Proton Pump Inhibitors correlated with AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Proton Pump Inhibitors correlated with AD

Post by SusanJ »

bladedmind wrote:GERD is returning now - lung pain and congestion, irritated sinuses, ears, eyes.
Have you ever read any of Norm Robillard's work on GERD?

https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/20 ... flux-gerd/

I read his IBS book, and it really helped me understand why certain foods where problematic, while others, that IBS experts said were bad, didn't bother me at all. Can't speak for his book on GERD, but might be worth poking around his site and maybe you'll find a nugget or two.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Thanks very much for the detailed information. I was glad to learn from it. Higher carb diets and bacterial overgrowth can cause GERD. I'm also aware of the low stomach acid, pop vinegar pills, idea.

I welcome all information, because one never knows in advance what will help. It doesn't fit my profile though. I eat low but not very low carbs, and recent tests of two types show no bacterial overgrowth or imbalance. My problem is mechanical. My esophagus is uncoordinated -- caused by viral infection or autoimmunity or an unknown factor damaging the nerves. So I'm like a bird - unlike normal humans I can't eat or drink hanging upside down - I rely on gravity alone.

Anyway, my surgery referral turned out to be a misunderstanding among physicians. I need no dramatic interventions.
And I did get to consult with a world leader on the malady. They were quite confident that the ppi-dementia association is not established, and don't see it clinically. I'm getting by on a half PPI dose a day along with adjustable bed elevation, and he told me I could try one full dose every three days to further minimize exposure. And to be safe I will keep up on my mitochondrial repair supplements. Thanks again.
NF52
Support Team
Support Team

Post by NF52 »

bladedmind wrote:... My esophagus is uncoordinated -- caused by viral infection or autoimmunity or an unknown factor damaging the nerves. So I'm like a bird - unlike normal humans I can't eat or drink hanging upside down - I rely on gravity alone.
Anyway, my surgery referral turned out to be a misunderstanding among physicians. I need no dramatic interventions.
And I did get to consult with a world leader on the malady. They were quite confident that the ppi-dementia association is not established, and don't see it clinically...
Just want to congratulate you on getting reassuring news from experts in the field! I have a son who was born with his esophagus not connected to his stomach, requiring surgery when he was a day old, and again when he was 5 weeks old to repair a closed pyloric valve between his stomach and intestine. So, while he does not look like a bird, he did sometimes look like a scene from the Exorcist due to projectile vomiting as a newborn, and continues to have a cough that could startle birds and nervous humans. Yet he, and I hope you, have managed to defy early predictions of doom and gloom and find how to live with your "uncoordinated" esophagus. Cheers for doing that--I'd expect nothing less from our British friends!
4/4 and still an optimist!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi bladedmind,

Sounds like you have your understanding of it under control and have a good non-surgical solution. What a relief that must be not to be going in for surgery!

At this point this is probably not helpful to you, but I’ll deposit it here for others who may be looking into swallowing issues. It touches on the vagus nerve connection.

https://www.mobiledysphagiadiagnostics. ... ve-part-4/
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
bladedmind
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by bladedmind »

Yeah, my vagus nerve is probably implicated. By the way, if there is a surgical error, the vagus can be damaged, leading to lifetime diarrhea or death I'm told. Low odds but high costs.

Joe Cohen, who I take not with a grain but with a cup of salt, advocates pulsed electromagnetic field (PEMF) therapy for vagus tuning. https://selfhacked.com/blog/32-ways-to- ... -about-it/