Albion Mg and Ca labeling scam goes to court

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Albion Mg and Ca labeling scam goes to court

Post by Hepoberman »

Who says there is no regulation on supplements. All I need is accurate and truthful labels...

There has been a class action filing against Albion Laboratories and Bluebonnet Nutrition Corp for sneaking magnesium oxide in their Magnesium Glycinate supplements to save costs. (without disclosure)

"3. In an effort to cut costs while maintaining demand, Defendants blend Glycinate
with Oxide but do not list Oxide as an ingredient anywhere on the Product label. They do,
however, list Glycinate as an ingredient on the "Supplement Facts" panel. This enables
Defendants to charge a price premium for the Product by charging the same price for the Product
as would be charged for Glycinate"

http://www.toxinless.com/magnesium#

https://www.truthinadvertising.org/wp-c ... laint-.pdf

If you are taking supplements for which Albion provided the ingredients, beware.

Hep
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Albion Mg and Ca labeling scam goes to court

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Now the question becomes what is wrong with magnesium oxide and what is right about magnesium glycinate?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Not dishing the fact that false labeling is against the law at all, just concerned as to what happens if you thought you bought glycinate and got oxide would it kill you or effect your health?

Also, I don't think Andrew Hoffman is the FDA, at first glance it appears that a private citizen is trying to regulate Albion by monetary awards against them by using the court system. Which is what the FDA would do upon non compliance or regulations if they regulate something, however they would cause the operations to cease production and obtain it much faster. It is good to see people using the court system and now we have to see who wins.

For those that don't live in Fl the first lawyers listed are known by their TV ads as Morgan and Morgan for the people. Their main principle was for marijuana for the people this year and failed in achieving his goal, but vows to fight on to bring marijuana to the people, so it is not surprising to see them want to bring glycinate for the people either and that they had time to work on glycinate for the people.
truth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by truth »

Dr. Perlmutter's "BrainSustain" supplement uses Albion's magnesium:

https://www.xymogen.com/products/produc ... spx?pid=25
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

WA,

There are data that suggest glycinate is more bioavailable - absorbed in digestive process. Most consider oxide to be least bioavailable. Albion has made a big deal about their patented glycinate formualtion and how much more bioavailable it is.
Results indicated relatively poor bioavailability of magnesium oxide (fractional absorption 4 per cent)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1179 ... t=Abstract

I take buckets (>4g/day) of mag. I don't include oxide in the mix, I do include dimagnesium malate (an Albion product), mag chloride, mag bicarbonate and a non-Albion glycinate.

Oxide isn't going to kill you, but you aren't getting what you're paying for...
Tincup
E3,E4
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Ugh, still...

I take Magnesium L-Threonate. It's purported to be the most bioavailable.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Maybe only until Citizen Kane sues them, Lilly?
Casila
New User
New User

Post by Casila »

The court action i read was denied as Albion is a supplier of ingredients and not the manufacturer responsible for labelling. ( even though Albion insist that the label only indicate the blend. )
I just bought via iherb , Solgar chelated magnesium 250 tablets which has on the ingredient label supplement facts: magnesium 400mg (as magnesium glycinate chelate, magnesium oxide)+, +Albion a registered trademark Albion Laboratories,Inc.
thus i donot know what mg of Magnesium is available as chelate nor as oxide.
this problem has not been resolved .
BEWARE.
NoNotMe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by NoNotMe »

Welcome Casila,

We're happy you've contributed to this thread again. Thank you for providing information that you have found helpful. We truly appreciate additional posts that keep informing us. Please consider staying active on OUR STORIES. This is an interested place to post and stay updated of new member experiences and knowledge. Additionally the PRIMER is a guide offering great details of the APOE 4 allele. It was written by a doctor who herself is a "4:4" and doing very well preventatively. She's inspiring!

We'd love to keep hearing from you.

In Best Health,

Erin
Functional Medicine Health Coach
Integrative Nutritionalist