Chronometer Advice....Weight Gain

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Chronometer Advice....Weight Gain

Post by Richard McG »

Looking for some help/advice on gaining more weight.

Ok, this is a typical OMAD for me (pls see attachment). Still trying to get my weight up. Down from 162 (went as low as 128) to presently a daily high of 145 (~138 just before mealtime). 6ft, BMI ~19

Trying to get the weight back consistently. Drink lots of water throughout the day. Fluctuating 5-7 pounds a day seems high or is that normal?
Struggling to find caloric-dense foods low in saturated fats. Eating lots of nuts but worried this might increase my LDL. Right now my LDL is good but just worried about what I will have to consume in the future just to maintain my weight.

Should I increase my proteins?

Ketones are usually around the .05 to .07

If my chronometer is correct I'm eating 3400+ calories a day.

Any suggestions on maybe some other food groups/items I could include/substitute? Trying to stay with OMAD if I can.

Thanks so much, friends!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
52 years of age, 4/4, BMI ~19, Omad, No cognitive decline as of yet ;)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Chronometer Advice....Weight Gain

Post by SusanJ »

Richard McG wrote:Any suggestions on maybe some other food groups/items I could include/substitute?
If your insulin and A1c numbers are okay, I'd say you have room to increase your carbs. Carbs are the only way I can put on and keep on weight - more fat never helps me. Aim for the healthy ones like a sweet potato, some jicama or additional root veggies.

Looks like you could also add protein if you're not comfortable with raising your carbs.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Ok, thank you appreciate that! Still a newbie I'm afraid.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

That sounds like a good plan. When you're underweight, the rule of thumb is to use your ideal weight (vs. your current weight) to calculate protein needs. With an eye on promoting longevity, Dr. Bredesen typically recommends between 0.8-1.0mg/kg LBM with many subgroups needing more- including those who are underweight. Underweight folks should target 1.1 to 1.2 mg/kg LBM based upon your ideal weight and that limit ONLY applies to animal protein. Pea protein is not a complete protein as it's lacking methionine and unfortunately full of anti-nutrients hindering absorption. Once you crunch the numbers, I think you'll find you should be eating way more animal protein than one egg and four oz of salmon.

I'm super proud of you for working on this. Keep up the great work and please keep us posted on your journey.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

One thing that I forgot to add, when folks are underweight and not consuming adequate protein, we begin to worry about sarcopenia or lack of muscle mass which is an independent risk factor for cognitive decline. I suspect you're already engaging in a strength training program, but if not, please consider adding that as you increase dietary protein.
Ketones are usually around the .05 to .07
Out of curiosity, now that you're regaining weight, are your crazy high (40 ACEs) still occurring? Thanks for sharing. Were learning from your experience.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Thanks so much, Julie!! Will increase healthy proteins further. What are your favourites? Always have grass-fed and finished items re. chicken or bison/beef. Maybe some hemp seeds? Eating quite a lot of nuts as it is.

If my mercury levels are very low still could I eat salmon almost every day?

I didn't realize the LBM calculation was based ONLY on animal protein! oops on my part.

Just looking at options in Ch 12 pg 180 :)

No luck with reducing the ACEs.......I was around 135 high then - now 145 on a good day :)
Still 40 ACE across the board, unfortunately.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I didn't realize the LBM calculation was based ONLY on animal protein! oops on my part.
The protein restriction only applies to animal products. We choose not to include the incomplete protein from plants as all vegetables have some amount of protein and we didn't want folks limiting their non-starchy vegetables for fear of exceeding protein recommendations. I track animal products separately with the "Add Note" function on Cronometer.

In the End of Alzheimer's Program, we prioritize low mercury, wild-caught seafood (like salmon) for DHA and eggs for (choline). Grass-fed meat and organ meats are other good options. I eat wild-caught Alaskan sock-eye salmon around 4 times a week and so far my mercury levels are low.

Crazy about your ACEs. Would you jump on a Zoom call with me and the CEO of Biosense to try to figure out what's going on? I think we have something important to learn from you.
Richard McG
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Richard McG »

Sure, Julie.....I had talked to him and his chief engineer back at the beginning to make sure I had the updated firmware and that it was working properly. Mind you that was months ago when you first posted about their amazing product. Will forward my contact info. Thanks again for all your help.