PPI's and Apoe4's

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

PPI's and Apoe4's

Post by Jan18 »

I have to take a PPI to heal some stomach inflammation (temporarily...I have a follow up to my endoscopy in 4 weeks) and am wondering if anyone knows how that might affect the Bredesen protocol or my blood markers. Should I be doing anything to counteract the PPI's?

Thanks!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: PPI's and Apoe4's

Post by TheresaB »

Jan18 wrote:I have to take a PPI to heal some stomach inflammation (temporarily...I have a follow up to my endoscopy in 4 weeks) and am wondering if anyone knows how that might affect the Bredesen protocol or my blood markers. Should I be doing anything to counteract the PPI's?
PPI stands for proton pump inhibitor. We tend to think proton pump inhibitors only address stomach acid issues, but proton pumps aren’t limited to the stomach; they are present in every cell that has mitochondria, in other words every cell except red blood cells. So PPIs inhibit mitochondrial function in every cell.

If I were you, I would double down on all measures to keep your mitochondria healthy during the time you're on the PPIs and get off the PPIs as soon as you are healed.

You may want to visit the wiki on mitochondria. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Mitochondria
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Jan18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: PPI's and Apoe4's

Post by Jan18 »

TheresaB wrote:
Jan18 wrote:I have to take a PPI to heal some stomach inflammation (temporarily...I have a follow up to my endoscopy in 4 weeks) and am wondering if anyone knows how that might affect the Bredesen protocol or my blood markers. Should I be doing anything to counteract the PPI's?
PPI stands for proton pump inhibitor. We tend to think proton pump inhibitors only address stomach acid issues, but proton pumps aren’t limited to the stomach; they are present in every cell that has mitochondria, in other words every cell except red blood cells. So PPIs inhibit mitochondrial function in every cell.

If I were you, I would double down on all measures to keep your mitochondria healthy during the time you're on the PPIs and get off the PPIs as soon as you are healed.

You may want to visit the wiki on mitochondria. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Mitochondria
Thank you, TheresaB. I will read how to do that in your linked info!