Hack for falling back asleep in middle of the night

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Hack for falling back asleep in middle of the night

Post by SusanJ »

I'm not one to chase after advice from miscellaneous blog posts. This one is a little different, because it's written by a Juilliard alumnus & faculty member who also has a degree in performance psychology, and coaches aspiring and professional musicians to do better, be it in the practice room, auditions or performing. I've followed his weekly articles for several years to improve my own performance, and have found many good, well researched, and cited practices.

Anyhoo, last week he posted a new article about how to fall back asleep, if you wake and your brain won't just turn off. Because we just moved and my brain was busy creating my to do list in the middle of the night, I found the timing impeccable, and the advice spot on. This approach worked well for me to get back to sleep after several middle of the night ruminations..

Here's the article.

My advice would be to pick a word that doesn't repeat a letter, so instead of "bedtime", I use "daisy" because if you run out of "E" words while working through "bedtime", the second "E" can be annoying. ;) And have a spare word in mind in case you get through the first word and are still awake. I had to use my second word just once.

Hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Sweet dreams.
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Hack for falling back asleep in middle of the night

Post by Nords »

Wow. This is working very well. Thank you!
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Nords wrote:Wow. This is working very well. Thank you!
Hi, Nords, glad it works for you! The process seems so simple to believe it would work, but it has not failed me yet over several weeks now.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

SusanJ wrote:The process seems so simple to believe it would work, but it has not failed me yet over several weeks now.
I would not say it is 100% for me, but it does work most of the time. I'm a tough case! I like the app better as I don't have to think up new words, just visualize what is said :D

I also do this body scan beforehand. It came from another group I'm in
How To Get to Sleep in 2 Minutes Under Any Condition.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tincup
E3,E4
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Tincup wrote:I like the app better as I don't have to think up new words, just visualize what is said
Interesting about the app. Haven't tried it, mostly because I can get back to sleep within about 3 letters now. I've even quit using a word and just start at some random letter in the alphabet.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

SusanJ wrote: Interesting about the app. Haven't tried it, mostly because I can get back to sleep within about 3 letters now. I've even quit using a word and just start at some random letter in the alphabet.
Hi Susan, This is such an interesting sleep intervention. As soon as I read your post and the linked article, I g]began pr timing it. The first few times I tried this I used a word. Now, like you, I randomly select a letter, and if I need a new one, I pick another. Very simple. I do find it relaxing, and think it is helping me fall back to sleep quickly when I wake up in the night. I haven’t tried the app yet.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, Susan. This is definitely helping me easily fall back to sleep most nights. If something is “up” for me and I’m unaware of it and go to bed with whatever that something is unresolved, it’s less effective.

I’ve found the need to change the word I’m using every five days or so. Otherwise, the activity becomes too repetitive, and I tend to pick the same words for each letter. As a result, my mind wanders, which defeats the purpose of what I’m attempting to do.

I like the idea of just starting with a random letter. I’ll try that.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
BrianR
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by BrianR »

SusanJ wrote:This approach worked well for me to get back to sleep after several middle of the night ruminations..
Well, I was skeptical, but after trying it, I have to join the crowd and report that this technique has worked amazingly well for me. Thanks for posting it.

(As an alternative for some, my sister said that she just mentally recites the hail mary prayer a number of times and that also works to block off rumination and let her slide back into sleep.)
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

SusanJ wrote:My advice would be to pick a word that doesn't repeat a letter, so instead of "bedtime", I use "daisy" because if you run out of "E" words while working through "bedtime", the second "E" can be annoying. ;) And have a spare word in mind in case you get through the first word and are still awake. I had to use my second word just once.
I've used this tactic for a solid 11 weeks-- long enough to form a habit-- and it's a winner.

I have not had to go beyond the first "e" in "bedtime." I don't watch the clock, and that's the nice part. It only takes 5-10 minutes and I never think to check the time. When I wake up in the middle of the night (bathroom or a loud noise) then I can go right back to sleep.
When I wake up at my usual time (4-5 AM) I'm fully rested.

Best of all, I'm not wasting my time thinking about my breathing or reviewing my life choices or trying to shut off the rock&roll soundtrack in my head.

Thanks again for posting this, @SusanJ!
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Nords wrote:Thanks again for posting this, @SusanJ!
My pleasure. Happy to share my hacks to help my fellow E4 travelers get a decent night's sleep.

My husband has started using it to deal with the stress of dealing with moving his sister to memory care after his brother-in-law's recent passing. It's not a 100% for him, but it's helping.