Cognitive risks associated wth general anethesia in the elderly

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Josiah
Contributor
Contributor

Cognitive risks associated wth general anethesia in the elderly

Post by Josiah »

I witnessed a 90-year-old woman undergo a profound cognitive change for the worse immediately after undergoing a hip replacement under general anesthesia. I was told that these events are not uncommon but that most patients improve in a matter of weeks. In the case I witnessed no improvement has been forthcoming going on a year. If anything her memory has undergone further decline.

Has this phenomenon been studied by those in the Bredesen orbit? I need to advise an 80-year-old friend who has major surgery in her future and I'd like to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible.
E3/E3 male age 84
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Cognitive risks associated wth general anethesia in the elderly

Post by TheresaB »

Josiah wrote:I witnessed a 90-year-old woman undergo a profound cognitive change for the worse immediately after undergoing a hip replacement under general anesthesia. I was told that these events are not uncommon but that most patients improve in a matter of weeks. In the case I witnessed no improvement has been forthcoming going on a year. If anything her memory has undergone further decline.

Has this phenomenon been studied by those in the Bredesen orbit? I need to advise an 80-year-old friend who has major surgery in her future and I'd like to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible.
I don't know about the Bredesen orbit, but we do have a thread where we've discussed it here:

General Anesthesia & ApoE4
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4