Tooth loss correlates with cognitive impairment and dementia risks

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Tooth loss correlates with cognitive impairment and dementia risks

Post by circular »

Dose-Response Meta-Analysis on Tooth Loss With the Risk of Cognitive Impairment and Dementia (2021)
Conclusions and Implications

Moderate-quality evidence suggested tooth loss was independently associated with cognitive impairment and dementia; risk of diminished cognitive function increased with incremental numbers of teeth lost. Furthermore, timely prosthodontic treatment with dentures may reduce the progression of cognitive decline related to tooth loss.
Those having teeth removed for fear that root infections may get to the brain may feel a bit caught between a rock and a hard place on reading this. At least dentures—and presumably bridges and other compensation for lost teeth—reduce the risk. So if one can afford to cover their bases, this news may not change much. The bigger risk could be having teeth removed and then not replacing them with something to act as a 'tooth'.

I find there are quite a few papers on this topic, but I don't plan to look into it any further.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Tooth loss correlates with cognitive impairment and dementia risks

Post by Quantifier »

Since replacing the teeth pretty much averts the risk, I would guess the correlation isn't merely to teeth loss as a marker for infection. I would guess people missing teeth (and especially multiple teeth) are more prone to poor nutrition, especially getting less fiber. Additionally, they may have communication problems and social difficulties that may lead to reduction in cognitive reserve.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Quantifier wrote:Since replacing the teeth pretty much averts the risk, I would guess the correlation isn't merely to teeth loss as a marker for infection. I would guess people missing teeth (and especially multiple teeth) are more prone to poor nutrition, especially getting less fiber. Additionally, they may have communication problems and social difficulties that may lead to reduction in cognitive reserve.
I was thinking about that too, and I wrote the corresponding author for a copy of the paper to see the details.

There are also papers discussing the possible contribution of mastication/chewing to neurogenesis. Controlling other risk factors would also help research into this possibly independent mechanism connecting tooth loss with cognitive decline. One can see Revisiting the link between cognitive decline and masticatory dysfunction from 2018, where the authors go into more nuance.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

circular wrote:There are also papers discussing the possible contribution of mastication/chewing to neurogenesis. Controlling other risk factors would also help research into this possibly independent mechanism connecting tooth loss with cognitive decline.
From what is reported in James Nestor's Breath, mastication is a big deal, from an early age. Our ancestors, up to about 400 years ago, mostly had straight teeth and plenty of room in their jaws for all their teeth (can be seen in the skulls). The processing of food and the lack of required mastication appears to have been a great boon to the orthodontics profession. Also not so good for airway size, potentially leading to things like sleep apnea. Apparently, chewing on one side then the other also induces a parasympathetic effect.

I'm also guessing that tooth loss can be a proxy for income and availability of healthcare, in general, in our society. I had a cat who passed at over 17 a couple of years ago. He only had 1 canine tooth left and few others. It didn't seem to impact his cognition as he caught a squirrel a month before he passed because of intestinal cancer. For those who don't know, squirrels are hard to catch. I'd personally be more worried about the infection in an infected tooth causing brain harm, than losing the tooth per se.

I had an infected root canal, discovered in February, 2020. Because of COVID, it was October before it got pulled. The first implant placement failed as my bone was not solid enough, so didn't get actually placed till end of June 2021. It will likely be Dec. 2021 before I actually get a crown tooth on top of the implant. It is my upper right center tooth, so I don't actually chew with it much.
Tincup
E3,E4
Quantifier
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Quantifier »

Tincup wrote: The processing of food and the lack of required mastication appears to have been a great boon to the orthodontics profession.
The introduction of utensils was also an important factor. In China skulls show more teeth crowding with the introduction of chopsticks, in Europe this correlates with introduction of forks.