NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NBC Nightly News & Dr. Isaacson Tonight

Post by LillyBritches »

ERMAWGERD, Max! Welcome! :D :D :D *happy dance* - also - thanks for giving us the 4-1-1 on that elusive amino acid. I was all, like, whhhhaaaa?

Hope you didn't mind my labeling you "the young dude." :lol:

Yeah, so I'm just being selfish - I've been trying to get into Isaacson's program for a few months. Two of his assistants were supposed to call me back but never did. One was pretty adamant that I have an immediate relative with an AD DX, which I don't. :( I told her, "Look - I'm ApoE4/ApoE4. That's about the highest genetic risk one can have for LOAD. Please tell Dr. Isaacson. He'll know what it is."

*crickets*

I even emailed the good doctor re same - succinctly - pffffttt. Never heard from him.

Okay, I'll admit that I live in DC, went to NYU, and would love to have my preventative neurologist in NYC. Hey. My HRT doc is there - anything to get into the city early and often.

'Kay, I'm rambling...but it is just. so. cool. that you're here! :D How is your precious mom? She's beautiful. :) (((Max)))
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

Maxlugavere wrote:Hi guys. I'm the subject of both this piece tonight as well as the WSJ piece a few months ago. More to come! Feel free to ask me anything!
Hi Max, thanks for stopping in! You are so kind to take the time to correspond with us.

I wonder, Do you have a "do not eat this" list?
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Yes Lilly I saw it on tv last nite and I tried to look at it again on the link provided and all I got was a comcast commercial on that link.
So I guess what I am saying is, Hello is there anybody out there? Can you here me?
Hello Max and best wishes for you and your Mom.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Hi Max, so brave to come forward publicly. Thank you. As a MTHFR hetero, I run a homocysteine of 10.6, so like Julie, I'm very interested in how you decreased your level. It's also interesting that Dr, Isaacson is focusing on this measurement for AD prevention.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Kitano wrote:Hi Max, so brave to come forward publicly. Thank you. As a MTHFR hetero, I run a homocysteine of 10.6, so like Julie, I'm very interested in how you decreased your level. It's also interesting that Dr, Isaacson is focusing on this measurement for AD prevention.
Agree with Kitano and others on your bravery. Thanks!

Isaacson sounds like a wonderful doc. I wonder about a few things though:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alzheimers- ... 1410823276
"I do all the things I tell my patients to do," Dr. Isaacson said. "I eat berries like crazy. I drink coffee. I have mocha in the morning—CocoaVia, the same [supplement] I tell my patients to use." Dr. Isaacson says there is enough evidence showing that each of these can help protect against cognitive decline. He also recommends moderate alcohol consumption.
Does he recommend moderate alcohol even for APOE-ε4 carriers? If so, I'd love to know why, given that the balance of the evidence seems to suggest that even small amounts of alcohol are either neutral or dangerous for ε4s (only a couple studies show a small positive effect, like the Rotterdam study).

And CocoaVia contains maltodextrin. Why not use pure cacao powder (one of the ones shown not to have high levels of heavy metals)? Maybe he thinks it's a small enough amount of maltodextrin that it doesn't matter.

And the evidence on coffee and Alzheimer's is pretty mixed (it's stronger when it comes to Parkinson's), particularly in men, but at worst it's probably harmless (assuming it doesn't negate the effects of melatonin). And maybe he thinks a bit of gustatory pleasure in the morning is a good general tonic. Cheers to that!

GB

P.S. Check out the cool portal he started:

http://www.alzu.org/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's a previous thread covering Max/Dr. Isaacson with the WSJ article:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=747&hilit=Isaacson

Quick WSJ hack tip from Max to bypass the paywall:
And also, you can google the headline of the WSJ article and click through there to bypass the paywall. Really simple hack for the future :)
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Hepoberman wrote:
Maxlugavere wrote:Hi guys. I'm the subject of both this piece tonight as well as the WSJ piece a few months ago. More to come! Feel free to ask me anything!
Hi Max, thanks for stopping in! You are so kind to take the time to correspond with us.

I wonder, Do you have a "do not eat this" list?
I avoid all sugar, refined carbs, and try to avoid grains in general. I eat as low carb as I can, while emphasizing healthy fats and proteins. Lots of nuts, green tea, coffee, grass-fed meat, coconut oil, etc.
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

Gilgamesh wrote:
Kitano wrote:Hi Max, so brave to come forward publicly. Thank you. As a MTHFR hetero, I run a homocysteine of 10.6, so like Julie, I'm very interested in how you decreased your level. It's also interesting that Dr, Isaacson is focusing on this measurement for AD prevention.
Agree with Kitano and others on your bravery. Thanks!

Isaacson sounds like a wonderful doc. I wonder about a few things though:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/alzheimers- ... 1410823276
"I do all the things I tell my patients to do," Dr. Isaacson said. "I eat berries like crazy. I drink coffee. I have mocha in the morning—CocoaVia, the same [supplement] I tell my patients to use." Dr. Isaacson says there is enough evidence showing that each of these can help protect against cognitive decline. He also recommends moderate alcohol consumption.
Does he recommend moderate alcohol even for APOE-ε4 carriers? If so, I'd love to know why, given that the balance of the evidence seems to suggest that even small amounts of alcohol are either neutral or dangerous for ε4s (only a couple studies show a small positive effect, like the Rotterdam study).

And CocoaVia contains maltodextrin. Why not use pure cacao powder (one of the ones shown not to have high levels of heavy metals)? Maybe he thinks it's a small enough amount of maltodextrin that it doesn't matter.

And the evidence on coffee and Alzheimer's is pretty mixed (it's stronger when it comes to Parkinson's), particularly in men, but at worst it's probably harmless (assuming it doesn't negate the effects of melatonin). And maybe he thinks a bit of gustatory pleasure in the morning is a good general tonic. Cheers to that!

GB

P.S. Check out the cool portal he started:

http://www.alzu.org/
I drink moderately but when I do it's always the spirit on ice, never with any caloric mixers. Red wine (resveratrol) is a staple. Agree re: CocoaVia, wish it didn't have the additives. Those flavanols rule though.
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

I've been taking this and it has reduced my homocysteine:

Not sure if it's the best but has worked and is a tasty, sugar-free lozenge. Dr. Isaacson says I should add B6. In general feeling great.
Maxlugavere
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Maxlugavere »

LillyBritches wrote:ERMAWGERD, Max! Welcome! :D :D :D *happy dance* - also - thanks for giving us the 4-1-1 on that elusive amino acid. I was all, like, whhhhaaaa?

Hope you didn't mind my labeling you "the young dude." :lol:

Yeah, so I'm just being selfish - I've been trying to get into Isaacson's program for a few months. Two of his assistants were supposed to call me back but never did. One was pretty adamant that I have an immediate relative with an AD DX, which I don't. :( I told her, "Look - I'm ApoE4/ApoE4. That's about the highest genetic risk one can have for LOAD. Please tell Dr. Isaacson. He'll know what it is."

*crickets*

I even emailed the good doctor re same - succinctly - pffffttt. Never heard from him.

Okay, I'll admit that I live in DC, went to NYU, and would love to have my preventative neurologist in NYC. Hey. My HRT doc is there - anything to get into the city early and often.

'Kay, I'm rambling...but it is just. so. cool. that you're here! :D How is your precious mom? She's beautiful. :) (((Max)))
What I've learned is that it's absolutely never too late to make a difference w/ your brains health by making the right choices!