Fatty15 Supplement?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

aardvarkgo wrote:Triglycerides are still normalish range: 100. Didn’t seem to go up.
LDL went from 117 to 156.
HDL up a few points actually, but still low at 34.
Total cholesterol up to 208 from a normal 167.

Our doc (Steven Gundry) wants Tg's <= HDL or said another way Tg/HDL <=1 (in mg/dL units). I'm 66 and at your age, I had low HDL and higher Tg's on a high carb, low fat vegan diet. My TC was ~150 mg/dL. Today, on a lower carb, higher fat diet (with relatively low saturated fats), my Tg's run in the 50's to low 60's and HDL is usually > mid 60's.

Dr. Dayan Goodenowe, in our recent ApoE4.info podcast, FB Live with Dr. Bredesen and his book, mentions that reverse cholesterol transport is an issue with ApoE4's. This is why they tend to have high LDL. Reverse cholesterol transport is conducted by HDL outside of the brain and by ApoE in the brain.

Ways to raise HDL include exercise and a lower carb diet, avoiding processed carbs.

The topic you originally posted on would be more generically searched on branched-chain fatty acids and normal odd-carbon-numbered fatty acids, as in these papers: 1 and 2.
Tincup
E3,E4