with breathing through your nose all the time. Second, consider taping your mouth at night to insure you are nasal breathing during sleep. Two commercial options for tape for this purpose are here. Also 1" 3M Micropore paper tape can be used. The urge to breathe is caused by a buildup of CO2, not a lack of O2, though the brain also has an O2 sensor. The only issue with training is you have experience the discomfort of the urge to breathe. In the references are exercises you can do to lower O2 during exercise. A pulse ox or recording pulse ox could be helpful here. One is just to walk, then exhale and hold your breath out as long as you can. To see how you are doing, you can count your steps. When you break the breath hold, you can initially just sip air, then breathe normally for a bit. Rinse and repeat. I do this walking, jumping rope, using a rowing machine, a fan bike or NordicTrack skier. Any exercise can work. Even Heavy Hands.

When your CO2 tolerance increases, your cells will get more O2. The good news is the cost is free or very nominal.

You could perhaps add in an O2 concentrator or tank to take in some O2 after a breath hold, to alternate. I've not tried this, though I do have a tank with regulator for another purpose. Maybe I'll get a cannula and try it.
Tincup
E3,E4
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahAnne »

Wow…I’ve been away for a while and you’re reminding me of the deep expertise here! Super interesting about the breathing and Co2. With my pulse-ox, midday, the reading toggles between 98-99%. Having now tested my breathing, I’m pretty comfortable with a 45-50 second exhale. I’m sure I can work on that. I’ve had a sleep study about 5 years ago and no real apnea. I will definitely experiment with the pulse ox at night. But maybe my problem is not being driven by what I thought.

My blood pressure is frequently extremely low (even with salt increase). This is a genetic thing because I am not super fit. And, my pulse is 47-52 right now. Again, not because I’m an athlete (thyroid/hormones are in good ranges too). Circulation is poor I think too (cold fingers right now as I type this in warm San Diego). Regarding breathing, sometimes I’ll notice that I’m hardly breathing at all…almost as though my body is forgetting to breath. Anyway, I just feel slooooowwww on all fronts. Mom was always sluggish too, and she has severe AD, sadly.

If any more thoughts come to mind, please share. In the mean time, I may go buy that mouth tape:). Thank you so much Julie and Tincup.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

SarahAnne wrote:If any more thoughts come to mind, please share.
What typically happens as you increase your serum CO2 level is things feel warmer. I've certainly experienced this during breathing exercises. Lower CO2 will tend to constrict blood vessels and other structures. Hence increasing CO2 tolerance can be good for asthmatics as it relaxes the airways.

I'll see what else I can come up with. A 45 to 50 second exhale is a good starting place. I live at 5,500' and it is interesting as I was vacationing 1/4 mile south of the Oceanside pier on the strand 6-7 weeks ago. I noticed all my breath hold times materially increased at sea level.

SpO2 of 98-99% is what you'd expect of a healthy person at sea level (mine is lower at altitude, generally). If you are walking, try cadence breathing - breathe in for 3-5 or whatever steps and then out for the same. Of course breathe in through your nose and breathe diaphragmatically. This will send the air to the lowest lobes of the lungs, where the greatest gas transfer takes place. You really aren't going to get your SpO2 higher, we want to get good utilization of the O2 you do have.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Another approach with this class by Simon Borg-Olivier. I've not taken it, but have thought about it. I've watched other lectures and gone through breathing exercises with Simon and thought him quite good. Here is a post by him on the topic.
Tincup
E3,E4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Another approach with this class by Simon Borg-Olivier. I've not taken it, but have thought about it. I've watched other lectures and gone through breathing exercises with Simon and thought him quite good. Here is a post by him on the topic.
Tincup
E3,E4
baysidewalk
Contributor
Contributor

Post by baysidewalk »

Hi, back to the original post, I heard about Live02 on one of the online conferences put on by Marama. I’m really intrigued but want to try one with my husband who is also interested, before making that investment. I’m APOE4, also have Reynauds Syndrome and low to normal blood pressure. I follow the Bredeson diet protocol with some failure on holidays (!} but I try. It’s getting harder. I’m 74. I need to do more aerobic exercise, also I can’t seem to make myself do meditation or Brain HQ consistently. Motivation is my biggest challenge even though I know the consequences. Anyway I think my husband would do the Live02 but we do want to try it first. We are in San Diego.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

baysidewalk wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:17 pm Hi, back to the original post, I heard about Live02 on one of the online conferences put on by Marama. I’m really intrigued but want to try one with my husband who is also interested, before making that investment. I’m APOE4, also have Reynauds Syndrome and low to normal blood pressure. I follow the Bredeson diet protocol with some failure on holidays (!} but I try. It’s getting harder. I’m 74. I need to do more aerobic exercise, also I can’t seem to make myself do meditation or Brain HQ consistently. Motivation is my biggest challenge even though I know the consequences. Anyway I think my husband would do the Live02 but we do want to try it first. We are in San Diego.
Hi baysidewalk, I think it is a good idea to try it out. I did a search on the LiveO2 website. It looks like from your location in San Diego, the nearest places are in the LA area.
https://liveo2.com/map/
Please let us know what you think if you try it out.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
aphorist
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by aphorist »

There is some preliminary evidence that HBOT with air breaks stimulates HIF-1alpha, which is thought to be a participant in angiogenesis and 'brain repair'.

Dr. Shai Efrati uses a protocol with air breaks during HBOT. For example, see:

Hachmo, Efrati (2020) HBOT increases telomere length and decreases immunosenescence in isolated blood cells
Aging. (2020). Retrieved 20 December 2020, from https://www.aging-us.com/article/202188/text

There protocol entailed HBOT @ 2 ATA in 90 minute sessions with 5 minute air breaks every 20 minutes. 5 sessions a week, 60 sessions total.

The 5 minute air breaks where the brain is going from 100% oxygen to normal oxygen levels are thought to trigger hypoxia (and HIF-1a). I think a good hyperbaric protocol would include these air breaks every ~15 minutes or so.