Gut microorganisms and the brain ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gut microorganisms and the brain ...

Post by circular »

ALZFORUM reporting on BDNF study - that the met version of the BDNF gene colludes with ApoE4.

http://www.alzforum.org/news/research-n ... alzheimers
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Will the REAL BDNF gene please stand up?!! I've seen rs4680 mentioned on our board and now this study appears to reference rs6265. I don't win either way as I'm hetero on both of those genes, but a consensus would be nice!
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Silver, I was getting around to this as well. I do not know which thread it was in but Stavia had one that met/met wàs good and then I read this and val/val is good. I was like, whoa dude did you get a loser or what? Now it appears maybe Stavia's was a different rs number? If that is what you are saying Silver, it appears that maybe both of these need to be in the same thread. Maybe Julie can move them if that is so? At the very least I have to check 23andme. Thanks for rs numbers.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Tincup
E3,E4
Teezer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Teezer »

Silverlining wrote:Will the REAL BDNF gene please stand up?!! I've seen rs4680 mentioned on our board and now this study appears to reference rs6265. I don't win either way as I'm hetero on both of those genes, but a consensus would be nice!
This prompted me to look up rs6265 on 23andme. I'm recorded as having CC as the SNP values.

SNPedia, however, shows the possible values as A and G. :o ???
It's weird how I'm constantly surprised by the passage of time when it's literally the most predictable thing in the universe. -- xkcd
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Teezer,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-nuc ... lymorphism generally A & T are the same as are C & G. So CC can be interpreted as GG. The same for A & T.
Tincup
E3,E4
Teezer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Teezer »

Ok, this is something I'd not heard of before.

The bases are guanine, adenine, cytosine, and thymine.

So two cytosines are equivalent to two guanines?
It's weird how I'm constantly surprised by the passage of time when it's literally the most predictable thing in the universe. -- xkcd
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Typically true; better explanation here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GC-content BUT, we have seen exceptions :roll:
sarahb12
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by sarahb12 »

So I have one of each on the rs6265.

I assume the reason there are more AD with A variant is that there isn't as much BDNF. Therefore, it seems reasonable to do things to increase BDNF (which is true for anybody, but especially true for As).
E3/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

But can we add healthy, preformed BDNF for our cells' use, or is it a matter of our BDNF gene being prompted to make more, and if the latter, are there known epigenetic tweaks that will cause it to create healthy BDNF instead of funky BDNF. Exercise and DHA improve BDNF but how?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.