a novel strategy to fight dementia.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

a novel strategy to fight dementia.

Post by Doctor Lost »

Here's a novel strategy to reverse dementia, tested and shown to work n a small population. This seems similar to a number of approaches discussed here

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143446.htm
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: a novel strategy to fight dementia.

Post by Julie G »

Wow, Doc- great news! I needed that today. You are soooo right. THAT approach looks very familiar :D
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

I parrot Jul's sentiments! That's EXACTLY what she has, and many others here have, been touting since 2012! :D Wow. Wow. Just, WOW. Thank you, Dr. L! :)
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
zig
Contributor
Contributor

Post by zig »

I hope more research could isolate the relevant factor as this seems to be a hodgepodge of actions
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

I disagree. The human body is a complex system.

AD seems to occur on the weakest link of a number of factors and general health seems to a function of the countermeasures they are using. If your brain wasn't the week link in many of these, your heart would likely be the one that suffered first. Both are related to artery health. Getting enough sleep is good. Eating well and avoiding processed food is good. Not enough D3 is correlated with many diseases, as is bad teeth health (especially heart).
E3/E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I too support the multifactorial intervention theory. Its great news!
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

So here are the things she did,to improve her memory loss,

(1) eliminating all simple carbohydrates, leading to a weight loss of 20 pounds;
(2) eliminating gluten and processed food from her diet, with increased vegetables, fruits, and non-farmed fish;
(3) to reduce stress, she began yoga;
(4) as a second measure to reduce the stress of her job, she began to meditate for 20 minutes twice per day;
(5) she took melatonin each night;
(6) she increased her sleep from 4-5 hours per night to 7-8 hours per night;
(7) she took methylcobalamin each day;
(8) she took vitamin D3 each day;
(9) fish oil each day;
(10) CoQ10 each day;
(11) she optimized her oral hygiene using an electric flosser and electric toothbrush;
(12) following discussion with her primary care provider, she reinstated hormone replacement therapy that had been discontinued;
(13) she fasted for a minimum of 12 hours between dinner and breakfast, and for a minimum of three hours between dinner and bedtime;
(14) she exercised for a minimum of 30 minutes, 4-6 days per week.

I find this VERY encouraging, that there is someone out there studying this! As always, would be nice to know their APOE status..But at least it shows we are on the right track!! On bad days I wonder if all these changes really matter. On good days I know they do. Thx Dr. L :)
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

The cool thing is we do not know how much better she would be if she would have added krill oil for the astaxanthin, bio available curcumin for it's many benefits, fermented foods, increasing her HDL and improving her overall lipid profile, eating eggs to take care of choline deficiencies, eating organic vegetables to decrease possible herbicides and pesticides in the diet, as well as grass fed non hormonal beef and chicken to increase the omega 3 in the diet, as well as making her fish an oily cold water fish.
Add those and then get back to me for a few more.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Full paper has more strategies including some of WA's suggestions. Also ApoE status: http://www.impactaging.com/papers/v6/n9 ... 00690.html
Tincup
E3,E4
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

Thank you so much for posting full paper George. I wish we could see examples of the options for low carb diets given.