The First Survivors of Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
bambam
Contributor
Contributor

The First Survivors of Alzheimer's

Post by bambam »

This is my first post on this forum. My question is for Julie G. I just finished reading Dr. Bredensen's newest book The First Survivors of Alzheimer's. I have read all 3 of his books. My Dad passed away in 2018 from Alzheimer's. By the time Dr. Bredensen came on the scene it was too late for my Dad but hopefully not for me. I have incorporated a lot of what I have learned from Dr. Bredensen's books and am considering signing up for the PreCODE protocol.

First of all I want to thank you, Julie G. for your contributions to Dr. Bredensen's last two books as well as starting this APOE4 forum. I appreciate all that you are doing! My question involves your supplement list. It lists DHA 1000 mg. I am taking Omega-3 Phospholipids because I remember previously reading on this forum that those with APOE4 should use this. Do you suggest taking DHA instead? Also I was wondering if you are anyone else has heard about taking Lithium for Alzheimer’s prevention.

Thanks in advance for your answers and again for all that you do!
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The First Survivors of Alzheimer's

Post by SBee »

bambam wrote:This is my first post on this forum. My question is for Julie G. I just finished reading Dr. Bredensen's newest book The First Survivors of Alzheimer's. I have read all 3 of his books. My Dad passed away in 2018 from Alzheimer's. By the time Dr. Bredensen came on the scene it was too late for my Dad but hopefully not for me. I have incorporated a lot of what I have learned from Dr. Bredensen's books and am considering signing up for the PreCODE protocol.

First of all I want to thank you, Julie G. for your contributions to Dr. Bredensen's last two books as well as starting this APOE4 forum. I appreciate all that you are doing! My question involves your supplement list. It lists DHA 1000 mg. I am taking Omega-3 Phospholipids because I remember previously reading on this forum that those with APOE4 should use this. Do you suggest taking DHA instead? Also I was wondering if you are anyone else has heard about taking Lithium for Alzheimer’s prevention.

Thanks in advance for your answers and again for all that you do!
Welcome, bambam!

Thank you for taking the time to make your first post after having been a member of the site for the past couple of years! As you know, this community is extremely supportive and we're glad you have joined the conversation :D
I'm sorry to hear of your dad's passing from AD....your heartfelt determination to find a way to create a different outcome for yourself is truly admirable. It sounds like you are already quite knowledgeable about Dr. Bredesen's protocol and background and appear to be inspired to integrate additional prevention strategies into your lifestyle!
You asked about Lithium and DHA. Since we are all individuals, different types/amounts of supplements can impact us in different ways. You can find out more information about topics like these by utilizing the "magnifying glass" search icon next to your username. This allows you to research various topics of interest. So, for instance, if you searched for "lithium" you would find these posts by TheresaB, a Moderator and Board member:
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ium#p80257
https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ium#p78542
Thanks again for your inquiry and please feel free to reach out with additional questions! Other members with more expertise may respond as well.

Warmly,
Sue
SBee
ApoE2/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
bambam
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bambam »

Thank you Sue! I appreciate your kindness and support.
SBee
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SBee »

You are most welcome, bambam!
Hope you have a joyful day!
SBee
ApoE2/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My question involves your supplement list. It lists DHA 1000 mg. I am taking Omega-3 Phospholipids because I remember previously reading on this forum that those with APOE4 should use this. Do you suggest taking DHA instead? Also I was wondering if you are anyone else has heard about taking Lithium for Alzheimer’s prevention.
Hi bambam! I love your name. :D Things are written ages before they appear in the publishing world. I'm now taking 2g of DHA daily along with a diet rich in low mercury, wild-caught seafood. The evidence for extra DHA for E4 carriers is fair strong, whereas Dr. Patrick's phospholipid theory is still in the hypothesis stage. That said, I have great respect for Dr. Patrick, so I'm hedging my bets by also eating lots of seafood that's rich in phospholipid DHA.
Marinochka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Marinochka »

Hi Julie. I know you are taking DHA plasmologens. Are you taking additional 2g of any other DHA supplements or it is just plasmologens ?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie G wrote:The evidence for extra DHA for E4 carriers is fair strong ...
Nice summary of where you stand now Julie. I'm really curious … is there a go-to paper with the best evidence so far that E4s need more DHA? I do eat quite a bit of DHA rich, low mercury fish, but I can't supplement extra because the supplements hurt my joints, which are already too lax and just get worse on supplements that help people with stiff joints.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Marinochka wrote:Hi Julie. I know you are taking DHA plasmologens. Are you taking additional 2g of any other DHA supplements or it is just plasmologens ?
Hi Marinochka, I am quoting your post here and also quoting Julie G so she will know that you have asked her a question. If you want to ask a direct question to someone related to a post that person has made, it is helpful for you to quote the person so that a notification will be sent. (You will see that my quoting you has generated an email letting you know that.) It is possible that Julie G is following this thread and will see all posts here, but also possible that she will only see your post if you use the quotation marks in the right hand corner of her post. There is a WiKi section, How-To Get the Most out of the ApoE4.info websitethat explains more fully how to use the quote function, and also has a lot of useful tips on sending PM's, searching a topic of interest, and subscribing to threads.

Julie G wrote: I'm now taking 2g of DHA daily along with a diet rich in low mercury, wild-caught seafood. The evidence for extra DHA for E4 carriers is fair strong, whereas Dr. Patrick's phospholipid theory is still in the hypothesis stage. That said, I have great respect for Dr. Patrick, so I'm hedging my bets by also eating lots of seafood that's rich in phospholipid DHA.
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Julie. I know you are taking DHA plasmologens. Are you taking additional 2g of any other DHA supplements or it is just plasmologens ?
In the post above, I wasn't referencing the plasmalogen supplement, but rather Carlson's Elite DHA gems- 2g. But, yes, you are correct; I also take around .75ml of the Neuro plasmalogen supplement.
Nice summary of where you stand now Julie. I'm really curious … is there a go-to paper with the best evidence so far that E4s need more DHA? I do eat quite a bit of DHA rich, low mercury fish, but I can't supplement extra because the supplements hurt my joints, which are already too lax and just get worse on supplements that help people with stiff joints.
Rather than a single paper, it's more like a body of evidence summed up on page 187 of The End of Alzheimer's Program with references. Dr. Bredesen, Dr. Roa and I fairly recently did a Facebook Live for ApoE4 carriers. This was a topic we discussed.
bambam
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bambam »

Thank you Julie! The name is a short lived childhood nickname:)

I appreciate your answer. Mainly I was concerned with taking that much DHA, causing cholesterol to rise. I understand that as per Dr. Bredenson high cholesterol is not so much a problem as long as it is not oxidized, but so many doctors still worry about it.

Also I forgot to ask how you manage to take that long list of supplements while fasting. It doesn't make you nauseous ? :mrgreen:

Thanks again!